Creation vs Evolution

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 04:27 pm
@xris,
xris;110326 wrote:
You have assumed this singular identity, I feel free to say creation without mentioning a creator. Nature creates without a defined definition. Nature exists, its the force that evolves and urges life to succeed. It created life in my opinion. I dont see a conscious being as we imagine consciousness but i wont deny there might be some other consciousness, just because I cant find it, comprehend it.

Respectfully, "Nature" is itself a singular identity. But I'm the first to admit that the language we are forced to use is full of traps.

Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 07:01 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110242 wrote:
But evolution is not about the start of life. Isn't that true? I don't care much about whether creationism is about diversity.
Then why are you posting in this thread? The thread is predicated on the fact that creation and evolution at some level are incompatible with one another. The incompatibilities are different to creationists than they are to evolutionists. So if you are going to meaningfully comment on the topic in this thread, then "not caring much" about what creationism is about is neglecting the whole topic in the thread.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 07:55 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;110046 wrote:
While this debate is often framed the way you have, only creationists argue as if there is some kind of direct debate between the two. Evolution advocates aren't "dismissing" creation as a cultural story of great importance. But it MUST be dismissed as a natural story of earth and its inhabitants absent empirical evidence -- and this is the sole domain in which evolutionary biology makes its arguments.

This matter of evidence - if there were to be evidence for 'intelligent design', what would it consist of? Scientists often say that there is 'no evidence' of a higher being or the like. So what would you look for?

Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:10 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;110398 wrote:
This matter of evidence - if there were to be evidence for 'intelligent design', what would it consist of? Scientists often say that there is 'no evidence' of a higher being or the like. So what would you look for?
Hold "intelligent design" to the same standard of empirical, standardized, repeatable, mutually-agreed upon evidence as anything else in science.

Pick something that we generally can easily agree upon in evolutionary science: there are fossilized skeletons of extinct creatures, and these skeletons are found in rock strata of varying age. In newer rocks, there are fossils of creatures that bear a closer resemblance to living species than the creatures found in older rock.

Pretty simple. And if you query the age of rocks, we can all look at that and see the same thing. How do we know old from new rock? Well, radioisotope dating is an extremely reliable way, like potassium-argon dating, and we can all agree on the radiodecay of these isotopes by observing them under laboratory conditions.

That's all circumstantial, of course, but it tells a story.

Now where is the testimonial of an intelligent designer that we can all directly see? The rock tells us that there is a fossil there. It does not tell us that an intelligent being designed that fossil. There is no "discovery" that can tell us that.

We all agree that the universe is complicated. That does not prove or demonstrate one way or another that it was intelligently designed.

What do we know about "intelligent designers?" Our only example of that is humans. We can observe one another designing things. We can observe one another building things. We can identify ourselves. We can communicate complex concepts.

So for there to be evidence of an intelligent designer, we would need some comparable sort of evidence. It would have to be a revelation.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:04 pm
@Locke phil,
But I think this indicates a misconception of the subject matter. Looking for evidence on this level would require that the 'creator' be one amongst the objects of creation - an actor, or doer, that does things and creates things, somewhat like us, as you say. So what would you be looking for? Fingerprints and footprints? 'Signs' of some kind? I suppose this is the kind of thing creationists have encouraged, which is why I believe their understanding of the question is confused, and has confused many others.

The following is from an essay on the important distinction between the Intelligent Design movement and orthodox theology. It talks about the Catholic notion of 'creation ex nhilo' and addresses the difference between 'creation' and 'natural change' (where natural change can be understood as the domain of the biological sciences.)

Quote:
..the Christian conception of God as the author of all truth and the notion that the aim of scientific research is the truth indicates that there can be no fundamental incompatibility between the two. Provided we understand Christian doctrine properly and do our science well, we will find the truth-not a religious truth and another scientific truth-but the truth, the way things actually exist and function. Yet, what about the apparent conflict between notion of creation from nothing and the scientific principle that for every natural motion or state there is an antecedent motion or state?

