Hiya

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:29 pm
Hiya, I'm 15 and life is incredibly confusing.

I have a theory, have just come up with the theory (although I'll probably have changed my mind in the morning) that we, as human beings, have exceeded the purpose of our design.

I'll explain.

We were designed to live and to reproduce, to follow and to believe, in these basic religious principles and morals, these values, probably as a form of control, to keep us reproducing and to stop murder, etc. To make nature keep on ticking by.

But now, we've gone too far, we can now question our very existance. Why? This isn't a necessity, we needn't. I think we were designed to follow and accept and we've now got to the point where we question everything we've ever been taught.

We are simple creatures, but we've gone one too far and I think this'll show. Something big will happen to the human race.

We were supposed to be incredibly simple in that, we're clearly meant to reproduce, well ... sex is pleasurable, so that we do so. We're simple, that's why it's pleasurable, so that we do it and that we reproduce. So that nature ticks on by.

But in learning to question our whole existance and origins, we've exceeded the purpose of our design.

If anyone can relate to that, then that's nice to know!

The reason I've joined this forum is to share that theory and discuss many others anyway.

Cheers,

Andy.

boagie

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:49 pm
@andyhudd,
Andy,Smile

Welcome we are please you have chosen to join us. This is an introductory thread so probably not to many people will respond to your theory. Settle in and get use to the place, respond to a thread that sparks your interest or start a thread on the topic of your choice. Again welcome Andy!! boagie

mashiaj

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:53 pm
@andyhudd,
well glad to see you in the forum.

but how do you think that we are not made to question our existence?
are we machines? yes sex is pleasurable:) but if you look at the Darwin's theory, the pleasure is an adaptation through natural selection and sex too,
in the other hand if you believe in god and the bible, god made us to full the earth and to rule the animals.

Fido

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 08:41 pm
@mashiaj,
To follow and believe? I doubt that. WE are social. We have little choice but to believe given that it is asked of us even at a young age; but in old age we rather like to believe, for example, that there is a benevelent God ready to forgive the good and punish the shetheads. Considering what we know, what humanity knows, or what any individual is capable of knowing; we have no choice but to believe. We are not made for belief, except that imagination tends to throw up a lot of theories even when we don't have much fact. We would not have science, or philosophy as we know it if people were truly comfortable with, that is; made for belief.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 09:23 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
Hiya, I'm 15 and life is incredibly confusing.

And will be for some time. But reading will work wonders. And forums like this are a great place to converse. Glad to have you with us.

And can you imagine using more conjunctions to begin sentences? One of my bad habits.

Justin

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:07 pm
@andyhudd,
Andy, welcome to the forum. We've all been 15 and all confused. We are raised and trained in way that's meant to separate us from truth, knowledge and understanding... and each other, in many ways.

Your theory is a theory based on your own autonomous experience which molds how you perceive life, thus forming a theory. Each of us have these and each of us experience life in unique ways which influence our perception or philosophy of life. The neat thing is that we grow and evolve during the course of our lives and our perception changes, so does our philosophy and theories... each being as unique as a fingerprint or DNA and unto our own.

I think it's a wonderful thing that you have that desire to be in a forum that discusses these types of topics at such a young age. The majority don't even care and while they may often ponder, they get too busy with everyday life.

Anyway, good to see you here and life will become less confusing to you as you grow and truth will be discovered limited only by the intensity of desire. See you in the forums! Smile

andyhudd

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 05:32 am
@Justin,
Thanks for all your greetings, everyone.

I don't believe my theory as strongly as I did in the early morning last night (yes a contradiction, but you know what I mean), there's something about nighttime that makes us more creative and able to believe and understand. Maybe this is why many people pray at night, or maybe I'm looking too far into this!

My key belief in terms of philosophy and religion, is that we are no accident. Not for one second do I believe the human race were created coincidentally, by an explosion. Impossible for me, with all the intricacies, details and complications of the human body and mind. Not to mention the other elements of the Universe.

Therefore, there must be a creator or creators, there must be a being or a force, but who? (I'm being rhetorical here!)

Perhaps the Earth is a prison, perhaps our time here is a test, but surely there must be more to life than making yourself and those around you happy?

None of us will ever understand it, but it's certainly interesting to ponder.

Cheers,

Andy.

boagie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:27 am
@andyhudd,
Welcome aboard Andy!!Smile

andyhudd

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:36 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Welcome aboard Andy!!Smile

Thanks! :bigsmile:

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:40 am
@andyhudd,
We are no accident?

Shu! We didn't start all complex and complicated, And as long as atoms can move because their electron cloud moves, there is no reason molecules, and then life could not grow around the same source of power. Nor should we minimize the effect of humanity on human progress. Does it not seem obvious to you why we have no near relatives among primates? We moved from monkey killers to cannibals in the blink of an eye, and we have preyed upon each other since. So; It needs no explanation to be observed as a fact; A complicated life does not prove a mindful creator. The first cause is the first falacy, because we can no more measure infinite past than we can measure infinites now or in the future; and if existence is an infinite, then a creator would have to be existence, or be greater still. The point being that philosophy has come to study, almost exclusively, what are moral realities, and not physical realities, which science per se studies. And philosophy long ago broke from theology because it could not measure all of religions intangibles. Moral realities cannot be measured either, with any exactness. But if we notice a certain correlation, such as people unable to live without love, or without justice; then we know some small thing about humanity and the moral realities we live in. Does that make sense to you, or shall I try again?

andyhudd

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:58 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
We are no accident?

