Was Jesus historical?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Resha Caner

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:17 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I dont think i have to prove a negative in the case of Jesus , i just await the evidence that can prove his existance in credible historic terms.

And those terms are? Do you make the same demand as hue-man to produce either contemporary artefacts or documents? I can do that by pointing to the Gospels and Epistles, but you will reject those documents. So, I ask on what ground you make that rejection. It is the reason for my question about Paul.

xris wrote:
Im not doubting Paul as a historical figure in fact its not my concern.

Alright, why don't you doubt Paul's existence? Because we have the letters he wrote? You do realize the documents we have are copies, not the originals (which is the case with many "contemporary" documents for other historical figures). "Historical evidence" - especially for ancient history - is riddled with leaps of faith. But, it's nice that you're not going to play "absolute skeptic" with me.

So, what about Paul's companions: Barnabus, John Mark, and Luke. Are they historical?

hue-man

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:12 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
And one of this ammounts to a convincing argument:
With respect to historians: Jesus is not worth mentioning until his cult gains status. You mention the many other supposed Messiahs of the period; why would historians mention Jesus when there are so many others apparently just like him? No reason to. Instead, historians pick up on the figure Jesus once his Apostles have turned the cult into a serious religious movement. The Apostles did know the man. For example, we know St. Peter lived and was crucified. And there are other Apostles as well who are historically sound who testified to the existence of the man.

How is a man that was supposedly called the king of the Jews, and reportedly ordered to be killed by Pontius Pilote not worth mentioning? He's not even in Pontius Pilote's records!

What evidence to you have for the historicity of St. Peter? Some believe that the myth of St. Peter was used to support the authority of the catholic church.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Which was that Jesus is so highly exalted by society that his historical non-existence is difficult to bear. I find it hard to believe that a man such a Daniel Dennett, a world famous atheist philosopher, would accept Jesus' historical existence because of the weight of societal pressure, especially given the fact that many Christians have denied the historical existence of Jesus, a theory popular prior to the turn of the century when societal pressure to assent to the historical existence of Jesus was much more significant than in today's society, the society that plays on the esteemed atheist Mr. Dennett.

Didymos, I did not say that Dennett accepts Jesus' historicity because of societal pressure. I'm saying that he probably accepts it from because of societal influence, the same reason why all of the ancient polytheists believed that there Gods were historical.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Is it possible that Jesus never historically existed? You bet! I'd never argue otherwise. The point, however, is that the most reasonable conclusion, given the evidence, is that a man named Jesus did live and taught. What he taught, the details of his life: these are all, historically, unknown.

Well, I'm not saying that Jesus wasn't historical. I am saying that there is no reason to believe that he was historical because there is no real evidence other than hearsay. The "evidence" for his existence is no different from the "evidence" of Horus' historicity, or Hercules' historicity. It is no more reasonable to believe in his historicty than it is to believe in the historicity of other messiah Gods.

xris

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:45 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
And those terms are? Do you make the same demand as hue-man to produce either contemporary artefacts or documents? I can do that by pointing to the Gospels and Epistles, but you will reject those documents. So, I ask on what ground you make that rejection. It is the reason for my question about Paul.

Alright, why don't you doubt Paul's existence? Because we have the letters he wrote? You do realize the documents we have are copies, not the originals (which is the case with many "contemporary" documents for other historical figures). "Historical evidence" - especially for ancient history - is riddled with leaps of faith. But, it's nice that you're not going to play "absolute skeptic" with me.

So, what about Paul's companions: Barnabus, John Mark, and Luke. Are they historical?
I discount them because they are not historical evidence ,its those that i am questioning..they are circumstantial, so is Paul.. they could be part of the mythology ..When a christian i really believed he was historically proven, it was part of my anti- epiphany finding him a myth with a good message.

Resha Caner

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:09 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
I discount them because they are not historical evidence

I guess we're done, then. You discount them without reason is what you're really saying. I asked if your definition of "historical evidence" matched that of hue-man, and I can't proceed unless you answer. If you give no definition, your terms have no meaning.