Thomas points out that the judgment that there is a conflict here results from confusion regarding the nature of creation and natural change. It is an error that I call the "Cosmogonical Fallacy." Those who are worried about conflict between faith and reason on this issue fail to distinguish between cause in the sense of a natural change of some kind and cause in the sense of an ultimate bringing into being of something from no antecedent state whatsoever. "Creatio non est mutatio," says Thomas, affirming that the act of creation is not some species of change. So, the Greek natural philosophers were quite correct: from nothing, nothing comes. By "comes" here is meant a change from one state to another and this requires some underlying material reality, some potentiality for the new state to come into being. This is because all change arises out of a pre-existing possibility for that change residing in something.

Creation, on the other hand, is the radical causing of the whole existence of whatever exists. To be the complete cause of something's existence is not the same as producing a change in something. It is not a taking of something and making it into something else, as if there were some primordial matter which God had to use to create the universe. Rather, creation is the result of the divine agency being totally responsible for the production, all at once and completely, of the whole of the universe, with all it entities and all its operations, from absolutely nothing pre-existing.

Strictly speaking, points out Thomas, the Creator does not create something out of nothing in the sense of taking some nothing and making something out of it. This is a conceptual mistake, for it treats nothing as a something. On the contrary, the Christian doctrine of creation ex nihilo claims that God made the universe without making it out of anything. In other words, anything left entirely to itself, completely separated from the cause of its existence, would not exist-it would be absolutely nothing. The ultimate cause of the existence of anything and everything is God who creates, not out of some nothing, but from nothing at all.
Emphasis added.

This is why a Catholic - and I do not write as a Catholic, or to advocate Catholicism, but only to explain the philosophical point - does not see 'the evidence of God's handiwork' in this or that particular aspect of existence, but the fact of anything existing whatever. This sentiment will be echoed in different ways by any religious believer. It is a different mode of understanding to the scientific one, not, as many scientists seem to think, the same mode, missapplied.

So, whether you believe it or not, you better be clear about what you're actually denying. Because from the perspective of a spiritually-inclined agnostic, I have to say that the current scientific cosmology looks awfully like creation ex nihilo to me.

---------- Post added 12-12-2009 at 03:33 PM ----------

P.S. 'Thomas' in the above is of course Thomas Aquinas.

Aedes

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:28 pm
@Locke phil,
I understand, jeeprs.

My whole point is that an intelligent designer simply cannot ever be demonstrated in a way that meets scientific epistemological standards.

One often sees the argument along the lines of 'if this watch is complex and created by man's intelligent design, then the infinitely complex universe MUST have been created by an infinitely intelligent designer.

But that is not necessarily true in logical terms or even by analogy.

So the question in the end is what on earth would make us believe in ID other than religious leanings? It has no basis in either observation or experience, and precious little basis in logic.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:11 am
@Locke phil,
As I think you have acknowledged, the argument I have provided does not support ID either. The OP was about 'creation and evolution'. It is interesting, and significant, that this must be taken to involve intelligent design. The ID argument you have quoted is very similar to the main argument in the God Delusion, but it is based on a misreprentation of theology and a misconception of the nature of Deity. It is kind of like 'well, if there is a God, he must be like this, based on what we understand'.

I think all I am ever interested in establishing in all of these debates is a sense of space, a sense of possibility, and also an accurate depiction, to the best of my knoweldge, of what the religious side of the argument actually consists of.

Perhaps we can find some common ground in Gould's idea of non-overlapping magisteria.

prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:37 am
@Aedes,
[QUOTE=Aedes;110445] My whole point is that an intelligent designer simply cannot ever be demonstrated in a way that meets scientific epistemological standards. [/QUOTE] Your mind, your thoughts, the causal efficiency of your will (assuming you think you have free will) likewise can not be demonstrated in a way that meets scientific epistemological standards. Science inherently addresses only the material aspects of reality which in the view of anyone with religious sentiment means science gives only a partial and incomplete view or accounting of reality "total experience".

