why do we live

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 12:54 pm
Is there a reason why we live? ( I believe there is. Just confused about it. Don't know which path i should follow. This is why i asked people if they were my God, what would they want from me)
If so, is it already decided before OR actual meaning of living is to find our aims?
And isn't it odd that i realize i knew things and i used to say them- without realizing i was aware of them- and later i learn them by experience but somehow they don't seem very interesting because interestingness of this 'knowing and than becoming aware of the things i knew' is interesting enough.
Hope one day i'll just look back and see (today) myself as a kid who knew what she needed to do and did them in the best way she could. It is like being born in a white room and staying there all life long so you think only white exist in world. Than you get out of that room and see other colors exist too. It is hard to see all the picture . Every single time i try, experience and live- i see another bit of it.
Olders- how many of you can say that you have been right for most of your life and followed the right path? I know it is changeable 'right way' but i believe not all the time because otherwise i wouldn't be feeling guilty for some things i have done before- since i don't like to feel it. OR maybe I am not able to save myself from this feeling and my aim is to feel it, for this time of my life. Than i can jump to the next level LOL. Like super mario.
Anyways. I am hoping to save the princess some day!
Love!

Caroline

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 01:54 pm
@grasshopper,
For me there is no right path, (as such), and I learn from my mistakes. By right I mean doing the right things and not bad things. We all experience guilt, envy etc, emotions, because we are human, for me I learn from this and learn to move on.

Leonard

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 02:58 pm
@grasshopper,
You aren't born with a set path to go, rather it is carved by every nuance in your mind. If you wish do delve deeper into the reason of why you aren't constricted to a singular path, you may examine multiverse theories (which I don't believe is easy). You are given unlimited choices in life, and you have many things which you must choose. One thing you may choose over another simply because it better suits you, and some things you may choose because they will benefit you more than others.

Personally I would not attempt to cause major change in the world, as you cause change in everything simply by thinking or doing. Refer to the Butterfly Effect. A butterfly in New York flaps its wings, and that small change is enough to cause a hurricane to sprout in the Atlantic Ocean.

You have a reason to live, whether you do good or bad, it is still change. A man wonders his whole life what the meaning of his life is. He reads books, helps people, and causes change, all in the process of searching for his reason. The reason we exist is to search for a reason to exist. It's one of my favorite paradoxes. Of course, the other reason we live is to procreate, and this does not benefit us in the slightest, but we do so to benefit the earth. Future generations also search for meaning in this lonely universe when that search for meaning may be the true meaning of life.

No human has a preset path, we are like robots. A robot attempts to climb stairs, and overcalculates the height. He falls over. The next time, he undercalculates it. He falls again. By figuring out by how much he fell each time, and why he fell, the robot can sucessfully climb the stairs, assuming further stairs don't have varied height. If he reaches such a stair and falls again, the process continues. The same thing exists with humans. We aren't born with innate capabilities to carry out our lives prefectly. Then we would not be humans, our faults and lack of knowledge is what makes us human. We wonder things in philosophy, and there are hundreds of theories in each subject. Never finding out which one is correct makes us human, because there is no correct answer to these things. We are born with mechanisms such as limbs, and are also born with senses. Without them, we wouldn't follow any path. They make us human.

richrf

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 10:34 pm
@Leonard,
Hi grasshopper,

Seems like you are ready for some Kungfu training!

Master Po: [after easily defeating the boy in combat] Ha, ha, never assume because a man has no eyes he cannot see. Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Master Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Young Caine: No.
Master Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Young Caine: [looking down and seeing the insect] Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

So much to observe, to learn, to experiment with, to create. I wouldn't worry too much about choosing the right path. But when you can hear the grasshopper - well that is something! :a-ok:

Rich

Serena phil

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:14 am
@grasshopper,
There is a reason, but there isn't any one reason. The ability of 'consciousness' allows us to further explore the significances within our path and it is up to us to make it count.

Lily

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:49 am
@grasshopper,
It's very hard to find the right path, I sometimes feel like I got lost years ago. Right know I think that we only live to live. But when I'm 30 or 40 I might feel different. I don't know, it's a really difficult question...:ya-think:
grasshopper;83035 wrote:
I am hoping to save the princess some day!

Haha, me too.:a-ok: Or maybe I want to be saved...

Shinhyung

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:26 pm
@grasshopper,
grasshopper;83035 wrote:
Is there a reason why we live? ( I believe there is. Just confused about it. Don't know which path i should follow.
I'm wondering, what makes you believe that there is a reason why we live?

The "reason why I live" is because I was born, and why I live on and not kill myself is because it will hurt to die; it will make my family and friends sad.

