Warning! Another philosophy student infects board

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Warning! Another philosophy student infects board

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:15 pm
So I've decided to call myself Theaetetus after my favorite and underrated dialogue of Plato. I am a philosophy student with a background in Plato, Alan Watts, Jose Ortega y Gasset, Tom Robbins, Nietzsche, Emerson, Lewis Mumford, and to understand why the philosophy of the American society is so messed up--Ayn Rand. My favorite fields within philosophy are ancient philo (beginning ancient Greek in the fall), ethics, existentialism, and social philosophy.

I was a campus newspaper editor for the last school year and also like to write fictional work from time to time. Depending on my ambition over the course of this lazy summer I could participate more or less to leave off on a totally ambigious statement.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:21 pm
@Theaetetus,
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds as thought we the same interests in Rand. Wink

boagie

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 06:27 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus,Smile

Looks like quite a mix of philosophy, it will be interesting to find what has arisen in the way of emergent ideas. Well Theaetetus, you have found the right place if quality dialogue is your desire. Again welcome, we are happy to have you with us!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:13 pm
@boagie,
Welcome!

I just finished reading you... and I am none too pleased with your accounts on knowledge...especially that perception stuff.

You sir, have made... the list.

LOL! just kidding. Welcome!

de budding

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:43 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Existentialism and social philosophy you say? My favirote! Not that I'm any good at it. Also an editor Smile, that reminds me I thought an e-zine might be a good project for the forums heh heh Wink.

Well I hope you enjoy your stay and I will see you on the boards,
Dan.

Jazzman phil

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 12:20 am
@Theaetetus,
Welcome aboard! I look forward to exchange with you! Are you also interested in german social philosophy?

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 06:44 am
@de budding,
If the decision is made to put together an e-zine for the forums I probably would be willing to do it. I am pretty handy with InDesign CS3.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 06:47 am
@Jazzman phil,
Jazzman wrote:
Welcome aboard! I look forward to exchange with you! Are you also interested in german social philosophy?

I am more familiar with Russian social philosophy like Peter Kropotkin and Leon Trotsky and American social and political philosophy. German social philosophy--that include Karl Marx...correct? I should read more Marx but I haven't got around to it yet.

Jazzman phil

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:13 pm
@Theaetetus,
I do more think about Habermas and his ancestors resp. descendants.

jlance3504

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 01:17 pm
@Theaetetus,
Take some advice from me, my friend, and stay in school as long as you can. It seems like university is the only location I could find sanity. I also was a school newspaper contributor, although it looks as if you run the show. I was merely the guy that was nearly threatened with death in letters to the editor for my editorials. I should have taken more of Philosophy in college, but neglected it for more courses that I thought may help me upon graduation. I think the Philosophy may have helped me more.

Hope you do well in all that you do.

-JL

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Warning! Another philosophy student infects board
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:28:36