Vegetarianism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
What justifications are there for vegetarianism?

I am a vegetarian simply because there are no forms of meat that I have ever tasted that I have enjoyed. I will try any animal product that I have not ever tried, if given the opportunity. That is no guarantee that I will like it.

How do you justify it?

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:40 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
MiseryMyMuse;140995 wrote:

I am a vegetarian simply because there are no forms of meat that I have ever tasted that I have enjoyed. I will try any animal product that I have not ever tried, if given the opportunity. That is no guarantee that I will like it.

How do you justify it?
You can afford such way of living, because you live in a society with abudance.

If you was born in as a poor child in some tribal area, you would be malnurised, as it would be hard to get certain minerals and such through local crops. You most likely couldn't be able to work hard to provide for your family as you din't get the right diet.

Be glad you live like you do, you can afford it, not by moeny, but by health.

MiseryMyMuse

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:55 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;141000 wrote:
You can afford such way of living, because you live in a society with abudance.

If you was born in as a poor child in some tribal area, you would be malnurised, as it would be hard to get certain minerals and such through local crops. You most likely couldn't be able to work hard to provide for your family as you din't get the right diet.

Be glad you live like you do, you can afford it, not by moeny, but by health.

I do agree with you. I give a reasonable amount to charity (sometimes 1/3 of my (meager) paycheck), but I AM posting this in the 17 and under forum so I'm not really fully responsible for my personal wealth yet. I do have some moral stipulations about being, by a global standard, filthy rich, and, like you said, able to afford to live this way. However, I do try to be very frugal, and buy some cheap vegetarian stuff, and mostly ingredients so I can cook at home - it's cheaper. that said, Amy's vegan burritos are two bucks a pop at Target, but they'r SOOOOOOO good IMO.

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:03 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
MiseryMyMuse;141010 wrote:
I give a reasonable amount to charity (sometimes 1/3 of my (meager) paycheck)
Sorry to be rough, but be very careful of which charity organisations you support, some are just money mills, that will undermine the target suffering country's industries, by sending free stuff down there, that the local's have no point in producing anymore.

Support only the intelligent charity organisations.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:25 pm
@HexHammer,
Heya Miser there is a huge string about this already you may want to check out
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/ethics/4322-defending-killing-eating-animals-morally-wrong.html

Leonard

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:47 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
Its easier to grow plants than it is to raise livestock. A couple packets of cucumber/carrot/pumpkin seeds only cost a buck while a whole cow costs $1000. Even a relatively poor person could grow their own vegetables.

MiseryMyMuse

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:00 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;141015 wrote:
Sorry to be rough, but be very careful of which charity organisations you support, some are just money mills, that will undermine the target suffering country's industries, by sending free stuff down there, that the local's have no point in producing anymore.

Support only the intelligent charity organisations.

American Red Cross. What's your view on them?

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
MiseryMyMuse;141035 wrote:
American Red Cross. What's your view on them?
I can only tell what I think of the Danish Red Cross.

Too many times there has been reported drought and famine in an African state, where white farmers just a few miles away, have no problems, because of inexpensive wells, it has been so for decades and it sickens me.
They just collect money to send some food down there, and not solve the REAL problem of irrigation.

My family have irl friends down in reported areas, and they have no problems and does not understand all these famine reports.

That's why I must resort to cynically behaviour, tho I really wish to help the needy.

MiseryMyMuse

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;141037 wrote:
I can only tell what I think of the Danish Red Cross.

Too many times there has been reported drought and famine in an African state, where white farmers just a few miles away, have no problems, because of inexpensive wells, it has been so for decades and it sickens me.
They just collect money to send some food down there, and not solve the REAL problem of irrigation.

My family have irl friends down in reported areas, and they have no problems and does not understand all these famine reports.

That's why I must resort to cynically behaviour, tho I really wish to help the needy.

Hmmf. Do you know which organizations do build wells? I remember a few British ones, but not the names.

BTW, How's Denmark? I've never been outside North America, but as soon as I can, I want to go see Denmark. I have a Danish friend who seriously hyped me up on it.

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
MiseryMyMuse;141042 wrote:
Hmmf. Do you know which organizations do build wells? I remember a few British ones, but not the names.

BTW, How's Denmark? I've never been outside North America, but as soon as I can, I want to go see Denmark. I have a Danish friend who seriously hyped me up on it.
Sorry don't know which organisations are actually good, but ..I guess I should find out soon and resume my contribution to the world in need.

Trash on the streets ..everywhere, rockers and "dual lingual persons" (politically'ish correct word for them) are having shoot outs in our captial's outskirts.
Don't fall ill and get into a public hospital, we have had huge staff cuts, and hygeine is bad ..REALLY bad!

Else everything else is nice and dandy! :whistling:

Maybe it would be better to say where you friend's general local, is ..then I may give a better answer. :Glasses: ..since some areas actually are excelent.

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:18 pm
@MiseryMyMuse,
MiseryMyMuse;140995 wrote:

How do you justify it?

There are essentially three justifications.

1. Vegetarians live longer, healthier lives than meat eaters.

2. Being a vegetarian has a lessor impact on the environment than eating meat. This is largely because animals eat plants, and it takes many pounds of plant material to make one pound of meat.

3. Eating meat generally involves pain and suffering for the animals eaten.

Being a vegan does even more regarding all three justifications (i.e., vegans live longer, healthier lives than non-vegan vegetarians, animals used for things like milk and eggs still are eating many pounds of plants, and animals raised for things like milk and eggs generally involves pain and suffering for the animals so used). If you decide to be a vegan, read up on how to do it so that you get enough B vitamins.

Some, of course, are vegetarians for religious reasons, which some people might regard as a justification for it.

If you want to read more about these things, you can use a search engine (such as Google) for the terms "vegetarian" and "vegan".

What I wonder, though, is why you feel the need to justify it?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:51:09