Hello from Sweden

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from Sweden

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:28 pm
I've read a lot of philosophy for quite a while now. The last years I've mainly been drawn to continental philosophy. Hiedegger, Lacan, Derrida, Zizek, Foucault and the rest of the gang of clever people. But not only.

I used to hang on IIDB, (I still do) but making fun of logically incoherent theists gets old. I'm hoping for discussion less focused on religion here.

Anyway... I've got plenty of questions and hope there's clever people here who can help. Of course I'll do what I can to aid others with whatever knowledge I have, if able.

Best regards
-Tom

No0ne

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:53 pm
@DrZoidberg phil,
Hi, welcome to philosophy forum, I'm sure you will find meany intresting thing's.

I'm looking forward to your point of view on those thing'sSmile

I insure you that there will be alot of people that will share there thought's on your question's, If you have question's on where would be the best place to ask those question's just ask around.

boagie

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:39 pm
@DrZoidberg phil,
Dr Zoidberg,Smile

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you will not miss a stroke in engaging in the dialogues, there are alot of believers here, and the topic of religion is prominent, but it is otherwise worthwhile, and it is one of the more civil site around. So, again welcome DrZoidberg, we are most pleased you have chosen to join us!! boagie:D

Justin

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:26 am
@DrZoidberg phil,
Welcome DrZoidberg! Thanks for the intro and you'll find a good many discussions in this forum with mutual learning and discussion. Glad that you found us on your journey and please make yourself at home.

DrZoidberg phil

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 03:59 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Dr Zoidberg,Smile

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you will not miss a stroke in engaging in the dialogues, there are alot of believers here, and the topic of religion is prominent, but it is otherwise worthwhile, and it is one of the more civil site around. So, again welcome DrZoidberg, we are most pleased you have chosen to join us!! boagie:D

Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against believers, (I assume you mean theistic believers?). What bores me is for or against poop flinging. There is no religious proofs that are limited to one theistic faith. All the so far presented proofs are valid for several theistic faiths and/or sects, which defeats most of the point of presenting it, since correct worship and correct belief is so central to all the big ones. From a philosophical stand-point, its just a non-event as it never ever gets anywhere.

Arjen

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:40 am
@DrZoidberg phil,
Hi Tom, Smile

I was just reading this little topic and I felt it needed to say that I have not encountered even one theory that actually proved 'God'. Nor have I encoutered even one theory which withlayed 'God'. I indeed you have found such proofs, please share them with me (so I can tear the proofs apart...Smile ).

DrZoidberg phil

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:15 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Hi Tom, Smile

I was just reading this little topic and I felt it needed to say that I have not encountered even one theory that actually proved 'God'. Nor have I encoutered even one theory which withlayed 'God'. I indeed you have found such proofs, please share them with me (so I can tear the proofs apart...Smile ).

Which is my entire point. Why argue about things that will never get anywhere? I like to focus on problems that I can actually solve.

I'd argue that theology has gotten absolutely nowhere since the ancient Greeks. We're no better off now than Aristotle. To me that's an indication we need to look at the problem from a different angle, no?

Arjen

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:51 am
@DrZoidberg phil,
I know that's what you ment, but your words were entirely opposite to that. I know I have a strange sense of humor, but it amused me.

Smile

I'll try to control myself in the future.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:32 pm
@DrZoidberg phil,
Welcome to the forums. Glad to see you picked the best character from Futurama for your user name.

I find myself using the invisible pink unicorn argument when arguing with someone that wants to be a logical theist. Faith and reason are mutually exclusive. If they would learn to quit trying to mix their irrational faith with their reasonable logic...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from Sweden
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 07:19:21