[QUOTE=Aedes;110445] One often sees the argument along the lines of 'if this watch is complex and created by man's intelligent design, then the infinitely complex universe MUST have been created by an infinitely intelligent designer. [/QUOTE] The world is also rationally intelligible and expressible in terms of mathematical equations. Even Einstein spoke of the wise old man or the intelligence inherent in the universe. The question of a "personal" god or of a god who acts by "supernatural" means is a different question.

[QUOTE=Aedes;110445] But that is not necessarily true in logical terms or even by analogy. [/QUOTE] And it is not excluded either. To those only interested in the material or objective aspects or qualities of reality god is an unnecessary hypothesis. It is in seeking deeper meaning and purpose to existence that one makes the "leap of faith" beyond direct material objective experience. It is both pragmatic and rational.

[QUOTE=Aedes;110445] So the question in the end is what on earth would make us believe in ID other than religious leanings? It has no basis in either observation or experience, and precious little basis in logic. [/QUOTE] I disagree it is an almost universal and timeless conception (one could say conviction) of human experience, a rational explanation of the inherent logic, order and intelligibility of nature; and compatible with our most basic observations and intuitions when confronted with the aesthetic beauty of nature.

There are some conceptions of the nature of god and of divine action that are incompatible with a modern worldview and modern science but there are many that are not. It is vastly overstating the case to claim that beliefs in all conceptions of god are illogical or irrational even if to you they seem scientifically unnecessary.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:39 am
@Locke phil,
thank heavens for the cavalry...:bigsmile:

prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:45 am
@Locke phil,
The "origin of the species" would seem to have something to say about the "origins of life" as well. God creates is the fundamental theistic argument. How god creates is open to interpretation. The notion that god creates through nature and the process of evolution is entirely compatible with many forms of theism.

Creation (through evolution) is an ongoing process not a completed act. The universe is engaged in continous creative advance, formation of value and novelty. The ideal becoming the "real". The possible becoming the "actual". Where is god in this. The realm of the ideal and the possible, the ground of being (becoming). If you like Plato, forms.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:58 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;110364 wrote:
Then why are you posting in this thread? The thread is predicated on the fact that creation and evolution at some level are incompatible with one another. The incompatibilities are different to creationists than they are to evolutionists. So if you are going to meaningfully comment on the topic in this thread, then "not caring much" about what creationism is about is neglecting the whole topic in the thread.

I don't understand your question. You mean that I cannot point out the evolution/creationism issue is a pseudo-problem, since they are not in real dispute? Creationism is mostly a thesis about the creation of life. Evolution is not. So they are not in important conflict. Why is it inappropriate to say that on this thread?

It has often happened in the history of philosophy that an apparent conflict between two theories turns out to be a pseudo-conflict. And in science too. Why dispute endlessly about what there is no dispute?

Aedes

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 09:41 am
@prothero,
prothero;110457 wrote:
Your mind, your thoughts, the causal efficiency of your will (assuming you think you have free will) likewise can not be demonstrated in a way that meets scientific epistemological standards.
But the existence of intelligent humans can EASILY be demonstrated scientifically.

[QUOTE=prothero;110457]The world is also rationally intelligible and expressible in terms of mathematical equations.[/QUOTE]How's that working out for string theorists?

Godel did a pretty admirable job showing that even math taken in isolation is rational. Math applied to the world is yet less rational.

[QUOTE=prothero;110457]Even Einstein spoke of the wise old man or the intelligence inherent in the universe.[/QUOTE]Yeah, but Einstein was a physicist. He's known for his physics and not his metaphysical speculation, and he was no more omniscient than the rest of us.

[QUOTE=prothero;110457]And it is not excluded either.[/QUOTE]Neither is the flying spaghetti monster or the tooth fairy. So are we to believe in something just because it's not excluded??

