Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:16 pm
(Silly little thought)

Was the first evil Eve?

Is why we call it evil because of Eve?

Lily

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:22 pm
@sometime sun,
Don't think so, she's called Eva in Sweden, and our word for evil is "ondska". I'm guessing Eve is an old hebrew word, but I don't remember what it means, though. Evil has probably an other origin..

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:13 pm
@Lily,
Lily;141341 wrote:
Don't think so, she's called Eva in Sweden, and our word for evil is "ondska". I'm guessing Eve is an old hebrew word, but I don't remember what it means, though. Evil has probably an other origin..

Yes. It is Hebrew in origin.
Here's a link to study:
The name Eve: meaning, origin and etymology

Arjuna

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:49 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;141347 wrote:
Yes. It is Hebrew in origin.
Here's a link to study:
The name Eve: meaning, origin and etymology
It says Adam means earthling. That's wild.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:07 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;141339 wrote:
(Silly little thought)

Was the first evil Eve?

Is why we call it evil because of Eve?

It must be, because isn't that true even in Chinese.

Deckard

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 11:15 pm
@kennethamy,
Nah it's all Lilith's fault.

prothero

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 11:55 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;142071 wrote:

Lilith refused to submit and Eve had an affair with the serpent.

Deckard

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:03 am
@prothero,
prothero;142076 wrote:
Lilith refused to submit and Eve had an affair with the serpent.

According to the legend, Lilith was the one who had the affair. Eve was the second wife obedient and faithful. I think that's how the story usually goes at least. I think the legend was invented mostly to explain nocturnal emissions with Lilith starring as the dreamworld temptress.

prothero

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:14 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;142078 wrote:
According to the legend, Lilith was the one who had the affair. Eve was the second wife obedient and faithful. I think that's how the story usually goes at least. I think the legend was invented mostly to explain nocturnal emissions with Lilith starring as the dreamworld temptress.
Lilith Bye (lullybye) and good night several version of the legend.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:16 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;142078 wrote:

Since Christianity did not exist, I am sure Lilith would have had children. I can imagion Eve eating them, not the Father Adam. Eve was al-so crap in selecting fruit. Everybody notices sour apples up-set your stomack; ripe ones with lots of (added) sugars make a nice cider. Drinks !

I think Eve ...

Pepijn S:haha:H:bigsmile:

HexHammer

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 06:10 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;142071 wrote:
Which fault did she have, other than just wanna be equal to Adam, since they were made of the same clay?

Besides, wouldn't you be quite upset with being treated unjust and getting discriminated?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 06:37 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142153 wrote:
Which fault did she have, other than just wanna be equal to Adam, since they were made of the same clay?

:bigsmile:Every potter knows his clay. You want it elastic to shape & you want it with some sand to make it stronger creating his Work Kmet (Egyptian) probably swept together the left-overs, put them in a basquette, added some water and let nature form new clay.

This story was also told by Thot to Hermes when he visited Thot's dwellings in Southern Egypt. Hermes passed on these stories.

I have now ID who was made first. Does it matter ? We all burn to the same ashes in the End.

Pepijn Sweep's Floors (house-keeper):whistling:

Deckard

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:27 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142153 wrote:

Besides, wouldn't you be quite upset with being treated unjust and getting discriminated?

Actually I'm being very facetious. Lilith was a legend made up by scared old men who demonized female sexuality. Eve and the serpent less so but still very much so.

I sometimes wonder if there is some cuckolded husband at the root of the story of Eve and the Serpent. I've had my girlfriend stolen once so I feel for Adam but then I didn't take her back and I didn't blame her for the fall of humankind but it did ruin my personal paradise for a while. I've been a minor serpent once or twice too but really to lesser extent; I just can't deal with that kind of guilt; betraying the brotherhood and all, and I just can't stand love triangles. They are ubiquitous in literature and myth for a reason. This is all speculation of course but I mean it to be taken somewhat seriously. There is a sort of love triangle between Adam Eve and the Serpent.

Lilith makes it an easier to deal with rectangle.

Eve sort of broke Adams heart I suppose. But the roles could easily have been reversed. There are plenty of female serpents out there and plenty of less than faithful and easily seduced men.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:40 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;142457 wrote:
Actually I'm being very facetious. Lilith was a legend made up by scared old men who demonized female sexuality. Eve and the serpent less so but still very much so.