So I live. But what I should do in my life (what path should I follow) remains a question to me. One thing is that I don't think that we were born with a mission that has been consciously designed (by someone like God). Currently, I think the best I can do is to choose options that will make as many people as possible as happy as possible, since happiness is what everyone likes!

grasshopper;83035 wrote:
And isn't it odd that i realize i knew things and i used to say them- without realizing i was aware of them- and later i learn them by experience but somehow they don't seem very interesting because interestingness of this 'knowing and than becoming aware of the things i knew' is interesting enough.
And yes this does seem quite odd, I've never experienced it!

prothero

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:15 pm
@grasshopper,
It is up to each individual to give purpose and meaning to his/her own life. You have a talent, you have a contribution to make you are a unique unrepeatable creation. Find your passion and pursue it to the exclusion of others opinions.

vajrasattva

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:34 pm
@grasshopper,
You are built to like some things and not other things. It would make sense that your reason for being alive, according to a creator god, would have somthing to do with your likes and dislikes. Either fighting somthing you dislike in the world or helping somthing that you like. But i think god wants us to want to be here. So, god lets us pick where to go. So we like it. Life is chaotic, but if we have a choice of chaos then we like things more.

Darkpoet

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:35 pm
@grasshopper,
In my opinion, There is actually no reason why we live. We live, because we can, that is just it. If we suddenly thought of suicide, and actually almost did it, you would have second thoughts of why you would end your own life. It would seem a large amount of loss if you would do that. This will hold you back with questions, that makes you realize our purpose here, Do we really have a purpose here? We don't know, maybe do, maybe we don't, but as far as Living goes, we can't just throw ourselves down and not do anything about it. Our sole reason to live is because we have the will to keep on living.

Life is a complete mystery, we will never know the answer, that is why we must keep on living. So that we live in mystery itself. Forever finding something, something that could be larger than what we cannot understand.

mister kitten

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:30 pm
@Shinhyung,
I think there is/are no reason(s). If some type of aliens came to our planet, and with us having no previous interaction, with knowledge of any religion that we created I would be more inclined to believe.

Shinhyung;83359 wrote:
Currently, I think the best I can do is to choose options that will make as many people as possible as happy as possible, since happiness is what everyone likes!

The utilitarian way of doing things. :poke-eye:

Shinhyung

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:49 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;85217 wrote:
The utilitarian way of doing things. :poke-eye:
It does happen to be, although I knew nothing about Utilitarianism until I looked it up just now (I hardly know anything, but like to participate in discussions and learn). If you don't share the view, what do you consider is the best thing to do in your life?

mister kitten

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:32 pm
@Shinhyung,
Shinhyung;85285 wrote:
It does happen to be, although I knew nothing about Utilitarianism until I looked it up just now (I hardly know anything, but like to participate in discussions and learn). If you don't share the view, what do you consider is the best thing to do in your life?

I knew nothing about utilitarianism until April or May of this year. I consider learning to be the most important thing in my life (I think of high school as my job). Learning as much as I can is what I want to do. In terms of a real job I want to be a doctor.

Shinhyung

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:26 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;85446 wrote:
I knew nothing about utilitarianism until April or May of this year. I consider learning to be the most important thing in my life (I think of high school as my job). Learning as much as I can is what I want to do. In terms of a real job I want to be a doctor.
I agree learning is important, but it has to be for something, like in my case, doing most good for the most possible people! What would you use your knowledge for? Just wondering Smile

Lily

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:28 pm
@grasshopper,
Learning is fun, because then I can act smart:shifty::a-ok:

Krumple

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:14 pm
@grasshopper,
Quote:
Learning is fun, because then I can act smart

Lily, I don't think you need to act. Wink

Shadow Dragon

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:38 pm
@grasshopper,
Life itself has no innate meaning or reason to exist. Though your life as an individual can have a reason to exist if you give it one.

mister kitten

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:08 am
@Shinhyung,
Shinhyung;85641 wrote:
I agree learning is important, but it has to be for something, like in my case, doing most good for the most possible people! What would you use your knowledge for? Just wondering Smile

I would, and will, use my knowledge to help others. Can you give any examples of your 'good,' please?

Shinhyung

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 04:52 am
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;85784 wrote:
I would, and will, use my knowledge to help others. Can you give any examples of your 'good,' please?
Happiness. Anything good is good because it makes people happy. As many people as possible and as great as possible. Long term and weighed out with other possoble greater happinesses.

Lily

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:28 am
@Shinhyung,
Shinhyung;86835 wrote:
Happiness. Anything good is good because it makes people happy. As many people as possible and as great as possible. Long term and weighed out with other possoble greater happinesses.

:a-ok:Nice! I agree, eventhough I usually just try to make myself happy, not others. I'm a bit selfish...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:46:52