[QUOTE=prothero;110457]I disagree it is an almost universal and timeless conception (one could say conviction) of human experience[/QUOTE]Fear, hunger, pain, and love are also universal parts of human experience, and none of them are rational.

[QUOTE=prothero;110457]It is vastly overstating the case to claim that beliefs in all conceptions of god are illogical or irrational even if to you they seem scientifically unnecessary.[/QUOTE]But this isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about epistemology. Our conclusions about the physical world are usually based in scientific epistemology. Maybe it's not irrational or illogical to have a conception of God, but it doesn't meet the same evidentiary standards by which we believe in trees or rodents.

---------- Post added 12-12-2009 at 11:03 AM ----------

prothero;110460 wrote:
The "origin of the species" would seem to have something to say about the "origins of life" as well.
But it doesn't. Even the very word species directly means specific, a kind of life. Not all life. Darwin didn't write "On the Origin of Life on Earth".

---------- Post added 12-12-2009 at 11:06 AM ----------

kennethamy;110479 wrote:
I don't understand your question. You mean that I cannot point out the evolution/creationism issue is a pseudo-problem, since they are not in real dispute?
As is your habit, you're completely misreading my post and putting words in my mouth. That's neither what I said nor what I meant.

There is a CULTURAL debate between evolution and creation. There is no SCIENTIFIC debate between the two. There is variably a THEOLOGICAL debate between the two, depending on whether you take creation stories literally or not and which natural processes you ascribe to God's agency.

To say you don't care about creationism's conception of this or that may be legitimate in a discussion of the PROCESS of evolution. But it's not a legitimate contribution to a discussion about how we come to believe things.

kennethamy;110479 wrote:
Creationism is mostly a thesis about the creation of life. Evolution is not. So they are not in important conflict. Why is it inappropriate to say that on this thread?

It has often happened in the history of philosophy that an apparent conflict between two theories turns out to be a pseudo-conflict. And in science too. Why dispute endlessly about what there is no dispute?
All this is true. And in fact it's fairly similar to what I said in my very first post in this thread. What was inappropriate to say is what I SAID was inappropriate when I made that comment.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:31 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;110523 wrote:
But the existence of intelligent humans can EASILY be demonstrated scientifically.

How's that working out for string theorists?

Godel did a pretty admirable job showing that even math taken in isolation is rational. Math applied to the world is yet less rational.

Yeah, but Einstein was a physicist. He's known for his physics and not his metaphysical speculation, and he was no more omniscient than the rest of us.

Neither is the flying spaghetti monster or the tooth fairy. So are we to believe in something just because it's not excluded??

Fear, hunger, pain, and love are also universal parts of human experience, and none of them are rational.

But this isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about epistemology. Our conclusions about the physical world are usually based in scientific epistemology. Maybe it's not irrational or illogical to have a conception of God, but it doesn't meet the same evidentiary standards by which we believe in trees or rodents.

---------- Post added 12-12-2009 at 11:03 AM ----------

But it doesn't. Even the very word species directly means specific, a kind of life. Not all life. Darwin didn't write "On the Origin of Life on Earth".

---------- Post added 12-12-2009 at 11:06 AM ----------

As is your habit, you're completely misreading my post and putting words in my mouth. That's neither what I said nor what I meant.

There is a CULTURAL debate between evolution and creation. There is no SCIENTIFIC debate between the two. There is variably a THEOLOGICAL debate between the two, depending on whether you take creation stories literally or not and which natural processes you ascribe to God's agency.

To say you don't care about creationism's conception of this or that may be legitimate in a discussion of the PROCESS of evolution. But it's not a legitimate contribution to a discussion about how we come to believe things.

All this is true. And in fact it's fairly similar to what I said in my very first post in this thread. What was inappropriate to say is what I SAID was inappropriate when I made that comment.