I will say thanks to hue-man for offering up a definition. It was more restrictive than what most professors of ancient history use, but I was willing to work it for the sake of this particular discussion. As a side note, I did find it very interesting that when I pulled keywords from that definition to do some searches (searches that didn't include Jesus' name), I got website after website using those terms in debates over Jesus' existence, but no one else. Further, I got zero hits, yes, zero, from accredited historical journals. Take that for what it's worth.

xris

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:25 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
I guess we're done, then. You discount them without reason is what you're really saying. I asked if your definition of "historical evidence" matched that of hue-man, and I can't proceed unless you answer. If you give no definition, your terms have no meaning.

I will say thanks to hue-man for offering up a definition. It was more restrictive than what most professors of ancient history use, but I was willing to work it for the sake of this particular discussion. As a side note, I did find it very interesting that when I pulled keywords from that definition to do some searches (searches that didn't include Jesus' name), I got website after website using those terms in debates over Jesus' existence, but no one else. Further, I got zero hits, yes, zero, from accredited historical journals. Take that for what it's worth.
If you wish to withdraw , so be it , but historical evidence is not an alien concept. I understand your problem..really..

Resha Caner

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:35 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
If you wish to withdraw , so be it , but historical evidence is not an alien concept. I understand your problem..really..

The decision is yours whether this continues. All you have to say is, yes, I agree with hue-man's definition of historical evidence, or no I define it differently (and then give that definition). That's all I asked.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:24 pm
@Resha Caner,
hue-man wrote:
How is a man that was supposedly called the king of the Jews, and reportedly ordered to be killed by Pontius Pilote not worth mentioning? He's not even in Pontius Pilote's records!

What evidence to you have for the historicity of St. Peter? Some believe that the myth of St. Peter was used to support the authority of the catholic church.

Looks like Reshna Caner knows more about the matter than I, so I'll let him handle your questions. However, my gut is that Jesus is not, from the perspective of the chroniclers, not worth mentioning because, as you point out, there were so many others apparently like Jesus at the time.

hue-man wrote:
Didymos, I did not say that Dennett accepts Jesus' historicity because of societal pressure. I'm saying that he probably accepts it from because of societal influence, the same reason why all of the ancient polytheists believed that there Gods were historical.

And what, pray tell, is the difference between societal pressure to accept Jesus' historicity and societal influence to accept Jesus' historicity?

hue-man wrote:
Well, I'm not saying that Jesus wasn't historical.

Your own words:
"Was Jesus historical?
I beg to differ."

Resha Caner

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Looks like Reshna Caner knows more about the matter than I, so I'll let him handle your questions. However, my gut is that Jesus is not, from the perspective of the chroniclers, not worth mentioning because, as you point out, there were so many others apparently like Jesus at the time.

Jesus never held an official post or owned any property as best we can tell. So, there would not be any official correspondence or artifacts to find unless he had written personal letters. Again, nothing says he ever wrote letters.

So, you're basically right, Didymos. One theory is that many of the Romans never considered him important enough to mention by name. It's not something we can prove, but it's a plausible theory.

hue-man wrote:

Jesus was not King of the Jews. His Jewish opponents accused him of making that claim in order to justify involvement of the Romans. But he never made the claim, nor did any of his followers.

I'm sad to see you make the statement about Pilate. You are a victim of some intellectual dishonesty. For years some historians were claiming that Pilate did not exist ... hmm, a familiar tune here. Then, when an artifact was found with his name on it, they suddenly jumped over the fence and claimed Jesus was never mentioned in Pilate's correspondence. Duh! The reason so little is known about Pilate is that his correpondence was lost. So, if it was lost, of course we're not going to have correspondence from Pilate that mentions Jesus. I find that whole argument disingenuous, dishonest, etc. But I'm not accusing you, hue-man. I imagine it's something you picked up from others.

xris

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 04:01 am
@Resha Caner,
Huffing and puffing. If there is proof give it to me if there is not, dont try making up reasons for there not to be .The evidence that he is a myth is more than huffing and puffing..If you cant find the man look at the story and the story is so much like the myths .He may well have existed without records but not as the story tells us. We are looking for two different men..I see a man with message who suffered for his preaching that message. Then to make the message stronger the myths and stories become facts and the man disappears.

click here

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:09 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Huffing and puffing. If there is proof give it to me if there is not, dont try making up reasons for there not to be .The evidence that he is a myth is more than huffing and puffing..If you cant find the man look at the story and the story is so much like the myths .He may well have existed without records but not as the story tells us. We are looking for two different men..I see a man with message who suffered for his preaching that message. Then to make the message stronger the myths and stories become facts and the man disappears.

