Best philosophy dictionary?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » Best philosophy dictionary?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:19 pm
What would be the best philosophy dictionary for a novice? I've had no exposure to philosophy in school, high school or college, and I'm venturing into it after studying mostly history and theology.

Strolling through a bookstore, I saw one by Penguin press, but upon searching through abebooks, there's a whole bunch of them (Peter Angeles' and Antony Flew's for example).

Catchabula

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:35 pm
@Labyrinth,

RDanneskjld

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:36 pm
@Labyrinth,
You cant go far wrong with the Oxford Dictonary of Philosophy, if your able to pick up a copy of it. Though if your new to Philosophy a dictionary may be not the best way to introduce yourself to the subject, but there are certainly very useful if you need to clarify some of the terms you come across when reading Philosophy.

Labyrinth

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld wrote:
You cant go far wrong with the Oxford Dictonary of Philosophy, if your able to pick up a copy of it. Though if your new to Philosophy a dictionary may be not the best way to introduce yourself to the subject, but there are certainly very useful if you need to clarify some of the terms you come across when reading Philosophy.

Yes, I'm looking for a dictionary to have handy while reading philosophy works. I certainly wouldn't try to pick up a philosophy dictionary and read it cover to cover (is that what you mean?). Thanks for the recommendation!

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 03:09 pm
@Labyrinth,
I highly recommend the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy since it is online and free. As a philosophy student it has become an excellent tool for my studies.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

kennethamy

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 05:38 pm
@Labyrinth,
Labyrinth wrote:
What would be the best philosophy dictionary for a novice? I've had no exposure to philosophy in school, high school or college, and I'm venturing into it after studying mostly history and theology.

Strolling through a bookstore, I saw one by Penguin press, but upon searching through abebooks, there's a whole bunch of them (Peter Angeles' and Antony Flew's for example).

Flew, who is a very good philosopher.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:19 pm
@kennethamy,
Theaetetus' suggestion was the same source I was going to recommend. The Stanford Encyclopedia has wonderful articles by well-known and well-respected philosophers.

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 06:41 pm
@Labyrinth,
Stanford is number one free and online.

After that I'd recommend Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. If you're a patron, some public and academic libraries have access to the online edition, but if not, the public library might have the print version in shelf.

RDanneskjld

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 05:57 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
Stanford is number one free and online.

After that I'd recommend Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. If you're a patron, some public and academic libraries have access to the online edition, but if not, the public library might have the print version in shelf.

I have a copy of the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy and would have to agree that it is a rather good resource and covers any topic you could wish to know about. It is a rather epic encyclopedia though so be warned in that regard. The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy is certainly good if you just want to look up a particular term while reading a work of Philosophy. I also agree Stanford encyclopedia is a good resource, but you might not wish to have to go online, everytime you wish to know something.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 08:20 am
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld wrote:
I have a copy of the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy and would have to agree that it is a rather good resource and covers any topic you could wish to know about. It is a rather epic encyclopedia though so be warned in that regard. The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy is certainly good if you just want to look up a particular term while reading a work of Philosophy. I also agree Stanford encyclopedia is a good resource, but you might not wish to have to go online, everytime you wish to know something.

Encyclopedias and Dictionaries are different.

Parapraxis

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 02:24 pm
@kennethamy,
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is very good, maintained by philosophers and free.

The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy is to SEP what Lycos is to Google, but still worth a look

Simon Blackburn's Oxford Dictionary of Psychology is good; but really if it's for academic work, the free ones listed above will be just as good, and even more up-to-date.

Labyrinth

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 11:48 am
@Parapraxis,
Well, thanks everyone for the input. Looks like I have a couple additions to make to my reference section.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » Best philosophy dictionary?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:47:58