Hello from Thailand

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from Thailand

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 06:54 pm
Hello everyone, my name is Chris (really) I'm a professor of philosophy and religion (Eastern on both counts thus one department not two) at Chiang Mai University in Thailand. I'm an American by birth but I have spent most of my adult life in Asia mostly because it is the only place I feel safe and at home and it fits my personal beliefs and philosophies. I really hate talking about and writing about myself so if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'm a very opened person and I don't consider anything too personal.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:47 pm
@Chris phil,
Greetings chris!

I just escaped the clutches of the philosophy department a little under a year ago. I always thought they would send someone after me, but I never knew who... un...til now. LOL!

Its interesting, theres was another guy who just joined a day or so ago who just graduated with a degree in philosophy. We have the makings of a class... pro bono of course.

Welcome! Hope to see you around and enjoy the forum!

Chris phil

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:15 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Oddly enough I'm from Philadelphia!!! I'd say small world but I've been around it and I assure you it is not small and it's quite complected.

I have been teaching in Thailand for pushing 5 years now and before that I taught in Allentown PA at Lehigh Valley Hospital for the department of pastoral care in the chaplain intern program for 5 years and I moonlighted at LCCC. So, cool I look forward to conversation with you.

boagie

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 12:48 am
@Chris phil,
Chris,

Welcome Chris to the forum, you sound like a delightful addition to our numbers here. Make yourself at home, think about responding to a thread or starting a topic that you wish to explore. Glad to have you with us and see you on the boards. boagie

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 01:00 am
@boagie,
On top of the recent graduates, because of my former job I ended up loading myself with applied philosophy courses that did a lot of good at my original school of choice. At the school I ended up at they really do not help me at all. I have done more course work than most undergrad philosophy students but one of my good friends was my professor for many of my classes enhancing what could normally be extracted out of a typical class.

Then again I did not gain typical academic philosophy instruction. In all practicality, why bother? We need lovers of wisdom not egoists looking for rushes by winning arguments about nothing anyone ever cared about.

Anyway after the diversion welcome and enjoy the forums.

Chris phil

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:28 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus I can't say that I disagree with you. The philosophy classes I took in the USA were quite dry and dull to say the least and most of the subject matter involved was on the topics of "who really cares". Eastern philosophy on the other hand and what I teach in general is more of a guide for life and living. I tell most of my classes something to the effect of I don't care if you know the history, names of the philosophers or the particular philosophy word by word I just want you to find something in the philosophy that you can use in your life to make it better.

Justin

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:31 am
@Chris phil,
Chris, welcome to the forum. Interesting life you lead and happy that you can be here and participate in the discussions. There's a lot of good stuff in Eastern Philosophy and I look forward to the experience and contributions you can make in this forum in Eastern Philosophy.

Make yourself at home and enjoy the community!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from Thailand
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 06:46:57