Concerning Paul

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:41 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
Didymos, your reply is "cute", but not really worth addressing. So, yes, this may be a waste of time. That is not a dodge. If you want me to reply to a specific point of yours, I will.

Recall the condition and challenge I mentioned - that about mutual respect? You have a long way to go. I'm not perfect, but seriously, fellow, your insistence on disrespect is astonishing.

Resha Caner wrote:
In looking back through this thread, it seems you spent your time telling me what gnosticism is not. I need a positive definition before we can have much of a discussion (I'm annoyed with myself that I can't remember the word I'm looking for. What is it called when people define something by what it is not?).

Perhaps it is called a negative definition. Either way, it seems you have missed my point. I'm saying that, aside from being applied to certain faith traditions, gnosticism is essentially meaningless. It is a label applied to entirely contradictory faith traditions.

The definition of gnosticism is, then, an academic term of immensely limited use.

Resha Caner wrote:
You seemed to agree that the 5 points I listed in a previous post were "gnostic". I'll narrow it to 2:

1. Every individual has the ability to reach religious truth by themselves.

2. External expressions of religion like churches, worship, or creeds are unnecessary.

Yes, these points seem typical to gnosticism. The problem is that we can apply the same points to other faith traditions. Does this mean that Taoism is a gnostic faith? Obviously not.

Resha Caner wrote:
If we're going to discuss this, we'll have to table our disagreement on the definition of "Christian", or we'll go nowhere. I would suggest instead, that we agree on what Biblical texts are "admissible" to this particular discussion (I'm assuming you won't let me use the whole Bible).

Your assumption, like many others you have made during the course of this conversation, is off base. Any text is "admissible" (a word you put in quotations, a word I have not used).

What you have to understand is that while all texts are admissible, none are absolute. Some Christians may not use text A, others might. Both can still be Christian.

Earlier you said that to be a Christian one must accept the Gospel of John. This claim is obviously false as Christianity pre-dates the Gospel of John. Are we ready to admit that false statement?

Resha Caner

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 11:52 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Recall the condition and challenge I mentioned - that about mutual respect? You have a long way to go. I'm not perfect, but seriously, fellow, your insistence on disrespect is astonishing.

In this case you misunderstand me. But my approach has sensitized you, and maybe I deserve such a reply.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm saying that, aside from being applied to certain faith traditions, gnosticism is essentially meaningless.

I did get that. Maybe you will think it a poor analogy, but it seems you are saying that "gnostic" is an adjective, not a noun.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Your assumption, like many others you have made during the course of this conversation, is off base. Any text is "admissible" (a word you put in quotations, a word I have not used).

What you have to understand is that while all texts are admissible, none are absolute. Some Christians may not use text A, others might. Both can still be Christian.

I asked you to set that aside. I'm no longer speaking in generalities. I'm speaking of you and me (and whoever else decides to participate in the discussion).

Should I quote a saying of Jesus from Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, I don't want to be distracted by having you claim my quote is not an accepted saying of Jesus. I could show you excerpts of Eusebius that claim the veracity of all 4 gospels. And Eusebius then points back to a chain of church historians who have made the same claims. You could then mention the criticisms of Eusebius, and I could recite the answers to those criticisms, and on it goes. I was simply hoping to shortcut the discussion.

For example, if you do not accept some of the sayings of Jesus from the Gospel of John, I won't use John. But I want to know that up front. This has nothing to do with whether Christians do or do not accept John. I'm asking what texts you accept.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Earlier you said that to be a Christian one must accept the Gospel of John. This claim is obviously false as Christianity pre-dates the Gospel of John. Are we ready to admit that false statement?

I explained this. The Christianity that pre-dates the written gospel of John had the personal witness of John. Yet even in those early days, since John couldn't be everywhere (or Peter, Paul, James, Polycarp, Irenaeus ...) they began writing letters to each other. It is interesting that many of the early letters addressed those who were straying away from the original gospel message. Anyway, since I can no longer go talk to John in person, his letters is all I have. I don't understand why a Christian would not accept them.

So, I admit no falsity of any kind in my insistence. I simply asked to put it aside. If you don't want to use the Gospel of John in this discussion, I will agree to it.

But I do have the right to express how I define things. And, communities have a right to define the standards of their community. Within the Lutheran Church, accepting the entire Bible is a prerequisite - as it is for a lengthy list of denominations. That you find these communities unnecessary (item #2 in the previous post) in no way invalidates those who decide to join in such a community.

