Why should we believe in god.

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Why should we believe in god.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

MITech
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:25 pm
For all of you religious people out there. Give us atheists a good reason as to why we shoud all believe in a god. What I'm trying to get at is do we even need to believe in a god? What difference would it make if we did or didn't believe in god?
 
William
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:47 pm
@MITech,
MITech wrote:
For all of you religious people out there. Give us atheists a good reason as to why we shoud all believe in a god. What I'm trying to get at is do we even need to believe in a god? What difference would it make if we did or didn't believe in god?


Hello Mitech,

What is it you think "believing in God" represents to you?

William
 
MITech
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:52 pm
@William,
Well for example to believe in god is to believe that there is this all powerful being that created us. Also that he will send us to heaven if we follow the ten commandments.
 
Deftil
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@MITech,
Well, if God exists, and he's a god that will punish us if we don't believe in him, then it's in our best interest to believe in him. I guess that would be the most logical argument for why you should believe in god.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:17 pm
@MITech,
 
SummyF
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:18 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
because the mahdi/saviour/1st messiah is coming


cant you see the problems in the middle east?:whistling:
 
MITech
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:21 pm
@SummyF,
I'm just saying that we should look at everything that has happened in the world and ask ourselves, what has god done for us. Its not like he's doing anything about the war and poverty in this world.
[INDENT] "I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religion than it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

-Albert Einstein
[/INDENT]This should be a good point here that Einstein is making. It is sad how childish the human race is. In fact I wouldn't even consider us to be children.

Are we ever going to gain any knowledge from believing in god. No!!!!!!!!!!!
The only way we will gain knowledge in the future is in science.

Did god invent the microchip. No. Did religion help us in that invention. No.
Science did
 
SummyF
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:39 pm
@MITech,
Quote:
Did religion help us in that invention. No.
Science did


Well the technique was obviosuly science, and knowledge. Religion did give us the societal structure to give a system of men to create things like science and the infrastructure of knowledge. It was religious people that created some of the things we use today like Algebra. We can also assume that if it wasn't for the tradition of the protestant christian we wouldn't be here on this fourm disscusing things such as philosophy. Someone from the ahbrahamic tradition would say that the progression you see in human intellect is divine, and Muslims will specifically refer to the quranic verse which say how the earth is shaped. The quran was written in the 8th or 9th century
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 03:46 pm
@MITech,
 
SummyF
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 04:00 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
 
validity
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 05:47 pm
@MITech,
MITech wrote:
What difference would it make if we did or didn't believe in god?


We would need to decide if we are to keep the laws that have a "god said so" basis eg homosexuals not having equal rights as heterosexuals in terms of marriage, legal standing as partner etc.

We would also need to think of something else to say when people sneeze (may I suggest "feels good hey"), new reasons to have certain holidays during the year etc
 
SummyF
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:00 pm
@validity,
validity;25648 wrote:
We would need to decide if we are to keep the laws that have a "god said so" basis eg homosexuals not having equal rights as heterosexuals in terms of marriage, legal standing as partner etc.

We would also need to think of something else to say when people sneeze (may I suggest "feels good hey"), new reasons to have certain holidays during the year etc


Ic

Yet, the modern civilization has been ruled under abrahamic traditions for a long time. Every social institution has been created in accordance with abrahamic tradition. Marriage is something that is defined in most of our cultures by religious text. So homosexuality isn't a good institutionto look at. Equality is also a very hard term to define. I think you are looking equal rights. in laws that come from christianity we cant have a right that is illegal(sinful). It is like haveing the right to kill yourself, because your ideology maybe primitavist. which you needed to kill someone to survive
 
validity
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:37 pm
@SummyF,
SummyF wrote:
Ic

Yet, the modern civilization has been ruled under abrahamic traditions for a long time. Every social institution has been created in accordance with abrahamic tradition. Marriage is something that is defined in most of our cultures by religious text. So homosexuality isn't a good institutionto look at. Equality is also a very hard term to define. I think you are looking equal rights. in laws that come from christianity we cant have a right that is illegal(sinful). It is like haveing the right to kill yourself, because your ideology maybe primitavist. which you needed to kill someone to survive


So when we remove the foundation of these rules/laws i.e. god says so, why should we not at least question the rules in light of our own sense of what should be right?
 
SummyF
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 07:48 pm
@validity,
validity;25651 wrote:
So when we remove the foundation of these rules/laws i.e. god says so, why should we not at least question the rules in light of our own sense of what should be right?


every religion does, jafari,halaka are jurisprudence have to because of the evolution of human thought
science and the social issues that come from it, is an example of the questioning

martin luther asked the questioned of how to worship, and question the interpretation of the bible, and the meanings of the bible

and no one said not to ask, in-fact jesus and mohammed said knowledge/ questioning is very important aspect to life.
 
MillerL1te
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 08:42 pm
@SummyF,
I think science alone cannot make our society progress. Science can only give us the answers to the what and the how questions, but never the how questions. I think God and religion offer explanations for the why questions. Christianity at its most basic levels says that we should be Christ like for the sake of humanity, not to achieve immortality. Read up on Dostoevsky. Science may give us technical progress, but it will never provide any basis for morals or provide any purpose for our existence.
 
SummyF
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 08:50 pm
@MillerL1te,
MillerL1te;25657 wrote:
I think science alone cannot make our society progress. Science can only give us the answers to the what and the how questions, but never the how questions. I think God and religion offer explanations for the why questions. Christianity at its most basic levels says that we should be Christ like for the sake of humanity, not to achieve immortality. Read up on Dostoevsky. Science may give us technical progress, but it will never provide any basis for morals or provide any purpose for our existence.


In addition, divine law gives us an authoritarian figure in our thought process, which makes us obey laws. Secularists, try to experience the maximum amount of freedom, without a sense of time.
 
MillerL1te
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 08:59 pm
@SummyF,
SummyF wrote:
In addition, divine law gives us an authoritarian figure in our thought process, which makes us obey laws. Secularists, try to experience the maximum amount of freedom, without a sense of time.


Yeah agreed. With a maximum amount of freedom, there is really no sense of direction or purpose because there is no basis for anything really.
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:24 pm
@SummyF,
SummyF;25655 wrote:
every religion does, jafari,halaka are jurisprudence have to because of the evolution of human thought
science and the social issues that come from it, is an example of the questioning

martin luther asked the questioned of how to worship, and question the interpretation of the bible, and the meanings of the bible

and no one said not to ask, in-fact jesus and mohammed said knowledge/ questioning is very important aspect to life.


Bravo.
And what can oppose the will of God?
 
Didymos Thomas
 
Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:56 pm
@TickTockMan,
Quote:
For all of you religious people out there. Give us atheists a good reason as to why we shoud all believe in a god. What I'm trying to get at is do we even need to believe in a god? What difference would it make if we did or didn't believe in god?


Why we should all believe in God? We should not all believe in God.

For some belief in God is extremely useful, for others, not so much. Nothing wrong with that. Those who do believe in God should not be arrogant enough to suggest that everyone should believe in God, nor should those who do not believe in God be arrogant enough to suggest that no one should believe in God.

The difference it makes if we believe or not? Depends on the person.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:59 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Perhaps another question to "why should we believe in God" is "why should we not believe in God?"

Take me for example. I have never been to India. Yet I am aware that India had the Ganges river, a nuclear program, etc. Does the fact that I haven't seen it negate the possibility of it ever existing? For all I know, it may be a hoax... India may not exist.

God may be a simple issue of plausible possibility if anything, regardless of faith or belief.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Why should we believe in god.
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/27/2021 at 01:39:07