Sytar's Class

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:55 pm
Ok, in stead of making a new thread everytime i do something in class, I'm going to post the cool things I do in class here. Like this one:
(you should have an understanding of Kant's Categorical Imperative, Utilitarianism, and Niche to get this)

This is an exercize in morals. Basicly, use what you know about each area and put the words into the Venn diagram as such. Remember not to base your answer off of what you think, but what each philosophy thinks.
Take the following words and organize them into the Venn diagram between Kant's Categorical Imperative, Utilitarianism, and Niche.
Click on the link below and save the image. Or just write it down. just think of some way to get me your answer.

Mod removed broken image path

Thank you.

jgweed

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 02:47 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
No image, and do you perhaps mean Nietzsche?

Sytar Embassy

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 03:59 pm
@jgweed,
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/503/venndiagramofmoralsek0.th.jpgTry this, and yes I mean that guy.

Deftil

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 09:53 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Sytar Embassy;24986 wrote:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/503/venndiagramofmoralsek0.th.jpgTry this, and yes I mean that guy.

Sytar, this sounds interesting but the image is just showing up as a little thumbnail and it's too small to actually read.

Where exactly are you that you're taking a class that covers stuff like this with 13-17 year olds?

Sytar Embassy

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:34 pm
@Deftil,
Sorry, can't figure out how to get the full image, I'll work on that. and I'm posting here cause I don't know where else to post this.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 09:35 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
all right sorry I haven't been posting in a while, but Pre-Calc is taking a lot of time. and then so is my Girlfriend. but i'm back! So, in my philosophy class we are thinking about, "How do you know what is real?" and, "If you believe something, does that make it right or real?" Imput?

My thoughts on this is simply this. What we see now is real. What you see in a dream is still real to you. As for believing something is real, well, that kind of falls into the Ethics area. But if you truely believe you are right, then its right and very real to you.

jgweed

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:51 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
To say something is real is at the same time to believe it is real; but to believe something is real is not at the same time to make it real.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:58 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed wrote:
To say something is real is at the same time to believe it is real; but to believe something is real is not at the same time to make it real.

Sounds like my teacher.Laughing

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:58 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Well believing that something is real falls into the realm of epistemology. Believing something is the right thing to do would be ethics. There is a major difference between the theoretical realm and the deliberative realms of human understanding.

Sytar Embassy wrote:
if you truely believe you are right, then its right and very real to you

That assumes that your beliefs are justified by your perspective. Does that make them true or does it not even matter if they really are true considering your perspective?

Sytar Embassy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 09:45 am
@Theaetetus,
Well, that is what I am trying to say. We all have different ideas of what is true. Think of it like this, a relgious belife is very different from other religons. Each one of them believe that they are right. So, they believe they are right, and if you believe something is right shouldn't it follow similar ideals?

But, thats just my young mind thinking.

jgweed

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 10:28 am
@Sytar Embassy,
"Paris is the capital of France."

The truth of this statement is independent of what you might believe about it.

"The Trinity is made of three distinct identities."
The "truth" of this kind of statement depends on individual belief.

It is important to distinguish between "matters of fact" and "opinions of belief" in thinking about ideas of truth.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 12:10 pm
@jgweed,
Yes, Paris is the capital of France. that is a belief that everyone believes, thus its true those everyone. fact and truth can be one in the same because if we believe what others believe is fact, then it must real.

jgweed

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 01:37 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Under most circumstances, don't we ordinarily say, "I know Paris is the capital of France?" Of if we actually say, "I believe Paris is the capital of France," this is a polite way of making the statement, of saying the same thing?

I am merely suggesting that there is a major difference between "belief" and "knowing" that something is the case. We can, for example, understand the rules for determining whether a matter of fact is true or false by appealing to them, but cannot in matters of belief.

Nor do we ask for a show of hands about whether Paris is the capital. What would happen, for example, if we asked our question in a village in the Amazon, and the natives by show of hands thought that Paris was some kind of animal?
Not that long ago, a majority of educated people believed the world was flat; was it flat then and later actually round, or was it a sphere all along and people were mistaken?

Consider this: is something true because "everyone" agrees that it is so, or does "everyone" agree something is true because it is true.

Sytar Embassy

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:57 pm
@jgweed,
Well, I just that as we continue to discover and learn about our world, we change what we believe such as your comment about the world being "flat." Then we discovered the truth. But, truth and believe are about how you look at it. Those villagers look at the term, "France" or "Paris" and believe it as an animal or whatever they what to think. Thats true to them.

If that makes any sence, and if it does, could you explain it to me? Laughing

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:02:15