Blowing up the world = best solution?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Shinhyung
 
Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 11:32 pm
@Aedes,
jgweed;93734 wrote:
Even for the unhappy, the destruction of the world would preclude their chance for experiencing future happiness. Of course, the other side of the coin is that those who are currently happy would never face future unhappiness.

But are their not other criteria by which one could judge life? Perhaps if one asked about destroying future creativity, one would give a different answer. Ask this question of Beethoven, who was miserable quite often in his life, and ask him whether he wished to die before completing his symphonies but end his suffering.

I love Beethoven very much, by the way. I think just one person committing suicide is bad because it makes other people sad as well as stop themselves making other people happier in the future. But if everyone vanished and no one was left there to feel that, or know they have been precluded of their future happiness, wouldn't it be okay?

I don't actually want this bomb too much, but I just can't find a reason why I shouldn't.:unsure:
 
odenskrigare
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:57 am
@Shinhyung,
we should want to be replaced by something better I think
 
Aedes
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:56 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;94372 wrote:
we should want to be replaced by something better I think
Why should we want anything if we're all gone?

And what would be better... maybe cockroaches, they're survivors and they don't have all these emotions.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:29 am
@Shinhyung,
Shinhyung wrote:

I love Beethoven very much, by the way. I think just one person committing suicide is bad because it makes other people sad as well as stop themselves making other people happier in the future. But if everyone vanished and no one was left there to feel that, or know they have been precluded of their future happiness, wouldn't it be okay?

I don't actually want this bomb too much, but I just can't find a reason why I shouldn't.:unsure:


What is the reason(s) that you should?
 
Pangloss
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:51 am
@Shinhyung,
Shinhyung;94012 wrote:

I don't actually want this bomb too much, but I just can't find a reason why I shouldn't.:unsure:


We've already got them, stationed in silos and submarines all over the world. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it at some point.
 
Lily
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:12 pm
@Shinhyung,
:nonooo:I don't wanna die!!!
 
Arjuna
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 02:27 pm
@Shinhyung,
A knew a woman who said that if she had a button that would cause the world to blow up, she would push it without hesitation.

That changed. She fell in love.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 03:03 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;94465 wrote:
A knew a woman who said that if she had a button that would cause the world to blow up, she would push it without hesitation.

That changed. She fell in love.


Give her six months, she'll probably want to press it again.
 
Arjuna
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;94468 wrote:
Give her six months, she'll probably want to press it again.

Uh, yea.... actually it took about a year. Hey but she went on to invent a way to quit smoking that actually worked on one of our friends. Something about unconflicted thinking.. or something.
 
Leonard
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 05:44 pm
@Shinhyung,
Why should we destroy the earth if it will likely outlast us all?

Technology makes it possible to do such things, and technology will eventually become our undoing. Knowledge is the deadliest weapon of all, and once technology surpasses us in knowledge, we won't be needed anymore. Figuratively or literally, humanity is coming to an end. Either we give up our humanity to technology or technology destroys us.

If that doesn't happen, doomsday conspirators can just worry about our race for the rest of eternity.

---------- Post added 09-30-2009 at 06:45 PM ----------

We could also condemn the world's 50 million most unhappy people to New Jersey.Laughing But seriously, consistently unhappy people have no reason to be unhappy other than to make happy people unhappy as well.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:05 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;94481 wrote:
Uh, yea.... actually it took about a year. Hey but she went on to invent a way to quit smoking that actually worked on one of our friends. Something about unconflicted thinking.. or something.


Ah, good, sounds like she's maturing instead of wallowing in self-pity.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:32 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;94482 wrote:
We could also condemn the world's 50 million most unhappy people to New Jersey.
I thought that had already happened.
 
Arjuna
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:09 pm
@Zetherin,
OMG! People from New Jersey are great... most of the ones I've met. Course they weren't in New Jersey at the time.


Zetherin;94490 wrote:
Ah, good, sounds like she's maturing instead of wallowing in self-pity.

I'm not sure it was self pity. Actually I don't know what it was. She was also a Libertarian. I don't suppose that explains anything.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:09 pm
@Shinhyung,
Hey, guys, stop attacking New Jersey! There's a lot of beautiful places in the state!
 
Aedes
 
Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:52 pm
@Shinhyung,
yeah I'm also from the tri-state area, Jersey is ok
 
YoungSocrates
 
Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 09:48 pm
@Shinhyung,
Of course that would not be a solution. We have potential to leave our mark in the world. We are created to make progress and find solutions until our inevitable death. Life is not intended to end because of it's flaws. Unhappiness is a problem with many solutions. One is cymbalta. That one isn't so long term, but the point is that we need to help society as much as we can before we leave this place. If we don't people will make comments like that one you just made, hoping to end the world because of it's imperfection. Tell me, what are we to do if the world was perfect. we'd be bored out of our minds. and smiling all the time. Flaws keeep us busy, and focused, and at the end of our lives' we'll know we substantially changed the world and made the job easier for our children. I understand where your logic is coming from, but it doesn't help to destroy human existence. it's cheating the system. Life is a challenge we need to overcome. Not by means of suicide. That bomb wouldn't fix unhappiness, it would just end opportunity.
 
odenskrigare
 
Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:17 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;94482 wrote:
Why should we destroy the earth if it will likely outlast us all?

Technology makes it possible to do such things, and technology will eventually become our undoing. Knowledge is the deadliest weapon of all, and once technology surpasses us in knowledge, we won't be needed anymore. Figuratively or literally, humanity is coming to an end. Either we give up our humanity to technology or technology destroys us.


Grendel - New Flesh is a favorite song of mine
 
Caroline
 
Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:40 pm
@Shinhyung,
I don't think anyone has the right to kill anyone, not the happy nor the unhappy. What would be the point I ask you, it seem pretty pointless, the unhappy want the power, the happy want to be alive, which one is selfish? The person who presses the button that's who, so in self defense the person with the finger on the button needs to be taken out of the picture. And needs to change or just go away or something.
Thanks.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/19/2021 at 04:50:36