Can/Should I post past papers in this section?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » Can/Should I post past papers in this section?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:13 pm
I have some older philosophy of mind papers that I'm thinking of posting for the sake of discussion and to help me refresh and refine my thoughts on various areas. Should I post them here or in the philosophy of mind section? I'm not sure if this section is mainly for specific questions about papers, or if posting whole essays and asking for substantive feedback counts as 'copyreading', which is discouraged in the sticky.

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:23 pm
@Phronimos,
This question reminds me of an old inquiry about whether we can do such a thing:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/forum-administration-area/site-feedback-suggestions/1963-philosophy-paper-section.html

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:40 pm
@Victor Eremita,
My advice is to post the paper(s) in the Creative Writing section.

Personally, I think philosophy essays like the ones you have would be well placed here, but the specific guidelines for this forum and the Creative Writing forum read to me as if, under the current system, such papers should be in Creative Writing.

So, post them in CW for the moment. I'll talk to Justin about this and we may end up moving them here and making some minor revisions of guidelines.

Good question: thanks for asking.

Phronimos

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:48 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Wow, I was thinking along quite similar lines, partly the reason why I opted to ask first. I'm glad you posted the links; it helped me organize my thoughts and added some different aspects I didn't immediately consider.

Having an area for people of a certain caliber does seem like the best compromise to me, even if it is somewhat elitist. And I agree that it should be based on merit, as opposed to post count. As I think, a certain type of member does seem less likely to plagiarize another person's work, perhaps largely because . Also, I think such a system still rewards the people who originally penned the papers, as it does not necessarily deprive them from the sorts of readers, thoughts, comments, and criticisms that they were likely seeking anyway by posting.

Now whether or not I qualify for this sort of area isn't really for me to say. I know the logistics would be tricky, but I'd strongly be in favor of some sort of system on the forums to figure this out (maybe a panel?). What do the rest of ya'll think about this?

Phronimos

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:52 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;54306 wrote:
My advice is to post the paper(s) in the Creative Writing section.

Personally, I think philosophy essays like the ones you have would be well placed here, but the specific guidelines for this forum and the Creative Writing forum read to me as if, under the current system, such papers should be in Creative Writing.

So, post them in CW for the moment. I'll talk to Justin about this and we may end up moving them here and making some minor revisions of guidelines.

Good question: thanks for asking.

I think I'll hold off for a couple weeks to see if any alternative avenues or new clarifications develop first. If not, then I'll probably post in the creative writing section. Thanks for your help Didymos.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:32 am
@Phronimos,
Maybe what we could think about doing is creating a sub forum in philosophy 101 that would be devoted to people posting papers and having critical discussions or what not about those papers. The guidelines for 101 still apply, which is that it is an academic area, so off topic shenanigans would still not be permitted.

I have always been a fan of posting old philosophy papers for a while for a while. I have a ton of them and I have been wanting to post them for a while as well. One other thing that could be done is to create a social group and once a member, you would then be able to post your papers and read others.

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 05:27 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
Maybe what we could think about doing is creating a sub forum in philosophy 101 that would be devoted to people posting papers and having critical discussions or what not about those papers. The guidelines for 101 still apply, which is that it is an academic area, so off topic shenanigans would still not be permitted.

I have always been a fan of posting old philosophy papers for a while for a while. I have a ton of them and I have been wanting to post them for a while as well. One other thing that could be done is to create a social group and once a member, you would then be able to post your papers and read others.

That's right Vid! The Forums didn't have Social Groups back in August 08. And personally, I don't think Philosophy Papers belong in Creative Writing: not all Philosophy papers are creative writing and not all creative writing is philosophy.

So I've taken the liberty of creating the Philosophy Papers Social Group: http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/groups/19-philosophy-papers.html

Justin

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 09:02 pm
@Phronimos,
Give me two weeks and we'll have something set up for that. Until then, keep philosophizing about it. Trying to get things caught up here. Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » Can/Should I post past papers in this section?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 01:12:28