Literal Interpretation of Genesis

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Christianity
  3. » Literal Interpretation of Genesis

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:31 pm
YouTube - Did Darwin Kill God? (1/6) Part 1
YouTube - Did Darwin Kill God? (2/6) Part 2

Do you think it's wrong to take genesis literally or do you think people should take this more metaphorically?

Please watch part 1 and 2 of the series on "Did Darwin Kill God?"

lazymon

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:11 pm
@ikurwa89,
Thanks, this makes me not feel so alone on the stance. My parents still think the bible is all literal. I can't even discuss the bible with my dad as I feel there are deeper more meaningful truths to be gleaned from the stories.

prothero

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 05:04 pm
@ikurwa89,
ikurwa89;156894 wrote:
Do you think it's wrong to take genesis literally or do you think people should take this more metaphorically?
Of course it is wrong to take Genesis literally. the message of chapter one is god creates and creation is good. No more no less. the rest is just an ancient peoples image of how god might have created using their current state of knowledge and understanding. Our scientific story is different but there is still room for the notion that god creates and creation is good.

lazymon

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 07:41 am
@ikurwa89,
During the video there is an interview with a catholic priest. The priest said that the church has always interpreted in a non-literal context, but when I ask practicing catholics in my family what they think of the Eucharist they say it is the actual blood and flesh of Jesus. I guess they can always pick and choose.

prothero

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 09:25 am
@ikurwa89,
Well it is true that the modern Catholic Church accepts the general outlines of both evolution and cosmology. It is not true that this has always been so as Darwin, Galileo and Copernicus (and multitudes of others) could attest to.

Perhaps the Churches biggest problems in the modern day are celibacy, ordination of women, birth control, and right to life issues. The Church is further out of line with its own constituency than is is out of line with modern science. Not a good place to be.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Christianity
  3. » Literal Interpretation of Genesis
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:11:35