Christians ought to adopt certain Jewish values.

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Christianity
  3. » Christians ought to adopt certain Jewish values.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:35 am
YouTube - The History of The Talmud (1 of 7)

YouTube - The History of The Talmud (2 of 7)

YouTube - The History of The Talmud (3 of 7)

YouTube - The History of The Talmud (4 of 7)

YouTube - The History of The Talmud (5 of 7)

YouTube - The History of The Talmud (6 of 7)

YouTube - The History of The Talmud (7 of 7)

The think Judaism is unique to all religion in the world, and this is mainly due to the notion that pure intellectual activity, study, and academic debate is a form of worship, and being "closer" to the divine. Each word in the Jewish bible is debated, argued, and commented on as if it is a legal document. This is very different from Christianity. All in all, i think Christian ought to adopt the Jewish notion that study is more important than worship, and the method of critical analysis.

By observation, most religion( if not all ) makes people less analytical, and more naive. It is only Judaism that makes people more analytical, willing to challenge authority, and do well at school. From a practical point of view, i think most religion, and spiritual system ought to incorporate this type of intellectualism into their world view. This would make people more smarter, and our society would be more advanced.
 
jgweed
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:50 am
@TuringEquivalent,
It seems many Christian sects pay every bit as much attention to Biblical texts as does Judaism, although not always in the same historical form; both religions, for example, produce endless commentaries. Alas, in both cases, pure intellectual activity is more often than not dogmatically limited to Biblical study, which means it is neither pure nor intellectual.
 
TuringEquivalent
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:13 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;164918 wrote:
It seems many Christian sects pay every bit as much attention to Biblical texts as does Judaism, although not always in the same historical form; both religions, for example, produce endless commentaries. Alas, in both cases, pure intellectual activity is more often than not dogmatically limited to Biblical study, which means it is neither pure nor intellectual.


I don ` t really get the feeling that the Christians are all that smart at all. In contrast, when the Jews worship, they form study partners, and engage in a type of verbal, analytical debate that is not that different from discussing the fine point of a legal document.

If you claim that it is not an intellectual activity, because it is talking about the bible. Why can ` t i say it is not an intellectual activity if it is focus on some particular argument in the philosophy of science. This would obvious be absurd. So, We should not say intellectual activity cannot be from studying the bible. It is very much an intellectual activity if it uses analysis, reason and arguments.
 
Night Ripper
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:45 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;164928 wrote:
I don ` t really get the feeling that the Christians are all that smart at all. In contrast, when the Jews worship, they form study partners, and engage in a type of verbal, analytical debate that is not that different from discussing the fine point of a legal document.

If you claim that it is not an intellectual activity, because it is talking about the bible. Why can ` t i say it is not an intellectual activity if it is focus on some particular argument in the philosophy of science. This would obvious be absurd. So, We should not say intellectual activity cannot be from studying the bible. It is very much an intellectual activity if it uses analysis, reason and arguments.


Using reason and logic with a book of fantasy may give pretty results but the foundation is unstable. It seems more like a characterture of pseudo-intellectualism. They are going through the motions but not really questioning the core beliefs.
 
TuringEquivalent
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:54 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;164949 wrote:
Using reason and logic with a book of fantasy may give pretty results but the foundation is unstable. It seems more like a characterture of pseudo-intellectualism. They are going through the motions but not really questioning the core beliefs.



Sure, but that is true for a lot of things. In math, people rarely question the axioms. In physics, physicists rarely challenge fundamental equations. Most professions don ` t question the fields core belief, but they are surely intellectual. Engineers can work together to find a way to design a system better, and that is surely an intellectual activity. They don ` t need to question why certain equations from physics works. Their job is only to find a solution given certain core beliefs. They don ` t need to question those core beliefs.
 
Night Ripper
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:04 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;164951 wrote:
Sure, but that is true for a lot of things. In math, people rarely question the axioms. In physics, physicists rarely challenge fundamental equations. Most professions don ` t question the fields core belief, but they are surely intellectual.


It sounds like the kind of people you're talking about just crunch numbers or pour chemicals into flasks. I wouldn't call that intellectual insomuch as it's a technical skill. If your job could be replaced by a mostly unthinking robot then I question how intellectual a job that is.

Let me give you an easy way out. I'll agree that Jews have more brain cells active when involved with their religion but I don't see how that's a good thing unless you think it's just some kind of brain exercise. The fact that they are doing so many mental gymnastics to shoe-horn their ancient religion into modern life is probably less healthy.
 
prothero
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:06 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Be that as it may.
There is something remarkable about the Jewish culture, history or religion.
For it has produced a remarkable number of the worlds scientists, writers, doctors, lawyers, scholars, etc.
For their small percentage of the overall population their contributions are worthy of special notice.
 
TuringEquivalent
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:22 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;164953 wrote:
It sounds like the kind of people you're talking about just crunch numbers or pour chemicals into flasks. I wouldn't call that intellectual insomuch as it's a technical skill. If your job could be replaced by a mostly unthinking robot then I question how intellectual a job that is.

Let me give you an easy way out. I'll agree that Jews have more brain cells active when involved with their religion but


Why do i need a way out? It is foolish to think that intellectual activities entail questioning core beliefs. This is not the case. Lawyers/judges are by their profession people that interprets the law. In the process, they would be engaging in some type of debate on different previous cases regarding the law, and the actual law itself as it apply to the current situation. They never question the laws, or the cases themselves.


Quote:
I don't see how that's a good thing unless you think it's just some kind of brain exercise. The fact that they are doing so many mental gymnastics to shoe-horn their ancient religion into modern life is probably less healthy.


Why is it bad to be smart? I am not religious. I see it from a practical point of view. If religious people practice their religion like the jews, then they might actual be more productive to society. These analytical skills can transfer to other fields, and pursuits that benefit society.
 
Night Ripper
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:25 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;164958 wrote:
They never question the laws, or the cases themselves.


That's not true. The laws themselves are often questioned as being unconstitutional.
 
TuringEquivalent
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:30 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;164959 wrote:
That's not true. The laws themselves are often questioned as being unconstitutional.



What if the laws are constitutional laws. If what you say is true, then the constitutional laws would contradict themselves, because the constitutional laws would be unconstitutional.:whistling:
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Christianity
  3. » Christians ought to adopt certain Jewish values.
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 03/24/2019 at 02:07:53