Hey! Hoping for acceptance

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hey! Hoping for acceptance

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 06:23 pm
There is no acceptance of intelligence or, especially, philosophy in the teenage junior high. I've been shunned by the unthinking majority of the school, barely having a few friends, who one doesn't understand philosophy, the other is too serious and likes hurting people who make jokes too often (me), the other hard to read, and the last too organized for her own good. I have a random poetry journal that I like to quote from occasionally because I have no life.

All that rambling probably bored you to tears, no? To say it shortly, I'm lonely when it comes to talking about my philosophy and trying to deepen my mind. I'm hoping all you nice people will become my friends. I have no idea what I want to be when i grow up, and the term "grown up" sends me on a tangent, so I'll restrain myself for the moment.

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 06:41 pm
@ThoughtAsStupid,
Finally a teenager who enjoys philosophy and realises that school does not accept intellect

boagie

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 07:16 pm
@ThoughtAsStupid,
ThoughtAsStupid;Smile

Wow, sounds like its a ruff time, just remember if you like entertaining those philosophical thoughts you are a minority. As a teacher told me once if you want meaningful dialogue you don't go to the ball park, their going to talk baseball. Nothing wrong with baseball of course, but you get the drift. It sounds like you will be in your element here, so, welcome ThoughAsStupid we are most please to have you with us. boagie

paulhanke

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:36 pm
@ThoughtAsStupid,
ThoughtAsStupid wrote:
To say it shortly, I'm lonely when it comes to talking about my philosophy and trying to deepen my mind.

Me, too. That's the whole reason I'm here. (Until I joined this forum a couple of days ago, my only philosophical "conversations" have been with books.) Welcome!

philosopherqueen

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:27 pm
@paulhanke,
I totally understand. I went though high school with one friend, because I made all the jockets feel stupid, so they ignored me. As they said. In college I was in an Intro to Philosophy class where there was only 6 people in my class. I then was asked by that teacher to restart the Socratic Society and I was actually surprised with all the people that showed up and wanted to discuss things on a more philosophical level. That teacher also was my science teacher to, and he used to say I was more of a why person (which annoys people more) than of a how person.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:17 pm
@philosopherqueen,
High school can be a tough time for the curious student.

Refuges like this forum are great, and we're glad to have you. Smile

Though, I would also advise trying to relate to your peers regardless of how disinterested they are in philosophy or anything else. Don't be afraid to talk baseball (to carry Boagie's example).

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:48 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I think high school in the U.S. serves as a means to beat any remaining intellectual curiosity out of the remaining inquisitive students. Take notes, memorize terms that can be looked up at ease when necessary, and regurgitate for multiple choice tests. Be good little sheep.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hey! Hoping for acceptance
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:15:46