I don't think you are listening to him "If there is proof give it to me" He has asked you what you would define proof as and you haven't answered him yet. He would like to give you proof that you would find adequate. If you want proof tell him what you think decent proof should look like or be.

xris

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:23 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
I don't think you are listening to him "If there is proof give it to me" He has asked you what you would define proof as and you haven't answered him yet. He would like to give you proof that you would find adequate. If you want proof tell him what you think decent proof should look like or be.
I am listening to him..i said historical..just like anyone else who is historically mentioned..Its not rocket science..I could not prove king Arthur , Robin Hood myths and legends but i could Alexander the great or Napolean , historical figures.

click here

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:29 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I am listening to him..i said historical..just like anyone else who is historically mentioned..Its not rocket science..I could not prove king Arthur , Robin Hood myths and legends but i could Alexander the great or Napolean , historical figures.

I think he wants to know what degree of something you would take as evidence. Could it be as primitive as scratchings on a paper? Or do you only take written things that were notarized by 15 people as proof of historical accuracy.

What kinds of documents would you say are worthy of being used for historical accuracy?

xris

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:44 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
I think he wants to know what degree of something you would take as evidence. Could it be as primitive as scratchings on a paper? Or do you only take written things that were notarized by 15 people as proof of historical accuracy.

What kinds of documents would you say are worthy of being used for historical accuracy?
I have told you evidence relative to the time and substantiated thats what historical proven is, surely? I could show you books about Robin Hood would that convince you of his existanc? Im not being difficult ..I think or i thought everyone would understand proof without laying out pages of rules of what was substantial..

click here

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:54 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I have told you evidence relative to the time and substantiated thats what historical proven is, surely? I could show you books about Robin Hood would that convince you of his existanc? Im not being difficult ..I think or i thought everyone would understand proof without laying out pages of rules of what was substantial..

He wishes for you to state why the Epistles are not historical evidence.

xris

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:59 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
He wishes for you to state why the Epistles are not historical evidence.
Why is the book on Robin Hood not proof, why is any book on myths proof.

click here

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:03 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Why is the book on Robin Hood not proof, why is any book on myths proof.

Paul wrote them so that is why I would guess why he asked you whether you believed in Pauls historicity. Then if you did why not believe him as a historian.

click here

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:06 am
@hue-man,
Also I believe he said that you are just tossing them off as mythological for no reason.

xris

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:26 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
Paul wrote them so that is why I would guess why he asked you whether you believed in Pauls historicity. Then if you did why not believe him as a historian.
Paul being historicaly proven does not give his letters or words credence.Many have written about Robin Hood they are real people, it does not make Robin real..How else can you describe the Jesus story when you have no proof of the man .The message is valid but not the myth that goes with it, for effect.

Resha Caner

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 08:57 am
@xris,
Click, thanks again - for several reasons. For one, your mediation will hopefully help xris and I find a common understanding. I will admit that at times I begin to think people are intentionally stonewalling and giving vapid answers. I was at that point with xris. But I can see that is not the case. He thinks he has given me a definition of the evidence he expects.

Let me be clear then: I don't have a definition of evidence I can work with - at least not from xris. I'm not trying to be difficult, so maybe a little verbosity is required to explain myself. I am an engineer by trade, but history is near my heart. As such, I am currently in pursuit of a PhD. So, I don't have the credentials yet, but I'm working on it. For my class in historical research, we were required to do three things. First, we were required to study the history of history, paying special attention to what constituted "fact" in each period. Second, we were required to come to a consensus as a class on our definition of "fact". Third, we were then required to pick a thesis and defend it using that definition of "fact".

This discussion has not even come close to that level of rigor. But, as I said, I can work with what hue-man proposed.

Your argument for Robin Hood does not meet that criteria. You come near to begging the question. You assume we all agree Robin Hood is a myth, and then use Robin Hood as a definition of myth, and then conclude that all the stories about Robin Hood are obviously myth. You then use that as a comparison to the Gospels and Epistles to conclude it is also a myth. This is not an argument.

I have never seen historical evidence for Robin Hood - but then I've never looked for it either. Why? It's not important to me. So, I can easily grant you Robin Hood as a myth and concede nothing. It won't help your argument at all ... unless you present a fuller case citing the evidence of those who think Robin Hood has some historical credibility. If you did that, it would be an excellent parallel, because the story does contain historical figures and places.