Lots of people believe there is a scientific debate between evolutionists and creationists, including the participants. If, in fact, they are not debating the about the same thing, then it is a pseudo-debate. So, you and I agree. And we are having a pseudo-dispute. The matter of the "legitimacy" of a particular post is a natter if opinion. But I must say that I still do not understand your objection.

Emil

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:46 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110116 wrote:
Am I mistaken in thinking that evolution explains the diversity of life, and not the creation of life?

No. The creation of life lies outside of what is explained by evolution. The field that tries to explain that is called abiogenesis.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 10:54 am
@Emil,
Emil;110540 wrote:
No. The creation of life lies outside of what is explained by evolution. The field that tries to explain that is called abiogenesis.

So the dispute between C. and E. is a pseudo-dispute?

Zetherin

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110542 wrote:
So the dispute between C. and E. is a pseudo-dispute?

Not necessarily, according to what I've been thinking. As the creationist could simply dispute that evolution was the way in which humans came to be. They could say that, instead of genetic change over time, God directly created humans (in his own image and likeness). This, I think, would not be a psuedo-dispute.

I think creationism not only tries to explain the origins of life, but also the origins of human life. And the latter may fly in the face of evolution, as evolution postulates that humans descended from primates. Creationism postulates that humans came to be from a supernatural occurrence (God). At least, this is how I remember it being taught to me when I attended Christian school.

prothero

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:08 am
@Locke phil,
The notion of creation is not the same as creationism.
Creationism has come to mean a particular method of creation, 7 days, 6000 years, fixed species, miraculous intervention, ect.

The notion of evolution (change in species over time) is different than asserting that evolution is ultimately a blind, indifferent purposeless process.

Is there a dispute between evolution and creationism, yes. Is it a scientific dispute, no, because creationism really is not a scientfic theory, it is a culture war.

Is there a dispute between Dawkins presentation of evolution and the theistic notion of creation, yes, because dawkins insists the process is blind indifference.

Is there an inherent dispute between evolution a scientific theory and creation a theistic notion. No because they are really talking about different things and in many ways compatible things.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:08 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110545 wrote:
Not necessarily, according to what I've been thinking. As the creationist could simply dispute that evolution was the way in which humans came to be. They could say that, instead of genetic change over time, God directly created humans (in his own image and likeness). This, I think, would not be a psuedo-dispute.

Yes. It depends on what the doctrine of Creationism is about. If it is just an explanation of how life came about, then there is no dispute. But, if it is more than that (as you say) then, of course, in that respect of special creation, there is dispute. The trouble is that Creationism is mostly not a theory. It a mostly the denial of a theory, along with the implication that some other theory must be true. But just what that theory is, is unclear. Its vagueness makes it difficult to criticize it.

Zetherin

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110547 wrote:
Yes. It depends on what the doctrine of Creationism is about. If it is just an explanation of how life came about, then there is no dispute. But, if it is more than that (as you say) then, of course, in that respect of special creation, there is dispute. The trouble is that Creationism is mostly not a theory. It a mostly the denial of a theory, along with the implication that some other theory must be true. But just what that theory is, is unclear. Its vagueness makes it difficult to criticize it.

I'm not sure what is vague about it, unless you are pointing out that God creating anything is vague. Otherwise, it appears to be very clear to me: God created the universe. At least, this is what I think the Christian version entails.

I added more in my last post, sorry for not typing fast enough.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 11:39 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110549 wrote:
I'm not sure what is vague about it, unless you are pointing out that God creating anything is vague. Otherwise, it appears to be very clear to me: God created the universe. At least, this is what I think the Christian version entails.

I added more in my last post, sorry for not typing fast enough.

Yes, but with as few details as possible. Creationists spend their time trying to pick holes in evolution, without plugging any in their own theory, with the background argument that either evolution is true, or creationism is true, but since evolution is not true (because of their criticisms), it follows that Creationism is true. Of course, both premises are dubious.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:28:39