Matrix

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

awoelt

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 04:41 pm
I am sure many of you are fimiliar with the matrix series. In these movies, robots are hoding people captive while the peole are not aware of this. The machines hook them to the matrix and the humans think that they are in another world not being held captive while they are being kept in bondage by the machines. So i was wondering. How do we know we are not in the matrix? How do we know the world around us is real?:hmm:

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:04 pm
@awoelt,
Does it really matter if we are in the Matrix? Would your life change if you realized the world around you was actually an illusion, but you couldn't do anything about it?

The Matrix is an update on the question: how do we know that we are not brains in vats? In the end the answer does not matter, because it has no effect on our day to day lives. We exist. Whether this is only appearance or reality has no effect on our existence.

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 11:10 pm
@Theaetetus,
Hey, that would solve Olber's Paradox! The machines ran out of ram and memory, lol.

And no it matter not whether we were in the matrix or not, unless you knew. In which case, why create the conflict.

awoelt

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:18 pm
@awoelt,
yeah i know it does not matter but it is fun 2 think about

Joshy phil

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:50 pm
@awoelt,
Well, obviously the specific concept of the Matrix used in the series was created by humans, meaning that it would be highly unlikely to actually exist.
Still, on that basis, you could argue that most concepts have been created by humans, at least to our degree of understanding, perhaps even God. Therefore, there is truly no way of knowing. I can't argue that it is a brilliant concept, and I would be fascinated if it were to be true, or even something similar (perhaps not the brains in vats concept).

Jose phil

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:40 pm
@awoelt,
The Matrix is also based on Descartes' evil daemon which in this case are the "machines".

Phronimos

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 01:16 am
@Jose phil,
On this subject, the movie the Truman Show--a pretty good movie in it's own right--is also relatable to Plato's allegory of the cave, as is the Matrix.

Thanatos phil

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 10:28 pm
@awoelt,
It wouldn't matter if we were in the matrix or not, we'd all still be ourselves. Same person different venue.

dharma bum

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 09:22 am
@awoelt,
The Matrix is loosely based on the 'Brain in a vat' concept, which states, in different terms, that we can't prove that life isn't a computer program.

For example, you could be the only person in existence, and I could be a program designed to type this message to you, for one reason or another.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:24:19