Matthew 7:6

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:41 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;133854 wrote:
To me this verse means that a human hypothetical dog listed to the gospel ignores it and immediately returns to his old depraved ways.The pig listens to the Gospels absorbers it and mixes the whole lot in earthly depravity

What about the killing part? Doesn't the advice end with the pigs and dogs will eventually kill you? I'm pretty sure his statement was referring to unbelievers.

The funny part that I see is that it considers Christianity to be the wisdom that is getting abused, when I can find absolutely no wisdom in it. Not to mention Christianity didn't exist at the time the statement was made so therefore it must have been referring to some other "wisdom".

Or does it mean wisdom in general? That any time you have something worth saying, dogs and pigs will show up to kill you because the dog and the pig don't want to hear the truth?

So I say, I have even a better saying. There are no dogs, there are no pigs, just a bunch of people that have no idea what they are doing. Grasping at straws, they are the last who should be picking up the swords.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:46 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;133925 wrote:

The funny part that I see is that it considers Christianity to be the wisdom that is getting abused, when I can find absolutely no wisdom in it.

I admit that the cross has looked more like a swastika, as far as history goes. But there is an esoteric wisdom in Christianity. It's just obscured by centuries of idolatry, misinterpretation, & exploitation. God doesn't exist except as man's ideal, but this ideal is potent if clarified.

prothero

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:04 am
@Deckard,
[QUOTE=Deckard;111502]Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
KJV
What type of person is a dog? What type of person is a pig?[/QUOTE]
A lot of interesting interpretations. That is one of the interesting things about metaphors.
The interpretation I was given was not too charitable.
Jesus was not too interested in the universal appeal of his message, his intention was to reform the Jewish temple and bring his people (the jews) back to god to spirituality and social justice in the manner of the ancient propherts.
His message was not for the Romans (swine, Jews did not eat pork,romans do) or other religious sects (Samaritans, etc.) dogs.
There are several times in scripture where Jesus initially rejects and then accepts non Jewish supplicants.
I suppose another interpretation is about not ministering or preaching to the unworthy, and the Gnostic notion of secret knowledge imparted only to the initiate.

Much scripture is fairly cryptic and subject to multiple interpretations, it can be fun if not taken too seriously.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 06:30:22