Readings for Philosophy of Action?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » Readings for Philosophy of Action?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:25 am
I'm considering focussing my senior paper next spring on a topic/problem in philosophy of action. I'm not really familiar with this area and its literature at all, aside from a few philosophy of mind readings I've had. Any suggestions?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:38 am
@Phronimos,
What do you mean "Philosophy of action" -- Causality, human psychology 'action', etc.?

Phronimos

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 01:57 am
@Phronimos,
Issues that arise with the study of action. What things cause actions (i.e. mental events, physical events, beliefs/desires, etc.)? The relationship between trying and acting. Intention & intentionality seems very related as well. At first glance, the causality question strikes me as the most interesting, but I don't want to put myself into a box before actually engaging with relevant readings.

Parapraxis

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 02:30 am
@Phronimos,
Free Will: A Very Short Introduction by Tom Pink.

Aedes

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:20 am
@Phronimos,
Phronimos;53634 wrote:
The relationship between trying and acting. Intention & intentionality seems very related as well.
Look at some of this guy's references regarding intention.

The Experimental Philosophy Page

meditationyoga

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:39 pm
@Phronimos,
Freidrich Nietzsche wrote about this a great deal. "Will" being greater than knowledge. As well schophenhaur. Read "Beyond Good and Evil."

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Or "Thus Spake Zarathustra." This was "Nietzsche's" Superman.

Action brings alot of problem with it though. If someone is confused they will bring a great deal of chaos and disturbance with their action.

This is a great topic though. You can reach all the way back to Plato and Aristotle.

jgweed

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:58 am
@Phronimos,
Some of the existentialists, particularly Sartre and Camus, extend their philosophical analysis into human action; Heidegger makes intentionality an important key to his early thinking, and Schultz and other "life philosophers" argue that a large part of reality is socially constructed.
All of these situational philosophies dwell on human action and generally avoid the problems raised by Cartesian dualism in its various disguises.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » Readings for Philosophy of Action?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:32:18