Philosophy Graduate says wassup

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Aedes

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:37 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Your life is a dream life in my opinion. You get to help people, went to Harvard!, and travel the world. Though I don't think I'd enjoy working in a clinic.
Getting these experiences in before having a family was the key. As much as I love global health, I have a 3 1/2 month old now and I can't bear to be away from him for a several-week-trip (let alone make my wife do all the work). But again, I realized very early on (in high school, actually, when I studied abroad in Spain) that one has very limited opportunities in life to travel the world. And so I've molded my education and career around this.

The one thing I'll say about Harvard is that my formal higher education (counting from college onwards) was 15 years long, of which I spent 3 years at Harvard Med and Children's Hospital as a fellow in Infectious Diseases. I did not spend my entire education there -- and I'm glad. It's a phenomenal place, and it was an unforgettable experience. I knew many people there, however, who had never trained anywhere else. And I actually felt bad for them -- because no institution is perfect, and nothing helps you grow as much as transitions.

Clinical work isn't for everyone. But it's a small world, and you don't need to look far to see a way that ANY field can bring you overseas!

Quote:
But still, if you can find a trip to Seattle, lol, I advise the time on hiking up half the mountain.
I'd love to do a guided climb to the top.

Quote:
Also, I`ve wanted to go to Banff in Canada.
Been there -- don't miss it, it's spectacular. When I was 17 my family and I took the VIA Rail from Toronto to Jasper, then spent ~ 2 weeks in Jasper, Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay, then went down to Glacier National Park in Montana (also incredible).

Quote:
For my one and only vacation, went to Mt. Tremblent, in Quebec.
Sounds amazing.

Quote:
Amazon sounds cool. And isn`t Russia in Asia.
There's nothing in the world like the Amazon. Russia is in both Europe and Asia -- the European part is west of the Ural mountains and north of the Caucasus mountains. I was in Moscow and Saint Petersburg, which are in Europe.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 11:54 pm
@Aedes,

Aedes

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 03:48 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
And you`re young!!!!!!!!!!! Lol. I hope you don`t take offense but I thought of you as this mid aged prof type of guy. Sorry.
No prob Smile I'm 33.

Quote:
Heh, as many places as I've been there are many more I'd like to see.

Quote:
When your "3 and a half" grows up a little, well, I went hiking 2000 feet of Mt. Rainier when I was in grade two, perhaps even grade one. I was probably a nuisance then, but I still managed and remembered enjoying the mountains, as seemingly unorthodox it be.
Sounds great. We've got a ways to go -- he's 3 1/2 months!

Quote:
When you were at harvard were there any famous profs there? Any famous "philosophy graduates" there to pertain to the thread's subject?
I didn't interact with the philosophy department there. My primary academic appointment was at the medical school, primary clinical appointment at Children's Hospital Boston, and my research appointment was at the school of public health. All of these are in Boston, whereas most of the university is across the river in Cambridge. I of course trained under MANY very famous people, but in my field.

Chris phil

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:52 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
How hard is it to get a job with a B.A. in philosophy?

Seriously, I'm considering it.

I have A Ph.D. in philosophy and a D.D. (in Buddhism) and years of experience and had to move to Thailand (not that I'm complaining I'm quite content) my best friend that graduated with me works at the University of Vera Cruz in Mexico... so, that's my experience.

PursuitOfReality

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:18 pm
@Chris phil,
Congrats on the getting your B.A . Sweet that you have a Ph.D. in philosophy Chris.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:37:10