What does "counterfactual" mean here please?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » What does "counterfactual" mean here please?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Oh phil

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 12:57 pm
Specifically, the autoepistemic closure consists in human beings in ordinary waking states not being able to realize the simple fact that the content of their subjective experiences inevitably has strong, self-constructed aspects, because it is representational content, and that it always is simulational, counterfactual content.

hammersklavier

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:49 pm
@Oh phil,
It seems to me that counterfactual means "against the facts" (well, no duh), and the author is saying that what we think we know ourselves (autoepistemesis?) is in fact an illusion, that Truth is really something else entirely.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:53 pm
@hammersklavier,
hammersklavier wrote:
It seems to me that counterfactual means "against the facts" (well, no duh), and the author is saying that what we think we know ourselves (autoepistemesis?) is in fact an illusion, that Truth is really something else entirely.

A counter-factual conditional is a conditional statement whose antecedent is false. For example: If you had gone to the party, then you would have met Mary. The antecedent of that conditional statement, "You went to the party" is false. But the whole statement is true.

Aedes

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:19 pm
@Oh phil,
I thought counterfactual statements in historical discussions are a presentation of alternative outcomes. It's similar to your conditional, but it's applied to a historical scenario.

Oh phil

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:53 am
@Oh phil,
Those are ways in which I have seen "counterfactual" used, but I am still struggling to fit those concepts into the original sentence I quoted. Can anyone rephrase it in a way that makes it clear what Metzinger was on about?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 08:38 am
@Oh phil,
Oh! wrote:
Those are ways in which I have seen "counterfactual" used, but I am still struggling to fit those concepts into the original sentence I quoted. Can anyone rephrase it in a way that makes it clear what Metzinger was on about?

No idea. It does not seem to be English, at least prima facie.

I imagine that by "counter-factual" he means, "contrary to the facts" or, in plain English, "false". But I really don't know.

Oh phil

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 08:50 am
@Oh phil,
Thanks Kenneth. Metzinger is German, but most of what I have read seems comprehensible. I've just discovered there are published commentaries on his book as well as a precis of the book here: P S Y C H E: Symposia - Metzinger

kennethamy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:58 am
@Oh phil,
Oh! wrote:
Thanks Kenneth. Metzinger is German, but most of what I have read seems comprehensible. I've just discovered there are published commentaries on his book as well as a precis of the book here: P S Y C H E: Symposia - Metzinger

He seems to speak a variation of scispeak.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » What does "counterfactual" mean here please?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 09:37:00