Let me also be clear of one thing. I have found in previous conversations that some people assume I am condemning them to hell because of statements such as what I just made. Nothing of the kind. Your fate is God's decision, not mine. You don't have to belong to my church to be "saved".

Whoever

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:47 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
I think that there seems to be a definite division in Christianity today (and probably it has always been there to one degree or another) over what is most important concerning Christ; whether it be his teachings or his sacrifice. The general trend seems to have the western orthodox putting more emphasis on the sacrifice, this being that Christ's most significant legacy to us is the remission of sins through his shed blood and that without that act and the belief in that act as our sole means to salvation we cannot be saved. The eastern view, on the other hand, seems to be that we should abide first and foremost by his teachings, that without this effort on our part there is a certain hypocrisy in claiming salvation and proselytizing the gospel. Although both sides share common ground, and doubtless both interpretations overlap, how they approach the matter seems markedly different.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting Christianity at large and if I am please feel free to correct me. I am making no claims of expertise here, just relating what looks to be a general trend. But this general trend seems to shape the thoughts of many of the Christian posters on this forum, either toward one philosophy or the other.

That was well put, and to me it seems to sum up the situation very neatly. (I hadn't noticed that there's something hypocritical about stressing the miracles at the expense of the teachings, but it seems rather obvious now you come to mention it). I don't know how this situation can ever be resolved in religious debate. I suppose we could toss a coin. I do think it can be resolved in philosophy, but philosophical arguments don't count for much in the dogmatic kind of religion, so it must remain a stalemate.

It is interesting that Bishop Irenaeus, the arch-enemy of the gnostic interpretation of Jesus' life and teachings, tells us that if we take the story of the crudifixion and resurrection of Jesus literally it is absurd, and this is why we should believe that it happened as described in the Bible. This is good argument, since whoever wrote the story down must have known it would look absurd, and if it was a lie they would have made it more believable. But there's another explanation for its absurdity which is just as plausible.

Whoever

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:01 am
@Resha Caner,
Resha

I'll check out Philip J Lee.

Quote:
To insist that "scholar" be defined by the opinions one holds is an attempt to exclude those opinions. I suggest we let the weight of the argument decide the course. If someone takes an indefensible position, they won't last long.

I thought I put my point simply. It was that someone who is not disinterested, or does not at least aspire to be so, is not a scholar. I think few scholars would object to this idea.

Quote:
This is just silly. Yeah, if I thought like you, I would make your conclusions. And if you thought like me, you would make my conclusions. Which gets us nowhere.

This was my point. It's no good claiming your view of Christianty is correct because its based on your Church's interpretation of the texts.

Quote:
But I'm not sure it's even worth asking, because now you're going to claim that Abraham was a gnostic. If so, I'm not going any further until you give me your case for such.

I didn't claim any such thing.

Whoever

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:06 am
@Solace,
Didymos

Do you see gnosticism as a generic doctrine (that of gnosis) underneath the variety of its expressions, or do you see a variety of faiths? I'm interested because it's the only issue I've noticed on which we might disagree.

Resha Caner

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 09:36 am
@Whoever,
Whoever wrote:
I thought I put my point simply. It was that someone who is not disinterested, or does not at least aspire to be so, is not a scholar. I think few scholars would object to this idea.

I have not found this to be widely agreed upon. Some profess it, but not all, and the degree to which "disinterest" has been held up varies over time. There is no objective measure for defining a "scholar" (or, at least if there is one, I am unaware of it and you can inform me). Rather, scholars seem to have a wide variety of opinion that is heartily debated.

It is more the method than the opinion that defines a scholar - one involving conclusions (with qualifiers) drawn from data based upon warrants. This method and each of its terms is laid out in great detail by Van Harvey in "The Historian and the Believer".

Whoever wrote:
This was my point. It's no good claiming your view of Christianty is correct because its based on your Church's interpretation of the texts.

A question that has never come up is whether you consider yourself to be a Christian. I ask for a simple reason. I think whether one considers oneself inside or outside the group being defined bears some weight. I would never presume I could give a definition of Islam that is superior to one a Moslem would give.

