What idea is this, or maybe who said it....

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » What idea is this, or maybe who said it....

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:08 pm
I think the guy said if you compare a grain of sand to a mountain they look the same. Basically commenting on the fact that things in their most simple or smallest form resemble larger/more complicated forms......

Can you help me with the person who was noted for this idea or maybe the school of thought??????

I was googling this when I found this forum. I think this place is great. Please help.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:29 pm
@starfighter,
It sounds like Confucius or some other Eastern thinker, but I don't know for sure.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:32 pm
@starfighter,
I think probably someone really, really high must have said this.
I think it must have been someone from "The Spicoli School of Thought."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQwnJTPh-M&feature=PlayList&p=0F3C8BFD2A8BFAC9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

Ichthus91

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:47 pm
@starfighter,
I think that quote more demonstrates perception rather than simple things resembling complex things. Not sure who said it, sorry.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:51 pm
@starfighter,
starfighter;115715 wrote:
I think the guy said if you compare a grain of sand to a mountain they look the same. Basically commenting on the fact that things in their most simple or smallest form resemble larger/more complicated forms......

Can you help me with the person who was noted for this idea or maybe the school of thought??????

I was googling this when I found this forum. I think this place is great. Please help.

I don't know who said it, but I am sure he must have been profound.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:54 pm
@Ichthus91,
Stoner remarks aside, I think what you may be looking for came from the first few lines of William Blake's "Auguries of Innocence."

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
"

starfighter

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:35 pm
@TickTockMan,
I know it wasn't poetic. It was when I was in college. My chemistry professor was remarking on it. If I knew how to get ahold of that guy I would ask him. I don't think it was eastern but it could of been. It was a man of science. I can't remember but I remember him saying So and so said that if you compare a grain of sand under a microscope to the rocky mountains it looks the same. Same with sugar. If you allow it to crystalize naturally it makes rough cubes. Smash those cubes into powder and look at them under a microscope, Cubes again. I am in the army and I have to talk to my Squadron commander about something. I was going to tell him how you can take the behavior of a small unit and it will be almost a litmus of the greater army. Same way if you compare a single soldier to his platoon. I wanted to quote the guy and I can't remember who it was at all.........It seems like it was one of me mainstream thinkers.....greek, roman, renaissance. Not someone obscure at all but I could be totally wrong.

As you can see in how I am going to use this analogy it doesn't just apply to the physical world. You can use it as a great metaphor for behavior and belief, etc.

Anyone?

Great answers though. I freaking love this site.

Deckard

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:37 pm
@starfighter,
I often hear a similar statement using the shoreline as an example. The variegated line of the shore is similar whether far above or zoomed in very close. Often this example is used with reference to fractals.

starfighter

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:16 pm
@Deckard,
fractals! yeah now we're getting somewhere. Any idea whose noted for first noticing, talking about this?

Deckard

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:53 pm
@starfighter,
The shoreline/fractal thing goes back to Benoit Mandelbrot. It's likely he said something similar about mountains and grains of sand. I'm thinking Mandelbrot might be the name you are looking for.

starfighter

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:05 am
@Deckard,
Thank you so much Deckard. I wasn't exactly looking for a quote just the guy that come up with the Idea. When I googled him I got quotes exactly "like" what I was saying. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

jeeprs

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:22 am
@starfighter,
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.

Opening lines of William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Also, the Dalai Lama wrote a book called the Universe in a Single Atom which was about the Buddhist philosophy of Science.

Fido

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:04 am
@starfighter,
starfighter;115715 wrote:

I am the guy who said that a grain of sand in ones shoe can feel like a mountain if you step on it enough times..

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » What idea is this, or maybe who said it....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:07:13