You have no Soul

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 04:50 am
After some thinking i concluded that Humans have no Soul (Soul in the Religious Sense of Spirit that survives Death of Flesh) a Soul is much more the Part of our Mind that is not materialistic (from my Opinion) yet it needs the Brain to survive because our Brain is the material Part of our Mind because of this i also think of the Brain *
*as the "Supreme Body Part" which controls all of our Body and our Thinking. The Body is a complex Machine devoted to the supreme Ruler,
*the Brain (Thats the more extreme Way of explaining it) Rene Descartes also thought of the human Body as a Machine but devoted to the imaterial Part of our Mind. * *

prothero

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 02:06 pm
@no1author,
Descartes split the world in two (res extensa and res cogitans). In Descarte's world only humans had a "soul" all other creatures were essentialy "machines". He thought he was preserving the notion of god and religion but in fact this duality has been a disaster for religious thought. Monism (the inseparabiity of mind and matter) is a much more coherent notion.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 05:36 pm
@no1author,
The brain needs consciousness to exist and consciousness seems to need to brain. Seems like a Moebius strip. Dualism is questionable indeed.

Leonard

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:46 pm
@no1author,
'Soul' almost seems to be the theist's euphemism for mind.
-There is disagreement whether or not the 'soul' is ethereal. As Monism and Duality are beyond our reach, there is no firm ground to stand on. Nonetheless, looking at the argument is necessary to understand it, and I still have some questions.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 06:57 pm
@no1author,
Firm ground. Does it exist? Or do we roll in the sand of self-serving prejudice?

Fido

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:54 pm
@no1author,
no1author;108501 wrote:
After some thinking i concluded that Humans have no Soul (Soul in the Religious Sense of Spirit that survives Death of Flesh) a Soul is much more the Part of our Mind that is not materialistic (from my Opinion) yet it needs the Brain to survive because our Brain is the material Part of our Mind because of this i also think of the Brain *
*as the "Supreme Body Part" which controls all of our Body and our Thinking. The Body is a complex Machine devoted to the supreme Ruler,
*the Brain (Thats the more extreme Way of explaining it) Rene Descartes also thought of the human Body as a Machine but devoted to the imaterial Part of our Mind. * *

Telling me I have no soul doesn't bother me a bit because that end of me is covered...Tell me I have no honor and ets tom ta fought...

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:09 pm
@no1author,
"Soul" or "mind." Both of these abstract words are dead metaphors. Both of them are poetry. And the jargon that scientist use is also poetry, for all their anti-poetical arrogance.

And by poetry I don't mean Keats. I mean figurative language, tropes.

Fido

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:11 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109484 wrote:
"Soul" or "mind." Both of these abstract words are dead metaphors. Both of them are poetry. And the jargon that scientist use is also poetry, for all their anti-poetical arrogance.

And by poetry I don't mean Keats. I mean figurative language, tropes.

Some of it is sociology, and some of it is anthropology, and philosophy...Our sorting out of these ideas is humanity giving voice to its conception of its self... The Greek word for soul was anima... What we call life they called soul, spirit... What we see more biologically, they saw spiritually... Hands were moved by the will, by the spirit... The concept and purpose of muscles and nerves eluded them... The words and forms come from a different age, but they are hardly dead, and will not be dead until no more people relate through them... The life of forms is the life of people... Consider that children go through the same stages of belief as humanity...It is not just quaint, but a history of our ascent from mental childhood....

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 02:11 pm
@no1author,
Fido, You like Vico? Norman O. Brown wrote a nice little book called Closing Time on Vico and Joyce's Finnegans Wake. Addresses history, language, culture, etc.

Fido

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 03:13 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;109626 wrote:
Fido, You like Vico? Norman O. Brown wrote a nice little book called Closing Time on Vico and Joyce's Finnegans Wake. Addresses history, language, culture, etc.

Nope...You have proved me ignorant...

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 04:40 pm
@no1author,
You mentioned the ascent from human childhood and this is exactly Vico's theme. He investigates the development of language and also of politics.

First the theocratic age. Then the heroic. Then the democratic. Then chaos. Repeat.

But he's no whiner. He's a powerful soul.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:08:05