quick question:

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

NeOH

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:15 am
@AXE,
...and check it out-All Zeno ended up doing as his philosophy most certainly travelled through time all the way from him to me here tonite is to bring up (not point out) that there are an infinite number of percieved points in any given trajectory which means to us here on this board; that yes, a person can infact travel all the way through an infinity, in this case, from one wall to the other.

ACB

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 02:18 pm
@NeOH,
Quote:
There is not an archer at every percieved point so it is not a starting point and the arrow never ended there. An arrow is givven a certain amount of energy, that energy comes from specific intentions to get it across the 50ft trajectory, it is neither used up, nor is it refilled along the way, because the arrow only has 1 starting point where it recieved the energy to go the 50ft.

Please see my previous post. Zeno's paradox does not require the arrow to actually stop and restart; it is more a case of 'freezing the action' at various points, as in a film.

Quote:
Yet the alkaloid content is less than the original 1lb, because 2.2 is less then 3.

I'm afraid I don't see the paradox here. You have more alkaloid by weight, but less by percentage. That is because the increase in the weight of alkaloid is exceeded by the increase in the weight of non-alkaloid. You have more alkaloid molecules than you did before, but they are distributed over a larger total volume. (It is weight/mass, not percentage, that determines the 'amount' of a substance.)

NeOH

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 04:10 pm
@AXE,
I know what you and Zeno are saying, I did last night too but wasn't thinking about that specificly.

The problem I have with Zeno's paradox is that his logic and illustrations are misleading to the point of being wrong.

You will never get to the otherside because according to the fractioning of the distance, time is also fractioned at the same rate and the time needed to cross never comes to completion,(in a vacuum).

I think what actually happens is that those units are a mental construct; perceived. I also think time is relative to the observer. So long as the person crossing the room intends on it he never does according to the shrinking units of measurement, yet when he percieves that he does, he actually does, and the parallel dimension where he doesn't ever cross ceases to exist at the moment that he percieves a reality where he does,(and he does).

edit- in other words, because he is racing against time and space, it require more energy then the time and space require at any one of the points, so at the point where he percieves that he touches the wall, the extra energy given by that perception allows him to break that percieved time/space barrier and he actually touches the other side and at the same moment he ceases to intend on reaching it which weakens the barrier and the never ending trajectory dependant on the intention ceases to exist.

By that way, a person could percieve that he or she had reached the end of the room at the half way point, at which point they would disappear and reappear at the otherside.

Is that a paradox?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@NeOH,
NeOH wrote:
You dont, like you said, use logic to understand what he was saying; such as on the subject of infinity, you use logic only to express it. What it express's challenges logic.

Do you even understand the concept of logic??? LOL! Where was this even quoted from??? Are you conjuring suppositions for me now? Oh man, if I could show this thread to my classmates in propositional logic when I was a freshmen, they would get a kick out of this.
NeOH wrote:
And per your last statement- I did not pass higher than 9th grade quite plainly because it was not complicated enough for it to make sense to me.

This is something I'm not going to joke about. Education is a primary facet in a person's growth that brings out the potential a person is able to achieve in their life. You have my sincere condolences on this note. Everyone should have access to the same education and level of achievement, and you are no exception.
NeOH wrote:
And did you even understand what I said about coffee. I had one bag at 3% alkaloids + one bag at 1.5%- that makes it about 2.2%alkaloid when added together yet there is the same ammout of coffee. so if each bag is 1lb then I have 2 lbs of coffee which is more,( understand, 2 is more then 1). Yet the alkaloid content is less then the originnal 1lb, because 2.2 is less then 3.
jgweed wrote:
This forum, requested by several Members, is reserved for students asking for specific help in reading and writing philosophy, and not for the expression of opinions or Member discussions of a more general nature; the latter are best placed in the other forums.

ACB

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:53 pm
@NeOH,
Quote:
I think what actually happens is that those units are a mental construct.

Yes, and we cannot mentally construct an infinite number of units, since we only have a finite amount of thinking time. So the number of units will always be finite, thus the person will be able to pass through them all in a finite time. Problem solved!

But I don't think perception comes into it. We cannot make something occur by perceiving it. If a perception is true, the occurrence causes the perception, not the other way round. And if a perception is false, we cannot miraculously make the event come true. Perceptions do not cause events.
Quote:
By that way, a person could percieve that he or she had reached the end of the room at the half way point, at which point they would disappear and reappear at the otherside.

Sorry, you've completely baffled me there! :confused:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:54:48