The Physical Effects Of Church And Sacrament.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Christianity
  3. » The Physical Effects Of Church And Sacrament.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

No0ne

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 03:32 pm
Statement #1. Every six rotations of the earth a large population of America gathers for what they call "Church", by doing such the surrounding areas encounter a high absence of humans with specific personalities, morals, ethics, and beliefs.

Questions pertaining to the above statement,

1.What effects if any would such an absence create in the surrounding areas?
2.What difference would there be if the absence was during the evening?
3.What difference would there be if the absence was during the night?
4. Localy speaking, are the effects on the surrounding areas justifyed by the acts commited at the church? (why, and why not)

Statement #2. Every six rotations of the earth a large population of America partakes in a ritual which they call "sacrament". By doing such, America as a whole consumes a vastly large amount of bread in churches to physically carry out this ritual.

1. Can the ritual be done without the physical consumption of bread?
2. Can that bread be used to do more good, other than to be consumed by the church? (How or Why Not)
3. Is the act of physically carrying out the ritual selfish, from the perspective of one that seeks to help those in need? (Why or Why Not)
4. Is the act of physically carrying out the ritual ethically wrong, from the perspective of one that seeks to help those in need? (Why or Why Not)

Kroni

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 05:54 pm
@No0ne,
I'm not sure I see what you're getting at... Are you trying to show that the course of history would be vastly different if the large number of people who attend church had decided not to? I would say that's probably true, but it doesn't leave too much room for further discussion. Of course if people did one thing instead of another there would be different outcomes. If people decided not to watch tv or go to work the world would be a very different place.
To try to answer your question the best I can, I'd imagine people would either A. Sleep in B. Be out and about town or work, causing more consumer/business interaction, or C. Just hanging out with friends or family at home. People would have met different people throughout the course of their lives and people may exist that didn't before or not exist that did before.

To address that part of your question about the morality of sacrament, I don't see how it harms anyone. People have a right to find self-happiness, regardless of dependent variables that will change the outcomes of daily social interaction. It's not like we can know what the outcomes of every scenario would be like.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 07:51 am
@Kroni,
No0ne;101337 wrote:
Statement #1. Every six rotations of the earth a large population of America gathers for what they call "Church", by doing such the surrounding areas encounter a high absence of humans with specific personalities, morals, ethics, and beliefs.

1.What effects if any would such an absence create in the surrounding areas?
2.What difference would there be if the absence was during the evening?
3.What difference would there be if the absence was during the night?
4. Localy speaking, are the effects on the surrounding areas justifyed by the acts commited at the church? (why, and why not)

It's impossible to say. There are far too many variables at play to make a meaningful, generalized statement. Don't you think? Variations in religious rites of the peculiar denominations, the uniqueness of individual members of a given congregation, ect.

No0ne;101337 wrote:
Statement #2. Every six rotations of the earth a large population of America partakes in a ritual which they call "sacrament". By doing such, America as a whole consumes a vastly large amount of bread in churches to physically carry out this ritual.

1. Can the ritual be done without the physical consumption of bread?

No. If you remove the bread you have a different ritual. Of course, people could always invent new rituals, or rely on other, non-bread consuming rituals.

[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
No0ne;101337 wrote:
2. Can that bread be used to do more good, other than to be consumed by the church? (How or Why Not)

I don't see how. The alternative to the church goers eating the bread is that some other human eats the bread. Either way, human beings are consuming the bread. Besides, the whole idea behind the ritual of communion is to bring people closer to God, which, ideally, aids them in being kinder, more compassionate people - thus, if communion were eradicated as a ritual, one would have to calculate the loss of loving-kindness practice and the impact thereof.

[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
No0ne;101337 wrote:
3. Is the act of physically carrying out the ritual selfish, from the perspective of one that seeks to help those in need? (Why or Why Not)

I'm not sure we can give an answer to this question that is accurate. Isn't it more likely that instead of yes/no the answer depends entirely upon the individual partaking in communion?

[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
No0ne;101337 wrote:
4. Is the act of physically carrying out the ritual ethically wrong, from the perspective of one that seeks to help those in need? (Why or Why Not)

Necessarily, I don't see how it could be immoral. Again, the purpose of the ritual must be considered and weighed: and that is to help participants cultivate loving kindness. Recall that a common practice of communion is to shake hands with those around you and bless them with peace. When these rituals are practiced routinely and honestly, they help people cultivate loving kindness toward all people, which is morally good.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Christianity
  3. » The Physical Effects Of Church And Sacrament.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:18:30