Now, I did a little research, so let me give you an example of my own. I did a quick survey of Asian, African, and European historical figures. It looks like the Egyptian Pharohs would be a good example for my point. Manetho was an Egyptian historian who lived in the 3rd century BC, and created a "list of kings" extending back to 3000 BC. He is the only source for many of the Pharohs, and obviously was not contemporary to them. Therefore, by hue-man's definition, the Pharohs in the "list of kings" are not historical ... yet you will find ancient historians saying things like they "probably were" or "may have been" historical.

This is why I said the criteria was too strict. Due to the amount of information that has been lost - and further that it was common practice for political and military victors to destroy evidence of past peoples, places, and events, historians uses qualifiers. They would not say the pharohs "did not exist", but would qualify the answer because there is a source - granted that it is only one source.

But it seems you may have conceded this - that Jesus existed. What you're now denying is claims that he did miracles or that he was divine. You're also hedging with some double talk that the historical Jesus and the Biblical Jesus are not the same man. I still have an issue with that.

I'm not going to say I can make a historical case for Jesus' divinity or his miracles (nor do I concede them as a myth). But I can still use the Bible to make historical claims. Ancient historians make claims all the time from documents that reference myths. So, I can state that Jesus' family came form Nazareth, that he was born in Bethlehem, that he visited Cana and Capernaum and Jerusalem, etc.

I will not use the method of the Jesus Seminar because it's bunk. They use a "common man" argument that is ridiculous. The "common man" living as a carpenter in Nazareth would not have done the things the Bible claims Jesus did. Yes, well the "common man" would not have led a communist revolution that seized control of China, but Mao Tse Tung did.

Hue-man's definition is too restrictive in another way, and I will use Hannibal as an example. According to that definition, historians from previous eras should not have considered Hannibal historical. We now have a few coins with his name on them, so we can meet the artifact requirement, but that is recent. You can still search the web and find references mentioning that we have no contemporary or archaeological evidence for Hannibal. But we have had documentary evidence for thousands of years because of a historian named Polybius. The catch is that Polybius was not contemporary to Hannibal. He was born after the Punic Wars and after Hannibal's death. He went around interviewing veterans of the war and wrote a history from it. But according to the definition we are working with, that is circumstantial evidence, and therefore not admissible.

So, by the definition we're using here, the Punic Wars are not historical. Try announcing that in history class sometime.

Even then I said, "OK, let's move forward." I have been trying to get you to state a specific reason for dismissing the Epistles and the Gospels. Your reason for Paul's epistles is that they are circumstantial. OK. But I've moved on. I'm now asking among the list of other figures whom you would consider historical: Barnabus, John Mark, Luke, and the other apostles (Peter, Matthew, John, James, etc.).

hue-man

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:17 am
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
Jesus never held an official post or owned any property as best we can tell. So, there would not be any official correspondence or artifacts to find unless he had written personal letters. Again, nothing says he ever wrote letters.

So, you're basically right, Didymos. One theory is that many of the Romans never considered him important enough to mention by name. It's not something we can prove, but it's a plausible theory.

Jesus was not King of the Jews. His Jewish opponents accused him of making that claim in order to justify involvement of the Romans. But he never made the claim, nor did any of his followers.

I'm sad to see you make the statement about Pilate. You are a victim of some intellectual dishonesty. For years some historians were claiming that Pilate did not exist ... hmm, a familiar tune here. Then, when an artifact was found with his name on it, they suddenly jumped over the fence and claimed Jesus was never mentioned in Pilate's correspondence. Duh! The reason so little is known about Pilate is that his correpondence was lost. So, if it was lost, of course we're not going to have correspondence from Pilate that mentions Jesus. I find that whole argument disingenuous, dishonest, etc. But I'm not accusing you, hue-man. I imagine it's something you picked up from others.

"Jesus was not King of the Jews. His Jewish opponents accused him of making that claim in order to justify involvement of the Romans."

Of course Jesus wasn't the king of the Jews! I was saying that they supposedly put that on his crucifix when he died!!! Jesus Christ, my point was that if this man was so important why is he not in any of the records?

I am not saying that he did not historically exist. I am saying that I wont believe that he did until they find hard, contemporary evidence to support it! The same goes for the other messiah Gods; I don't discriminate.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:24:45