your first reading in german philosophy

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » your first reading in german philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 10:08 pm
I have taken four courses in german to prepare for my masters but have had a little trouble reading native german philosophy.
If you have had read german philosophy in german, do you remember the first book or article on philosophy that you read and were able to grasp?
A recommendation of authors, books and maybe a little quote that really stood with you would be most interesting for all of us I hope.

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:18 am
@mysterystar,

Catchabula

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:20 am
@mysterystar,

Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:24 am
@mysterystar,
Ah Goethe!! I forgot about him, but if you count him as philosopher, some of his poems are pretty neat in German:

Catchabula

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 05:18 am
@Victor Eremita,
Not count Goethe as a philosopher?? :shocked: . Hey, quite a few german writers are more than "just literary" no? Take Heine for instance. Ah, so much to discover there. Guess we could go on forever... :bigsmile:

jgweed

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 09:22 am
@mysterystar,
Another approach suggests beginning by reading contemporary philosophical journals, such as Zeitschrift fur philosophische Forschug. In addition to the advantage of (relatively, compared to the original) short articles, these periodicals cover a wide range of topics, periods, and philosophers that would easily expand your philosphical vocabulary, and at the same time, would introduce you to current argumentative style.

mysterystar

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 04:45 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Yeah I remember reading wittengenstien in german saying the limits of his language were the limits of his world. I wish I could quote it Smile Thank you.
I wonder how I would say "leap of faith"

jgweed

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 07:10 pm
@mysterystar,
Please,everyone, remember that this forum is not designed for prolonged discussion or dialogue, but the for the straightforward asking a question and the providing answers focused on the original question.
Thanks,
John

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » your first reading in german philosophy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:33:06