Impulsive thought that has kept me up at night!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Impulsive thought that has kept me up at night!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kplax

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:30 pm
Hello there everyone. A recurring thought has kept me up for a couple weeks so I finally decided to write it on paper. Could someone give me some insight on whether or not this is a logical approach this particular ideology? This is what I came up with:

A common misconception is conditioned into our thoughts that suggests that the terms infinite and infinity have interchangeable means. However, this is not always the case.

First, I am going to define the two terms. Infinity is the idea of everything, a limitless amount of numbers without restrictions. The term infinite refers to a limitless amount of possibilities within predetermined restrictions. Let me elaborate on that idea.

Lets set up a simple inequality problem, 1<X<2. It is mathematically so that there are an infinite number of possible values for X, but it is still bound by the given restrictions. X cannot be equal to 2.00001, so it's possible value cannot stretch to infinity. Therefore, X cannot be equal to everything, but rather everything within the bounds of it's predetermined restrictions.

On the contrary, lets take the Lim of x->infinity of the equation (X^2)/X. The limit is infinity, so it is not bound by any restrictions.

Therefore, we can conclude that there exists a fundamental difference between an infinite number of possibilities and infinity itself.

Again, I am looking for some criticism.

Fido

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:24 pm
@kplax,
kplax;163727 wrote:
Hello there everyone. A recurring thought has kept me up for a couple weeks so I finally decided to write it on paper. Could someone give me some insight on whether or not this is a logical approach this particular ideology? This is what I came up with:

A common misconception is conditioned into our thoughts that suggests that the terms infinite and infinity have interchangeable means. However, this is not always the case.

First, I am going to define the two terms. Infinity is the idea of everything, a limitless amount of numbers without restrictions. The term infinite refers to a limitless amount of possibilities within predetermined restrictions. Let me elaborate on that idea.

Lets set up a simple inequality problem, 1<X<2. It is mathematically so that there are an infinite number of possible values for X, but it is still bound by the given restrictions. X cannot be equal to 2.00001, so it's possible value cannot stretch to infinity. Therefore, X cannot be equal to everything, but rather everything within the bounds of it's predetermined restrictions.

On the contrary, lets take the Lim of x->infinity of the equation (X^2)/X. The limit is infinity, so it is not bound by any restrictions.

Therefore, we can conclude that there exists a fundamental difference between an infinite number of possibilities and infinity itself.

Infinity is inconceivable and yet it does have some physical applications... What is infinte is all things not objectively verifyable... We know what a cube is as an object, and so we can form a concept of it, essentially, six square sides...without going into any great depth... And this is a true concept because it can be verified against the object so conceived... So, having concept for object we can recognize it when we see it, even if we only see three sides of it... But if we could never examine the object as a finite object, as it were, in our hands, measure and describe it, to say we know it, and conceive of it would be false...Existence, infinity itself, God, and all moral forms are of this sort of thing, not a thing at all because we cannot know it/ them as object/s.... We can have finite knowledge, and all other knowledge is speculation...We cannot conceive of infinites, and this presents us with all our problems in the moral world, and people are forever trying to apply logic to moral forms without success...

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:38 pm
@kplax,
kplax;163727 wrote:

You would probably love Cantor, if you don't already know of him.Georg Cantor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the word "infinity" is the noun that the adjective "infinite" is related to. True, we are using it in a slightly different way if we put lower and upper bounds on it, but as you say: there an are infinite number of solutions to that inequality. If you think of the number of solutions, that than the solutions themselves, I think you will agree that it's the same infinity. Of course "infinity" is hard to de-fine.

d3athlig3r

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 03:12 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;163762 wrote:
You would probably love Cantor, if you don't already know of him.Georg Cantor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the word "infinity" is the noun that the adjective "infinite" is related to. True, we are using it in a slightly different way if we put lower and upper bounds on it, but as you say: there an are infinite number of solutions to that inequality. If you think of the number of solutions, that than the solutions themselves, I think you will agree that it's the same infinity. Of course "infinity" is hard to de-fine.

I agree, Cantor is the man to know for the quest for infinity. I found this BBC documentary incredible, titled "Dangerous Knowledge" which basically means just that, the people who suffered physical trauma in their quest for infinity. You can find it on any torrent website, and I wont post the link just to stay safe.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Impulsive thought that has kept me up at night!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:14:09