Reason for life

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Minimal
 
Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 01:34 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135533 wrote:
Eating good food, drinking good wine, exercising, having sex, philosophizing, reading good text, playing video games, and getting massages.


What about social interaction? ;-) I hope the video games didn't replace that.

- Minimal.
 
William
 
Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 03:32 am
@Minimal,
Masquerade;126593 wrote:
This question is similar to what is the meaning of life which we don't have a concrete answer for. I don't believe that we need any reason to live. The only reason that we should have for living is to want to continue to live.

I also believe that living should in a sense be a good reason to strive for success and achievement. I don't see the point in living if your not going to enjoy and try your best to achieve success and happiness.


Hello Masquerade. Should life involve strife? Is striving necessary? Could it not be a lot simpler? Success is kind of spoiling, isn't it? I find it necessary, to appreciate the true meaning of a word, to research it's antonyms. What is it that causes one to be "unsuccessful"? No worth? Who is it among us who can say what an individuals worth is? Do you think more is what successful is? How much more do you need if that is indeed what you think? Can we be happier if we desire less? I think most assuredly so.

Zetherin;135533 wrote:
Eating good food, drinking good wine, exercising, having sex, philosophizing, reading good text, playing video games, and getting massages.


Hi Z. Having sex? I hope one of these days we will truly understand what life is so we don't have to do that so much. Ha! Making love and creating life I think are much more appropriate terms. Having sex just to have sex results in so many problems.

Minimal;137137 wrote:
What about social interaction? ;-) I hope the video games didn't replace that.

- Minimal.


You know Minimal I think that is exactly what they are going. Does that mean we are becoming more anti-social? I think absolutely. The young have to do something to utilize those so beautiful minds they have. What we academically force on them bores them to death in so many cases. Ha! No one really listens to them and do we ever need to do that? We don't give them the attention they need to the point they ignore us adults. We don't make sense to them anyway. Once we understand that life is eternal then we will know who our young actually are.

A child looks to us as if to say "Please be gentle and care for me; and I promise to do the same for you"! Life goes on. And on. And on. Even if you do not believe in our eternal nature, it's still seems like the right thing to do. If you don't consider a child in this way, what does that say of you? Why did you create that life in the first place. For selfish reasons to just "get off"? When one offers a little thought to that it explains a lot about this reality we have today.

Granted I understand our desire to procreate. It is universal. But is meant to be a "recreational activity"? So many children are treated like unwanted souvenirs to be dealt with.

To answer the OP and what is the "Reason for Life? Perhaps it is so God can have life too. What kind of life do you think he would want? Chaos/misery/strife or freedom/happiness/joy? Just a thought. We are just returning the gift. It just takes a little while for us to understand that and what Grace is all about. Sounds good to me.

William
 
jeeprs
 
Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 04:55 am
@awoelt,
I would be very suspicious of any 'philosophy' that puts so much stake in the afterlife. You only have this moment, and if you spend your whole life looking at the future you will reach the end of it without having lived it. Even if there is an afterlife, whatever is there will have been created by the way you live, so learn to appreciate each moment of life. G-d is often, or usually, a projection of the desire for things to turn out OK. There is no need to keep it, and no need to throw it out. Just see it for what it is.
 
Minimal
 
Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 05:00 am
@William,
William;137148 wrote:
You know Minimal I think that is exactly what they are going. Does that mean we are becoming more anti-social? I think absolutely. The young have to do something to utilize those so beautiful minds they have. What we academically force on them bores them to death in so many cases. Ha! No one really listens to them and do we ever need to do that? We don't give them the attention they need to the point they ignore us adults. We don't make sense to them anyway. Once we understand that life is eternal then we will know who our young actually are.