I realize this doesn't settle the matter between us. So maybe I should turn instead, to this matter of "disinterest". To me this sounds synonomous with "objectivity". If not, please clarify. Regardless, I ask how one adheres to your requirement of "disinterest".

Whoever

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 10:54 am
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
I have not found this to be widely agreed upon. Some profess it, but not all, and the degree to which "disinterest" has been held up varies over time. There is no objective measure for defining a "scholar" (or, at least if there is one, I am unaware of it and you can inform me). Rather, scholars seem to have a wide variety of opinion that is heartily debated.

I doubt that many scholars would want to argue that scholarship is consistent with prejudice.

Quote:
A question that has never come up is whether you consider yourself to be a Christian. I ask for a simple reason. I think whether one considers oneself inside or outside the group being defined bears some weight. I would never presume I could give a definition of Islam that is superior to one a Moslem would give.

Yes, it's a good point. I take the same approach. But there's a complication. I do consider myself to be a Christian, in aspiration more than in fact I regret to say, but at least insofar as that I believe the teachings of Jesus are true. But you would not consider me a Christian, so you need not defer to my definition.

Quote:
... maybe I should turn instead, to this matter of "disinterest". To me this sounds synonomous with "objectivity". If not, please clarify. Regardless, I ask how one adheres to your requirement of "disinterest".

'Objectivity' would be the same for me also.

I've checked out Philip Lee via an article in a Protestant magazine. He's not talking about anything I would call gnosticism. Still, at least he doesn't claim that they eat their babies and that must be progress. Rather, he claims that the gnostics are all 'me, me me,' which is about as far from the truth as it would be possible to arrive at. At any rate, he provides no philosophical refutation of gnosticism, so I still haven't come across one. All he does is say that it's heretical in Protestantism, which is already pretty obvious. His idea that George Bush is an example of gnostic tendencies is so ridiculous that I laughed. If only. I think the referees should have dealt with it.

But let's not argue about him. I'm happy to attempt to meet any objections to gnosticism you might have but I don't want to go on arguing about what Christianity is or is not. Gnosticism predates Christianity, and Christian gnosticism is confusing because for centuries nobody dared write anything good about it except in codes and riddles.

Resha Caner

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 03:49 pm
@Whoever,
Whoever wrote:
I doubt that many scholars would want to argue that scholarship is consistent with prejudice.

My word was "opinion". I think you are unjustified in changing that to "prejudice". Neither I nor any of the scholars I have referenced (to my knowledge) have ever advocated any punitive action against other scholars (or any gnostics for that matter) who hold a different view. I will ask you again: are you saying I have no right to give my definition of a Christian? Do I have no right to debate those (scholars or otherwise) who claim Christianity includes gnosticism?

Whoever wrote:
I do consider myself to be a Christian, in aspiration more than in fact I regret to say, but at least insofar as that I believe the teachings of Jesus are true. But you would not consider me a Christian, so you need not defer to my definition ... I'm happy to attempt to meet any objections to gnosticism you might have

I doubt you will "meet my objections", but we can continue to discuss the matter.

As an aspiring Christian, is that your singular goal? In other words, is being a "Christian" the only faith you seek, or are you aspiring to other teachings as well?

I ask because you must understand that my definition of "Christian" is a theological one. I would never use it to judge a particular person's situation as you imply. If you take anything I have said to mean I think you're a "bad person" or "damned" or any other such thing, I have tried to explain such is not the case. I think nothing of the kind. You would be welcome at my church any time (if you even think church has any value).

I know I am sometimes acerbic, and I need to improve in that area, but I never meant to get personal.

So, if you want to discuss one of the two "gnostic" items I listed, I am up for it:
2. External expressions of religion like churches, worship, or creeds are unnecessary.

Solace

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 04:28 pm
@Resha Caner,
Quote:

So, if you want to discuss one of the two "gnostic" items I listed, I am up for it:

I will reply to these from my own personal belief. I am not a representative or member of any church or organization of any kind. So the following is just as far as it pertains to my way of thinking. I am not proselytizing. I don't recommend "my way" to anyone. What I do recommend is that everyone figure out for themselves what is right for them.

1. Absolutely not. Unless and until God opens my eyes to see something, I will not see it. No effort of my own will accomplish spiritual enlightenment.

However, I don't even remotely believe that I need to read a book, adhere to any tradition, go to any place, talk to or be lead by any man, or get on my knees and beg, in order for it to happen.

