Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:00 am
Hi Everyone, I am a new member and looking forward to great discussions in Philosophy. I'm interested in topics such as how philosophy is written, analysing the style of philosophers as well as their ideas. I'm passionate about Literature and how it intersects with philosophy. Is anyone else interested in these topics?
Heratical

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:08 am
@Heratical,
Hi Heratical!

There is a thread in the lounge on how to write philosophy if you are interested in it. Otherwise, if you are examining the actual format that philosophers and philosophy uses, that would be an extremely interesting thread, discussing their different methods. Spinoza used axiomatic expressions and assertions, Descartes used first person perspective, etc.

Philosophy and literature seem to be inextricably connected. I read a whole bunch of fictional literature on black existentialism when I was in school and it was some very heavy hitting stuff. I'm more a fan of Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte (I guess you can tell I tend to favor fictional existentialist literature.)

Welcome! Enjoy the forum and collect some Plato points!

Heratical

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:38 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Wow! What is black existentialist fiction? Is this in the Camus mode? Does it tie in with Sartre's fantastic introduction to Franz Fanon's text? I also like de Beauvoir and Sartre's existentialist novels but I am very interested in the thread you mentioned with Spinoza and Descartes. Nietzsche and his aphorisms would also be an example. I have never read any Spinoza. Would you recommend him for this project?
I am reading Kristeva's "Murder in Byzantium" just now. I find it amazing that she writes fiction. You have really got me thinking now. Thanks!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:43 am
@Heratical,
Hey there, Heretic!

Glad to see you on the forums. I, too, enjoy literature. Early in my studies, I became preoccupied with philosophy and now feel that my focus on philosophy has done harm to my study of literature - something I am actively trying to correct.

We're glad to have you with us. I look forward to seeing you involved in our various discussions. This forum really is a unique refuge on the net - and I've visited nearly every significant philosophy forum on the web. By far my favorite. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

boagie

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Heratical,Smile

No, no, you are obviously in the wrong place, no one here has the remotest interest in such dribble-----------------just kidding!!! Certainly your interests are shared by a great many here, so welcome Heratical, settle in and make yourself comfortable. We are pleased to have you join us!!Smile

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 09:12 am
@boagie,
Franz Fanon is an interesting read, no doubt about that. But he is non-fiction. Books like Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eyehttp://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/new-member-forum/1671-hello-african-american-human-relations-question.html

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:34:14