Good evening/day William! :-)

I can agree with you that in the traditional sense we are moving away from face-to-face contact and into an age when micro-blogging and web cams are equivalents to conversations. Being a relatively young man myself, I have been brought up to embrace technology and have integrated it into my life - I use my portable computer both recreationally and in my academic studies. It would be a sorely missed resource if I did not have it. I would even dare to say socially I would be worse off. For instance, I organise meetings and social events usual via electronic means be it Instant Messaging (IM) or emails. I also communicate with other minds from around the world by the aforementioned means and ones such as this site - they can prove to be a very liberating piece of machinery! Though, I take your point of people becoming less social in the traditional sense. I find it hard to believe people get the same emotional connectivity through a microphone discussing war tactics as they do with a face-to-face debate when you can see the eye twitches and passion ;-) There is something lacking in the virtual world, although it liberates us from the barriers of distance.

I think the major issue nowadays is that adults are unaware of the technologies their children use and that the children themselves have a far-greater knowledge of such technologies. I think of my beloved grandmother fumbling around with the TV remote with a sincere smile of genuine recognition of her predicament and amusement. This "generational gap" creates both a confusion about the technologies around us and even confusion about what the word "social" means - could make for a very interesting sub-discussion.

I would say virtual interaction is social in the sense communication occurs but try telling a young man his lover is with him when they chat over the phone - there is only a partial sense of connectivity in such an experience. The richness of the whole spectrum of nuances are not there.

William;137148 wrote:
A child looks to us as if to say "Please be gentle and care for me; and I promise to do the same for you"! Life goes on. And on. And on. Even if you do not believe in our eternal nature, it's still seems like the right thing to do. If you don't consider a child in this way, what does that say of you? Why did you create that life in the first place. For selfish reasons to just "get off"? When one offers a little thought to that it explains a lot about this reality we have today.

Granted I understand our desire to procreate. It is universal. But is meant to be a "recreational activity"? So many children are treated like unwanted souvenirs to be dealt with.


Sex is a romantic expression. I find it hard to believe a busty wench and a rubber is the equivalent of making love to a woman you have known for years and has eyes you look into and know how her mind moves - as well as her body ;-) In a not so dissimilar fashion to socialising, sex has lost its essence - that is genuine love. Sex sells and gratifies urges. Although a primal desire, there is an element of cerebral satisfaction that needs to occur for the connectivity to be beyond penetration - love transcends lust in my opinion. There is also responsibilities attached to sex and that is the acceptance of potential pregnancy. You should make sure you have similar views of such matters as accidental pregnancy - what is the point of a relationship where no common beliefs are held and no emotional bond is made? I think that question has an obvious answer.

- Minimal.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 06:02 am
@Gracee,
Gracee;135531 wrote:
In my opinion, the reason for life is happiness and fulfilment, and happiness is an autotelism (a reason in itself, that needs no other reasons).
Everything 'why' question you could ask about life either leads to an infinite regress without your autotelism. For example, 'Why do you go to school?
'Because I want to get into university.'
'Why?'
'So i can get a good job.'
'And why do you want a good job?'
'So I'll be happy and fulfilled.'
'And why do you want to be happy and fulfilled?'
'Well I just do.' - this is the autotelism, the reason which needs no reasons.

My advice: Find your autotelism... the thing you do, for which you need no reason, other than the fact that it makes you happy.



Why did you murder the king?
So I can become king .
And why do you want to become king"
Do I will be happy and fulfilled.
And why do you want to be happy and fulfilled
Well, I just do. Wanting happiness needs no reasons. My advice, do whatever you have to do to be happy.
 