2.Those things are absolutely unnecessary. I have yet to find a church that teaches what I believe, so until I do, that one will have to remain unnecessary, out of necessity if nothing else. God is my father. No father would want his own children to worship him. (Besides, what are we saying about God if we assume that he needs his ego stroked through worship? Worship is man's vice, not God's.) The only "creed" or expression of my faith that I feel describes what I believe is simply this; I am a child of God. There are other things that I believe, but proclaiming anything more than that would be extraneous to what I believe I am.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 05:59 pm
@Solace,
Resha Caner wrote:

I did get that. Maybe you will think it a poor analogy, but it seems you are saying that "gnostic" is an adjective, not a noun.

Even as an adjective, Gnosticism fails to have any real meaning. Again, when Gnosticism refers to mutually exclusive theologies (monism vs dualism, for example) and as Gnosticism can refer to non-Christian traditions, the term is essentially meaningless.

Resha Caner wrote:
I asked you to set that aside. I'm no longer speaking in generalities. I'm speaking of you and me (and whoever else decides to participate in the discussion).

You want me to set aside the nuances of the Christian tradition? I'm not here defending my theology, I am here supporting the fact that, right or wrong, Christians have diverse theologies.

Resha Caner wrote:
Should I quote a saying of Jesus from Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, I don't want to be distracted by having you claim my quote is not an accepted saying of Jesus. I could show you excerpts of Eusebius that claim the veracity of all 4 gospels. And Eusebius then points back to a chain of church historians who have made the same claims. You could then mention the criticisms of Eusebius, and I could recite the answers to those criticisms, and on it goes. I was simply hoping to shortcut the discussion.

Except that I have never made such a claim. Instead, I have said that some Christians might reject certain sayings. When discussing a faith tradition, the nuances cannot be ignored.

Resha Caner wrote:
For example, if you do not accept some of the sayings of Jesus from the Gospel of John, I won't use John. But I want to know that up front. This has nothing to do with whether Christians do or do not accept John. I'm asking what texts you accept.

You are trying to make this a battle between my theology and your theology. The problem is that I have not advanced my theology, instead, I have discussed the variety of theology found in Christianity. I'm not arguing that anyone is right or wrong, only that Christians can believe a wide variety of things and still be Christian.

Resha Caner wrote:
I explained this. The Christianity that pre-dates the written gospel of John had the personal witness of John. Yet even in those early days, since John couldn't be everywhere (or Peter, Paul, James, Polycarp, Irenaeus ...) they began writing letters to each other. It is interesting that many of the early letters addressed those who were straying away from the original gospel message. Anyway, since I can no longer go talk to John in person, his letters is all I have. I don't understand why a Christian would not accept them.

Except that your explanation is historically inaccurate. Not all Christians prior to the Gospel of John met the man or read his letters. Thus, not all Christians prior to the Gospel of John had the personal witness of John.

Some Christians might reject John's theology in favor of the theology found in the Synoptic Gospels or in the Apocrypha. It's all about what works for the individual practitioner. Rejecting/Accepting John isn't right or wrong, it just happens - Christians accept and reject John. And you can be a Christian regardless of your acceptance/rejection of John.

Resha Caner wrote:
So, I admit no falsity of any kind in my insistence. I simply asked to put it aside. If you don't want to use the Gospel of John in this discussion, I will agree to it.

You are skirting the point. You said that Christians must accept the Gospel of John. As a matter of fact, not all Christians have/do accept the Gospel of John. This isn't about my theology or your theology, this is about what a Christian can accept/reject and still be a Christian. As some Christians have rejected the Gospel of John, as some Christians have not used the Gospel of John, one can be a Christian without using the Gospel of John as scripture.

Resha Caner wrote:
But I do have the right to express how I define things. And, communities have a right to define the standards of their community. Within the Lutheran Church, accepting the entire Bible is a prerequisite - as it is for a lengthy list of denominations. That you find these communities unnecessary (item #2 in the previous post) in no way invalidates those who decide to join in such a community.

Right. I have not objected to any of this. My point is that Christianity is more diverse than the Lutheran Church and more diverse than all of the organized Christian communities.

Resha Caner

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:09 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
the term [gnosticism] is essentially meaningless.

Unless you wish to offer something more, this seems a fitting end to that part of the conversation.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
You are trying to make this a battle between my theology and your theology.