I sometimes wonder if there is some cuckolded husband at the root of the story of Eve and the Serpent. I've had my girlfriend stolen once so I feel for Adam but then I didn't take her back and I didn't blame her for the fall of humankind but it did ruin my personal paradise for a while. I've been a minor serpent once or twice too but really to lesser extent; I just can't deal with that kind of guilt; betraying the brotherhood and all, and I just can't stand love triangles. They are ubiquitous in literature and myth for a reason. This is all speculation of course but I mean it to be taken somewhat seriously. There is a sort of love triangle between Adam Eve and the Serpent.

Eve sort of broke Adams heart I suppose. But the roles could easily have been reversed. There are plenty of female serpents out there and plenty of less than faithful and easily seduced men.

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
I am glad my very grand mother gave my very great father this fermented apple. If not 4 her we would be living in a nudist eden, without this Forum with 77 chase Virgins and no sex at all. Or drinks...Sin is Fun; mind your Neighbours !

Pepijn Sweep'sLaughing
[/CENTER]

HexHammer

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:42 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;142457 wrote:

Uhmmm ..it was because of the serpent that lured the naive Even to tempt Adam with the apple, that we now are intelligent, wise and knowledgeable! People just think Adam and the serpent was evil, because they'r not very bright, naive and stupid ..filled with group think!

Deckard

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 01:10 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142464 wrote:
Uhmmm ..it was because of the serpent that lured the naive Even to tempt Adam with the apple, that we now are intelligent, wise and knowledgeable! People just think Adam and the serpent was evil, because they'r not very bright, naive and stupid ..filled with group think!

Wasn't much of a group at that moment; it was either Adam and Eve or Sepent and Eve. The choices are equal if the deciding criteria is how many persons are involved.

Besides, thinking is not an end in itself. Even the mission of Bacon's Great Instauration was to return to Eden. We are thinking our way back to Eden but perhaps at a higher level if we ever get there...aye there's the rub.

These things said, I often side with gnostic readings of the story. Still, maybe it's just not that simple - not so simple as the stupid vs. the knowledgable. It was only the knowledge of good and evil that they gained at the price of innocence. They had knowledge of other things already, perhaps they knew everything except that one thing: the difference between good and evil. What did we really gain by eating the forbidden fruit?

It's a great old myth and it will be pondered over for ages to come.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 01:21 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;142478 wrote:
Wasn't much of a group at that moment; it was either Adam and Eve or Sepent and Eve. The choices are equal if the deciding criteria is how many persons are involved.

Besides, thinking is not an end in itself. Even the mission of Bacon's Great Instauration was to return to Eden. We are thinking our way back to Eden but perhaps at a higher level if we ever get there...aye there's the rub.

These things said, I often side with gnostic readings of the story. Still, maybe it's just not that simple - not so simple as the stupid vs. the knowledgable. It's a great old myth and it will be pondered over for ages to come.

Ponder some cents. more. In 17th translation of Biblia in "standard" Dutch translation they mention man, woman and man-nin. I can't find the right boox, must be Exodus or something. I think it was when Mozes travelled South... How is this in American Bibles ? Censured ?

One Q. more before pondering away from US. Why doesn't a bible has an index ?

Kind regards,
etc. Pepijn Sweep's floors
:whistling::whistling:

wayne

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 02:03 am
@sometime sun,
"He who made kittens put snakes in the grass" Ian Anderson

HexHammer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:29 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;142478 wrote:
You misunderstand the term "group think" it's a psycology term which makes us react upon thing which a group of people will subconsiously decide for you, read up upon it, it will help you understand alot of things. It will deliver you from ignorence.

Deckard

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 11:08 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;142501 wrote:
You misunderstand the term "group think" it's a psycology term which makes us react upon thing which a group of people will subconsiously decide for you, read up upon it, it will help you understand alot of things. It will deliver you from ignorence.

I did not misunderstand. I know what group think is. I guess you were using the term to refer to people who assume that Adam was good and the serpent was evil rather than as something that influenced Eve's decision. I was interpreting while you were meta-interpreting. Personally, I think my interpretation of the Garden of Eden story is quite nuanced and creative and hardly the product of group think. In any case, I am not ignorant, at least not on that count.

It seems like you've gone on the attack or maybe that's just the way you always post. Did I offend you somehow?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:54:07