question bible philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

SU37TERMINATOR

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:02 pm
@Baloo72,
no problem

When people "examine" a religion, they find that Hinduism and Buddhism don't have anything like the "Ten Commandments' that people have to follow. I'm saying that it is funny that God had to specifically state that people should not do it, whereas the followers of the other two religions are doing it without being told to...catch my drift?

and also, if what u say is true, that just because people follow them doesn't mean its real, then i can say that "God" might not be true either? your logic doesn't follow. If there are no other "true" gods, then God has no need to say "don't worship any other gods" cuz he wont have to worry about them...

also, in general to everyone, i found a funny fact online: the most shoplifted book in the entire world, except in India, China, and other Asian countries, is the Bible, and i find that ironic, considering the Commandment "Thou shall not steal"...

Baloo72

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 05:21 pm
@cut2thepoint,
I do catch your drift, thanks. Also there are many people that do not have any of these religions (athiests or agnostics) who do not murder or steal without being told. I don't think that all christians would murder and steal if the ten commandments were not there. According to the bible, we are living in an age that we are led by God's holy spirit (if a person is a christian). This is sort of like having a conscience. It tells us what is right and what is wrong. Before Jesus was around, the Jews lived very legalistically, following the letter of the law not the intent of the law. I'm probably veering off topic here so I'll get to my next point.

I reread my other post and, you are right it doesn't make a lot of sense. Let me see if I can clarify what I was saying.

"personally, the bible is not truth i know that, because it doesnt make sense, and somethings are unnecessarily stated.

for example "i am the only God...dont worship any other God..." its like what the...?"

A god is something that is worshipped. The God speaking in the bible was telling the israelites (who were surrounded by people of various pagan religions) not to worship the pagan gods (idols). Basically, God was telling the israelites that they should not veer away from their faith. My statement "Just because someone follows it doesn't make it true." is still true, but it was taken out of the intention that I had with it. My brain had more sentences in there than were really there. I intended to say that the israelites see God in the bible as the only true God. There are other gods acknowledged by the israelites. They see these only as idols that other people are following. I was trying to make that statement (Just because someone follows it doesn't make it true.) to show that the Israel's God was telling them that he was a true God, and not a pagan god. Just because the pagans are following those idols, does not mean that the idols are true Gods. God doesn't have to worry about the other gods, but he does have to worry about his people turning from him and to these other gods. You are also right when you say "then i can say that "God" might not be true either?" if you attach a "because someone is following him" to the end. That was my statement, which I see now is more true than I first thought.

I find your fact quite humorous. No, I have never stolen a Bible.

Also, does truth always have to make sense? Thanks for the info, and keep the posts coming.

SU37TERMINATOR

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:05 pm
@Baloo72,
i see what ur saying. so "God" said that people should not follow their so called 'fake' gods and truly stick to "God" himself? ok i can see where ur getting at...its kinda like saying i should not worship some thing stupid as "Colbertism" where i worship Steven Colbert as an Idol or something Smile altho it'd be cool if he becoms president Smile

no but serisouly, but i hope u can understand my arguement...anyways, im not much a christian expert, so i have a question...what does the bible exactly say about like there being a god in heaven, and there also being a spirit? im a bt confused on that part, and the friends that i have asked at school have given me a vague explanation...can u clarify? I just find it a bit funny, and im sry if u are a christian, Baloo72, i dont mean this as a personal attack or anything, but i just find it funny to view it as like a God sitting in heaven, and like the whole concept and everything...so is there like a God sitting in one spot, in heaven, and like goin "ga-zaam! there's another person born!" ?

Baloo72

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:26 pm
@cut2thepoint,
Well, first I don't take any offense from this. Second, I will try to clarify what I can.

The Bible teaches that God is a triune being. God the father, God the son, and God the holy spirit. (Matt. 28:19) They are all the same God, but different parts. This would be comparable to the triune brain hypothesis. You only have one brain, but it is divided into three distinct parts. God the father is seen mostly in the old testament. As far as I know, heaven is the place that God the father dwells. It is also the place that god the son (Jesus) is dwelling, but has not always and will not always. God the holy spirit is dwelling with the spirits of believers, in their hearts and in their minds. I don't know that God concerns himself with "zapping" people into this world, but I do see God the father sitting in heaven.

Hopefully this answered your question, but if it did not just let me know.

SU37TERMINATOR

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:14 pm
@Baloo72,
hmm...alright i see what u mean...when u said that jesus lives in heaven, but did not always and will not always, u are saying that part of god will eventually die? and also, does teh bible tell exactly where heaven is?

dpmartin

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 05:56 pm
@cut2thepoint,
su37terminater

to go back a posting or two, would you happen know if the god's of Hinduism and Buddhism speak to people?

SU37TERMINATOR

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:28 pm
@dpmartin,
Um...well i cant say exactly for Bhuddism, because i follow hinduism, but since bhuddism is a spin off of hinduism...

no HIndu gods do not speak to the people...in fact there is no "gods" or one god...hindus, contrary to popular belief, are not polytheistic or monotheistic...we believe that there is ONLY god, that everything u see in teh world is a manifestation (not sure if i spelt it right) of god. The "enlightenment" thing thats usually associated with hinduism is the realization that everything in the worls is a manifestation of god. This is also the reason why we dont have this evolution vs intelligent design ...well, crap.

Seeker phil

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:58 am
@cut2thepoint,
A friend of mine has a Bible that has been carbon dated to from about 600AD. It is written in Aramaic which is the language that Jesus spoke. They have finished taking pictures of each page and are now translating it directly into English. The Aramaic language is a language of Science and Physics. What Russell is telling us is what Jesus was telling us. "I am the Light of the World" is a statement of Physics.

SU37TERMINATOR

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:23 pm
@Seeker phil,
Aramaic? interesting...wonder if they have it on wiki Smile

Who is Russell?

and also, what do u mean when u say that it was a "statement of physics"?

NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:42 pm
@cut2thepoint,
Just want to add a couple of ideas about the "location" of the Biblical God. I think that in modern western theology we try too hard to make everything make "sense". Descriptive and Prophetic language can be taken too literally and disected too much.

Simply put: Heaven is where God lives, although He is also everywhere else too. God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one Being, yet three.

I don't think anyone can understand this completely, but it doesn't seem to hard to believe if I just take the normal physical/universal rules out of the picture. No where does the Bible say that God is limited to using the Space/Time continueum as we understand it, as He must have created it. Just that idea settles some questions for me. (not because I have answers, but because I can't limit the possible answers)

As far as the "Trinity": I have a body. I have mind. I have emotions. I have conflicting wills. I have arguments within my mind against myself. I can make a decision and force myself to follow through even though another part of myself is upset. (this happens every morning) All these things show that I have different parts of myself that interact, and to some degree are independant and quite distinct from each other. Yet I am certainly only one. Now, if such a finite being such as myself can display these qualities, then why would I expect an infinite being not to display similar traits, especially if He is functioning outside of time/space? Frankly, if God was simpler than I am, then I would be confused. Smile

dpmartin

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:56 pm
@cut2thepoint,
su37terminater
I am just trying to understand, and read from a point of view, or you can accuse me of being to lazy to find out for my self.

"everything in the world is a manifestation of god"

Would this include all that is said and done in the world? All of mankind and all that he thinks and does and says?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:29:09