No. I thought it would help to establish a standard for the conversation. You seem reluctant to do so.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
Right. I have not objected to any of this [my mention of Lutheran and other Christian communities].

Really? Why is this any more acceptable to you? Why do you leave me to define "Lutheran", but not "Christian"?

Resha Caner

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 08:12 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
1. Absolutely not [individuals cannot reach religious truth]. Unless and until God opens my eyes to see something, I will not see it. No effort of my own will accomplish spiritual enlightenment.

However, I don't even remotely believe that I need to read a book, adhere to any tradition, go to any place, talk to or be lead by any man, or get on my knees and beg, in order for it to happen.

I would agree with the first part, but not the second. So, let me ask you this: when you say "God", do you mean a divine, sentient being?

Whoever

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:15 am
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
My word was "opinion". I think you are unjustified in changing that to "prejudice". Neither I nor any of the scholars I have referenced (to my knowledge) have ever advocated any punitive action against other scholars (or any gnostics for that matter) who hold a different view. I will ask you again: are you saying I have no right to give my definition of a Christian? Do I have no right to debate those (scholars or otherwise) who claim Christianity includes gnosticism?

I didn't change anything. Of course scholars have different opinions. And of course you can argue for any view you like.

Quote:
I doubt you will "meet my objections", but we can continue to discuss the matter.

You haven't made one yet so I can't tell.

Quote:
As an aspiring Christian, is that your singular goal? In other words, is being a "Christian" the only faith you seek, or are you aspiring to other teachings as well?

I'm not in search of a faith. I'm after the truth.

Quote:
I ask because you must understand that my definition of "Christian" is a theological one. I would never use it to judge a particular person's situation as you imply. If you take anything I have said to mean I think you're a "bad person" or "damned" or any other such thing, I have tried to explain such is not the case.

I don't know why we keep having these misunderstandings. I don't think you've suggested I'm a bad person or damned. But isn't the Church's view that if I'm not a Christian I will be damned?

Quote:
I know I am sometimes acerbic, and I need to improve in that area, but I never meant to get personal.

The only problem I have is that you seem to read your assumptions into my posts, and perhaps this leads us to argue unnecessarily.

Quote:

I think these two propositions are true, but with some important provisos. I'd say we can reach the truth for ourselves but that this is only possible by the way of Jesus (or Buddha, St. Anthony etc.), and while external expressions may be unnecesssary in a strict sense they may nevertheless be extremely helpful, and certainly they have an important place, perhaps even a necessary one, in our culture, society or community.

By the way, I do not share Didymos' view of gnosticism. The word implies the pursuit of knowledge via gnosis and to say this idea is meaningless seems impossible to me. It could be defined minimally as applying to those who follow the advice of the Delphic oracle to 'know thyself.' I would agree, however, that it is difficult to disentangle the different gnostic traditions so that in a discussion of history the word has to be used very carefully. I've probably been a bit loose with my use of it, but I generally use a minimalistic definition which embraces all the traditions.

Solace

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:56 am
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
I would agree with the first part, but not the second. So, let me ask you this: when you say "God", do you mean a divine, sentient being?

Yes. I also mean God in the sense of my creator, willfully and intentionally creating. I don't much care for abstract definitions of God, but since being exact is not possible for that which we cannot see or know, the best analogy that I would provide for God is that of an author. God is to the universe as the author is to the book. He is the absolute authority.

Resha Caner

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:55 am
@Whoever,
Whoever wrote:
You haven't made one yet so I can't tell.

Then you must have a short memory. Should I create a link for you? I did raise an objection, and your reply was: well, that's how you interpret it, but not me. If that is your answer, there isn't much more to talk about. It leads to the disagreement we have over definitions, which I think you said you don't wish to carry any further (though this has all become a bit mushy in trying to carry on 3 conversations at once).

Whoever wrote:
I'm not in search of a faith. I'm after the truth.

This is semantics to some extent. I understand the importance of your distinction, but you make the distinction, and then go no further. That leads me to try to clarify which leads us into arguments over definition.

It might be more fruitful to answer the spirit of the question, making your qualifications where necessary. If you don't want to answer for whatever reason ... (shrug) OK.

Whoever wrote:
I don't know why we keep having these misunderstandings. I don't think you've suggested I'm a bad person or damned. But isn't the Church's view that if I'm not a Christian I will be damned?