Wisdom Seeker
 
Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:52 am
@Minimal,
gods have power
but has no use
no use means non-sense
in order for gods to have use and sense
he created humans with power
power to give use and sense to the gods


Therefore gods created humans to give them some use and
sense
 
William
 
Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:22 am
@Minimal,
Minimal;137158 wrote:
Good evening/day William! :-)

I can agree with you that in the traditional sense we are moving away from face-to-face contact and into an age when micro-blogging and web cams are equivalents to conversations. Being a relatively young man myself, I have been brought up to embrace technology and have integrated it into my life - I use my portable computer both recreationally and in my academic studies. It would be a sorely missed resource if I did not have it. I would even dare to say socially I would be worse off. For instance, I organise meetings and social events usual via electronic means be it Instant Messaging (IM) or emails. I also communicate with other minds from around the world by the aforementioned means and ones such as this site - they can prove to be a very liberating piece of machinery! Though, I take your point of people becoming less social in the traditional sense. I find it hard to believe people get the same emotional connectivity through a microphone discussing war tactics as they do with a face-to-face debate when you can see the eye twitches and passion ;-) There is something lacking in the virtual world, although it liberates us from the barriers of distance.

I think the major issue nowadays is that adults are unaware of the technologies their children use and that the children themselves have a far-greater knowledge of such technologies. I think of my beloved grandmother fumbling around with the TV remote with a sincere smile of genuine recognition of her predicament and amusement. This "generational gap" creates both a confusion about the technologies around us and even confusion about what the word "social" means - could make for a very interesting sub-discussion.

I would say virtual interaction is social in the sense communication occurs but try telling a young man his lover is with him when they chat over the phone - there is only a partial sense of connectivity in such an experience. The richness of the whole spectrum of nuances are not there.



Sex is a romantic expression. I find it hard to believe a busty wench and a rubber is the equivalent of making love to a woman you have known for years and has eyes you look into and know how her mind moves - as well as her body ;-) In a not so dissimilar fashion to socialising, sex has lost its essence - that is genuine love. Sex sells and gratifies urges. Although a primal desire, there is an element of cerebral satisfaction that needs to occur for the connectivity to be beyond penetration - love transcends lust in my opinion. There is also responsibilities attached to sex and that is the acceptance of potential pregnancy. You should make sure you have similar views of such matters as accidental pregnancy - what is the point of a relationship where no common beliefs are held and no emotional bond is made? I think that question has an obvious answer.

- Minimal.


Well said. :a-ok:

William

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 07:01 AM ----------

Wisdom Seeker;151737 wrote:
gods have power
but has no use
no use means non-sense
in order for gods to have use and sense
he created humans with power
power to give use and sense to the gods


Therefore gods created humans to give them some use and
sense


Hello young seeker of truth and welcome. As you use "gods", as it relates to us is accurate; as to the one, that's just a myth, don't you think? We...are "wee of the mighty".

William
 
Wisdom Seeker
 
Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:49 am
@William,
William;151745 wrote:
Well said. :a-ok:

William

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 07:01 AM ----------



Hello young seeker of truth and welcome. As you use "gods", as it relates to us is accurate; as to the one, that's just a myth, don't you think? We...are "wee of the mighty".

William


gods/deities/supernatural beings or what ever that is exist...
no one exist if no creates it
no one moves without moving it
there is existence
there is motion
therefore something creates existence
and something put it in motion
and they are the supernatural beings

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 06:57 AM ----------

life's real meaning is to give supernatural beings a sense and use because we are created with their power

or maybe to kill boredom from emptiness because we humans give them an entertainment
 
Missy B
 
Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 03:16 pm
@William,
I refuse to believe that I exist for nothing, that I live to Die and that when I eventually Die, it all ends and every good and bad I've done to mankind is meaningless and I wouldn't have a reward or punishment for them, that I exist just to have a feel of what the world is like. It doesn't make sense to me, there just has to be a reason (s) why I exist, why certain things happen. I'm too perfectly designed to be a 'product of some mistake' and to think the occurrence of that mistake is of no use and serves no lesson to nobody.


Ecclesiates 12 vs 14: Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

This, makes sense to me and this is why I exist and I believe it all don't just end after death.
 
north
 
Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 03:47 pm
@Missy B,
the reason for life is because it can on this planet

the enviroment was right
 
Purplesawdust
 
Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 04:37 pm
@awoelt,
There is no meaning for existence, it just was.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 10/20/2021 at 10:11:28