Need a bit of help with Locke & soul

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 05:05 pm
@tracyfan 1,
tracyfan_1;107919 wrote:
this is diffucult for me to formulate. i tried to say the behavior of people but that seems like it is exactly like the psychological characteristics of a person, unless i can somehow distinguish them.


But if you are a behaviorist, then the psychological characteristic are their behavior. What do you want to say about behavior?
 
tracyfan 1
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 05:14 pm
@tracyfan 1,
how you could still recognize a person by their behavior, which says they must be the same person because of that. i feel like it is the same as psychological characteristics.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:41 pm
@tracyfan 1,
tracyfan_1;107923 wrote:
how you could still recognize a person by their behavior, which says they must be the same person because of that. i feel like it is the same as psychological characteristics.


If a person is dead, and he has no body, he has no behavior. Are you still talking about how the same person who is alive would be able to survive his own death. If the person is identified by behavior, then he won't be the same person when dead.
 
tracyfan 1
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:14 pm
@tracyfan 1,
well the problem that i am having is trying to come up with some sort of proposal that can somehow bring the possibility of life after death... i
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:21 pm
@tracyfan 1,
tracyfan_1;107974 wrote:
well the problem that i am having is trying to come up with some sort of proposal that can somehow bring the possibility of life after death... i


It's hard. One proposal (analogy) I have seen has been to think of you as the software, and the body as the hardware. The software can exist without the hardware, but needs the body to manifest itself. I really do not know what to make of this, even if it were true, which seems fairly improbable. Is that really the assignment? To show that survival is possible?
 
tracyfan 1
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:29 pm
@kennethamy,
yes that is the assignment, but it all has to do with psychological continuity. i am having trouble coming up with a proposal, and if i were to use that one, i would have to prove how its the same person. how do i know the software hasnt changed? this is a very difficult task..

somehow the same person has to be played through all this time.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:45 pm
@tracyfan 1,
tracyfan_1;107977 wrote:
yes that is the assignment, but it all has to do with psychological continuity. i am having trouble coming up with a proposal, and if i were to use that one, i would have to prove how its the same person. how do i know the software hasnt changed? this is a very difficult task..

somehow the same person has to be played through all this time.



Why suppose the software has changed? You can just put in, "supposing it is the same software", if you like. That won't make a difference to your point that if we consider that the person is the software, it is possible for the software to survive the destruction of the hardware. Then, the same person can "inhabit" different bodies, or even not inhabit a body at all.
 
tracyfan 1
 
Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:27 pm
@kennethamy,
Ell if you suppose the software doesn't change then that shows that it's the same software, so there would be no point in arguing. If I say :

suppose the soul doesn't change. Person a and person b are the same person because they have the same soul because the soul never changes. That's just supposing something, and by supposing it doesn't allow any atype of objection.I can suppose god exists but someone can't tell me he doesn't because I'm granting that.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:09 am
@tracyfan 1,
tracyfan_1;107989 wrote:
Ell if you suppose the software doesn't change then that shows that it's the same software, so there would be no point in arguing. If I say :

suppose the soul doesn't change. Person a and person b are the same person because they have the same soul because the soul never changes. That's just supposing something, and by supposing it doesn't allow any atype of objection.I can suppose god exists but someone can't tell me he doesn't because I'm granting that.


Except we know what software is. And we can identify it.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/24/2024 at 10:41:43