The only problem I have is that you seem to read your assumptions into my posts, and perhaps this leads us to argue unnecessarily.

I don't think it was a misunderstanding - merely an unstated aspect. I wanted to clarify, and you have indicated that you understand. Good. We can move on, then.

Assumptions are inevitable in a conversation between two people who don't know each other. If I didn't make assumptions, I'd have to start from the very beginning: do you exist? are you human? do you speak English? (here is where I would invoke an emoticon to indicate that was just a joke, and not to be taken literally, but I don't really like emoticons, so instead I have opted for a very lengthy dissertation that is, in and of itself, quite silly, but hey, it's Christmas Eve and we're all supposed to gather round the table with the roast beast and put away our grinchness).

(edit) Sorry, I meant to answer this and forgot.
Whoever wrote:
isn't the Church's view that if I'm not a Christian I will be damned?

No, not really. The church is not to make any judgement of who is and is not damned. The Bible makes it clear that judgement is the domain of God. Now, historically this has happened, but it is just such events that led Luther to the Reformation.

Given that is the case, there are two poles when someone asks, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" (a question quoted from the New Testament). In the first, you shrug and say: figure it out for yourself. In the second, you explain what God has revealed as an answer to that question - even going to the extent of correcting errors in the understanding of that revelation.

As I see it, your gnostic view takes you toward the first pole, and my Christian view takes me toward the second pole (because of various commands given by Jesus).

But, in the end, what you do with the words I give is not up to me. That is left to how you receive the words and the workings of the Holy Spirit.

Whoever wrote:
The word [gnosticism] implies the pursuit of knowledge via gnosis ... It could be defined minimally as applying to those who follow the advice of the Delphic oracle to 'know thyself.'

Since you do not want to argue the definition of Christianity (at least that is what I think you are saying), I don't see that we should continue to discuss whether gnosticism is consistent with Christianity. Instead, you seem more interested in a general philosophical case against gnosticism. Since I don't care about the topic apart from Christianity, I've never really tried such a thing, but maybe we could start here:

Once you know yourself, what have you achieved?

Resha Caner

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 10:59 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Yes. I also mean God in the sense of my creator, willfully and intentionally creating. I don't much care for abstract definitions of God, but since being exact is not possible for that which we cannot see or know, the best analogy that I would provide for God is that of an author. God is to the universe as the author is to the book. He is the absolute authority.

Then I think you would agree that God is what he is, whether we believe it or not.

Solace

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:19 am
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
Then I think you would agree that God is what he is, whether we believe it or not.

Yes, I would agree to that. The beliefs of a character in the book does not determine the nature of the writer. Rather the writer determines the beliefs of the character.

Resha Caner

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:16 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Yes, I would agree to that. The beliefs of a character in the book does not determine the nature of the writer. Rather the writer determines the beliefs of the character.

If God has no interest in us, then it ends there - a blind watchmaker sort of thing. But if he does have an interest in us, would he not tell us so?

Solace

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 04:14 pm
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner wrote:
If God has no interest in us, then it ends there - a blind watchmaker sort of thing. But if he does have an interest in us, would he not tell us so?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an author who has no interest in the book he's writing or in the characters that he's writing about. As for whether or not he'd tell us so, why would he need to? Any character within the book who, by design of the author, comes to realize that there is an author, should, by both natural reason and also further design of the author, understand that the author has interest in his creation, else he would not have bothered to write the book in the first place.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 04:22 pm
@Solace,
Resha Caner wrote:
Unless you wish to offer something more, this seems a fitting end to that part of the conversation.

What more can I offer than an explanation as to why the term Gnostic is essentially meaningless? I've explained this, and you have refused to even address my arguments. If you do not want to even address my points then, yes, it's about time to end the conversation.

Resha Caner wrote:
No. I thought it would help to establish a standard for the conversation. You seem reluctant to do so.

A standard for what conversation? The debate regarding who is and who is not a Christian? That, after all, was our debate. In said debate, the Gospel of John is certainly admissible.

Resha Caner wrote:
Really? Why is this any more acceptable to you? Why do you leave me to define "Lutheran", but not "Christian"?

I did not ask you to define Lutheran.

Reshna, throughout our conversation you have avoided my arguments. If you will not address my points, why do you keep responding to my posts?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 07:56:08