Philosophy Books for Beginners

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Emil

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:16 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;165153 wrote:
Gee, thanks Mr. Amy, I didn't know that.

:flowers:

Cites for you.

Philosophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sophie - Wiktionary

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 12:51 am
@Emil,

Sites for you.

joke - Wiktionary

sarcasm - Wiktionary

kennethamy

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 06:59 am
@Emil,

These seem to be cites that are also sites. What a paradox!

longknowledge

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:00 pm
@Emil,

I viewed your cites, er . . . sites. What great sights!

Lebro123

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 06:34 am
@Fernando phil,
thanks aloooot for all these informations

HexHammer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 07:43 am
@Fernando phil,
Fernando;95092 wrote:
Just started to hear about philosophy and wanted to get some books that aren't to harsh but that would get me an idea in what im getting into thanks a lot
Sun Tzu - Art of War, has some of the most relevant teachings to offer, most other have only navel gazing babble.

harlequin phil

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:15 am
@Fernando phil,
i have never taken a philosophy class (other than critical thinking) and i am as much a beginner now as i was 15 years ago when i started reading philosophy, so taking this into account...

as a complete amateur, i have enjoyed and i recommend modern philosophy by roger scruton and also consolations of philosophy by alain de botton. as someone who has no training in philosophy, both books helped me understand and enjoy philosophy and motivated me to learn more and read more about it.

jack phil

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 12:22 pm
@Fernando phil,
I have always found that autobiographies, or descriptive books aimed at making clear an authors point of view, make for quite awesome "philosophy" books. Einstein's The World as I see It, Wittgenstein's Culture and Value, etc. are truly fascinating because they do not go on to say anything metaphysical, but show how these men treated day to day life.

The World as I see It is wonderful, and so too is the hard to find autobiography of Einstein. "In the beginning, God created Newton's Laws"... oh, Einstein!

Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:21 pm
@jack phil,
Any book you read in philosophy, no matter how easy, is going to take a couple read throughs no matter what. You see, us philosophers like to do this thing that most people do not do, and thats read the same book 2-40 times. Usually, you have to read a book twice in philosophy to read it once, no matter the difficulty.

Oh yea, and Locke's Essay might be a good place to start. Probably not, but I am going to suggest it anyway. Have a good day! Very Happy

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.07 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:56:58