Shu! We didn't start all complex and complicated, And as long as atoms can move because their electron cloud moves, there is no reason molecules, and then life could not grow around the same source of power. Nor should we minimize the effect of humanity on human progress. Does it not seem obvious to you why we have no near relatives among primates? We moved from monkey killers to cannibals in the blink of an eye, and we have preyed upon each other since. So; It needs no explanation to be observed as a fact; A complicated life does not prove a mindful creator. The first cause is the first falacy, because we can no more measure infinite past than we can measure infinites now or in the future; and if existence is an infinite, then a creator would have to be existence, or be greater still. The point being that philosophy has come to study, almost exclusively, what are moral realities, and not physical realities, which science per se studies. And philosophy long ago broke from theology because it could not measure all of religions intangibles. Moral realities cannot be measured either, with any exactness. But if we notice a certain correlation, such as people unable to live without love, or without justice; then we know some small thing about humanity and the moral realities we live in. Does that make sense to you, or shall I try again?

Science just doesn't convince me, I think there's more to life than that. The details and intricacies of the human body and nature in general are just astonishing. The fact that the planet Earth is in the PERFECT position to allow life ... I don't see this as a coincidence. I don't think that an explosion could have started it all, that theory doesn't remotely satisfy me.

I think there's more to it. I think there's a soul. I can feel it. The subconcious does a lot to convince me that there's more to life - we can be somewhere ... but not really be there. There are way too many coincidences surrounding our existance to make it just that - a coincidence, for me.

I agree that infinite regress is impossible (Aquinas), but I feel that if anything is exempt to this rule, it's that supernatural force, that creator - that God.

I'm not half as convinced of my initial theory as I was last night, it was one of those things, but I stand firmly by my point that there's more to life than science suggests.

"Does that make sense to you, or shall I try again"

If that's an attempt to patronise me, having spotted that I'm 15, leave it out ... let the words and not the ages do the talking. If not, then ... sorry for the misunderstanding!

Fido

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:31 am
@andyhudd,
andyhudd wrote:
Science just doesn't convince me, I think there's more to life than that. The details and intricacies of the human body and nature in general are just astonishing. The fact that the planet Earth is in the PERFECT position to allow life ... I don't see this as a coincidence. I don't think that an explosion could have started it all, that theory doesn't remotely satisfy me.

I think there's more to it. I think there's a soul. I can feel it. The subconcious does a lot to convince me that there's more to life - we can be somewhere ... but not really be there. There are way too many coincidences surrounding our existance to make it just that - a coincidence, for me.

I agree that infinite regress is impossible (Aquinas), but I feel that if anything is exempt to this rule, it's that supernatural force, that creator - that God.

I'm not half as convinced of my initial theory as I was last night, it was one of those things, but I stand firmly by my point that there's more to life than science suggests.

"Does that make sense to you, or shall I try again"

If that's an attempt to patronise me, having spotted that I'm 15, leave it out ... let the words and not the ages do the talking. If not, then ... sorry for the misunderstanding!

If you can't be convinced by science then you need the Theology section, and as fortune would have it; I'm sitting on it right now to reach the keyboard. It's your lucky day! Just ask me to move, because I think most folks like it if I act passed out. But, I am not really passed out. Do you know what I mean? Tha angts.

Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:09 am
@andyhudd,
andyhudd wrote:
The fact that the planet Earth is in the PERFECT position to allow life ...
Not for dinosaurs...

Quote:
I don't see this as a coincidence.
Neither do scientists. Just because something happens naturally doesn't make it coincidental.

Quote:
I think there's more to it. I think there's a soul. I can feel it.
How can you tell the difference between a soul (as a real 'thing') versus the soul as an abstraction we've created to encapsulate a certain special aspect of ourselves?

Quote:
The subconcious does a lot to convince me that there's more to life - we can be somewhere ... but not really be there.
The subconscious should teach you how irrational we are deep down, and how close to animals we really are. Why? Because it's out of our control and it constantly conflicts with our rational selves.

andyhudd

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:39 am
@Aedes,
It's in the perfect position to allow human life, it was in the right position to allow the life of dinosaurs, sounds as though it was hit by a comet, or something like that.

An explosion causing the development of life of this complexity and detail, for me must mean that there's a supernatural force behind it, something indescribable.

Good point on the soul thing, but I think there is a soul. I don't know what it is ... just ... it just feels like there's more to life than the here and now. That the body imprisons something else ... that'll one day escape.

No, I think the subconcious really means something, shows the complexity of our minds, that we can picture things in such vivid detail ... as though we're actually there.

Aedes

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:19 am
@andyhudd,
andyhudd wrote:
It's in the perfect position to allow human life
It's sufficient to allow human life, but how can we say it's perfect?

Quote:
An explosion causing the development of life of this complexity and detail, for me must mean that there's a supernatural force behind it, something indescribable.
The meaning of 15 billion years, the meaning of the amount of energy and matter that was generated, is far beyond our routine comprehension. That speaks more about our cognitive limits than it does about the science!

Quote:
Good point on the soul thing, but I think there is a soul. I don't know what it is ... just ... it just feels like there's more to life than the here and now. That the body imprisons something else ... that'll one day escape.
That's the fun thing about life-- we get to be things, yet see ourselves as more than mere things at the same time. It's a constant conflict, and in the end this discrepancy is responsible for all philosophy and religion.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 01:02:19