Sequential Intelligence

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:52 pm
@HexHammer,
Sure Hex:
If at this very point in time you have the experience and knowhow to give me a proper blood letting or mercury treatment, I'll give you my address. A knowledge base still does not bely the fact that knowledge does not equal intelligence. An index of knowledge through out history is simply that, an index. Once a non-oral medium for indexing was created it became a matter of accumulation and inspiration from said accumulation. The ability to innovate and or the ability to speculate, abstract, and produce novelty based from that index at any point in time is based on the same human function as stated in my original post. As far as specifying, the OP was a broad question deserving a broad answer. If you would like to to specify maybe present a specific question and not a farsical ultimatum designed to lead a conversation down the paths which you desire it, by forcing me to choose from one obvious extreme, can anyone say Straw Man?

---------- Post added 04-09-2010 at 04:57 PM ----------

Arjuna;136504 wrote:
I think the pure mass of information available is creating people with an enhanced ability to process information. I can't say to what extent hard work is involved. Toddlers effortlessly become polylingual.

Arj:
traditionally before the colonization of the world by the east and west, and still in certain liguistically diverse pockets speaking 7 or 8 languages was natural as a necessity. The only difference between 5000 years ago and now is the type of information being processed not the ability to process it.

Baal

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:08 pm
@Camerama,
Many of you are forgetting that collective knowledge is merely the notion of a result leading there. While we have made advances or such in the sciences, what we have before us is merely a particular paradigmatic stage in that field.

In other words, we have the knowledge, documentation, science, of our particular era. Though it might be claimed that there exists a corpus of knowledge which has existed beforehand that has led to our stage, as if to say we have a clear hindsight of our predecessors - and on top of that, our own modern innovations.

The idea here is that history is viewed only from the perspective of the present, a historical analysis today of bloodletting as a summary and transition or merely a stage in evolution to our current state of medicine is just that, a myth and story to give our practice a grounding in a kind of history and tradition. For the common man, that is for those who are not historians of medicine, it is nothing more than the knowledge the Greeks had of their own creation story (Prometheus and friends). The fact that "Some historian" knows exactly what has transpired does not add to the collective intelligence, or even the collective knowledge of civilization. The only thing we actually have over other, older generations is the general knowledge that we have more general knowledge - the perception of history and evolution from a collective perspective has been the same as it has always been in form, it is only the substance which has changed.

The common knowledge that there was once a medical treatment involving bloodletting and mercury, but that it is now known to be damaging is not much different from the common knowledge of the Bible that once people worshiped idols, but we know better. Surely one can interject that there has been documentation, scientific documentation relating to bloodletting etc. whereas an equivalent does not exist for idolatry; yet what this entails is merely the notion that "It is known", the form itself is appealed to - we never counter by stating exactly what it is which is known.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:19 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;150094 wrote:
Sure Hex:
If at this very point in time you have the experience and knowhow to give me a proper blood letting or mercury treatment, I'll give you my address. A knowledge base still does not bely the fact that knowledge does not equal intelligence. An index of knowledge through out history is simply that, an index. Once a non-oral medium for indexing was created it became a matter of accumulation and inspiration from said accumulation. The ability to innovate and or the ability to speculate, abstract, and produce novelty based from that index at any point in time is based on the same human function as stated in my original post. As far as specifying, the OP was a broad question deserving a broad answer. If you would like to to specify maybe present a specific question and not a farsical ultimatum designed to lead a conversation down the paths which you desire it, by forcing me to choose from one obvious extreme, can anyone say Straw Man?
Blood letting with unsterile instruments ofcause, it must be a proper medival procedure ..ok bad joke aside.

Knowledge in itself does not raise the IQ/RQ significantly, we do afterall still have stupid people even though they live in an enlighten information age. We often end up in arrogance and belittle those before us as stupid and ignorent, just because they don't live up to our modern standards and values.

Anceint civs has made up art, building techniques, poetry, philosophy, astronomy ..etc that is still valid today.
Don't we all admire the great pyramid, builded with primitive tools and iron will, greek statues are still highly admired.

Our brain hasn't evolved since the dawn of homo saphiens, there are no such evidence of that, only our extravagant lifestyle allowed the support of exclusive and dedicated study of sicen and philosophy. In primitive cultures noone could support a person spending his entire life doing nothing but studying math, when he was better off plowing the field and thereby producing something useful.

..btw never get near mercury, it's extremely poisenous, will afftect your nervesystem.

William

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:56 am
@Baal,
Baal;150104 wrote:

The common knowledge that there was once a medical treatment involving bloodletting and mercury, but that it is now known to be damaging is not much different from the common knowledge of the Bible that once people worshiped idols, but we know better. Surely one can interject that there has been documentation, scientific documentation relating to bloodletting etc. whereas an equivalent does not exist for idolatry; yet what this entails is merely the notion that "It is known", the form itself is appealed to - we never counter by stating exactly what it is which is known.

Please forgive me Baal for not parsing the entirety of your post; frankly I agree with much of what you are offering here, but definitely not all. Surely you jest as you observe the highlighted portion above. Are you by any means suggesting idol worship is no more? Sorry, I absolutely disagree here. Please explain why it is you think and offer are no equivalents exist. Please justify that and thank you. :a-ok:

William

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:12 am
@Camerama,
in the past people have few knowledge and many things were not discovered/invented yet, but this great men in history is marked because of inventing/discovering such great things. even those things right now are not that great.

you can be more intelligent that to those great men because we develop more, because we evolve more.

but the question is? can you invent/discover such great things that will make you mark on the history.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 06:16 AM ----------

many things were already discover/invented that is why it is more rare and hard to invent/discover new things.

the undiscovered thing are getting few as we discover more.

William

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:50 am
@Camerama,
Hello Wisdom Seeker and welcome. Not to change the subject but what part of the Islands are you from? I have been there many times probably well before you were born; during the Viet Nam fiasco. Most was in Olongapo City (Subic Bay) in the province of Zambales and Manila where I was dispatched to go home to be discharged. Just curious.

Been on a few Jeepney's too. It's been over 40 years. I am sure things have changed since then.

Again, welcome

William

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:58 am
@William,
William;152709 wrote:
Hello Wisdom Seeker and welcome. Not to change the subject but what part of the Islands are you from? I have been there many times probably well before you were born; during the Viet Nam fiasco. Most was in Olongapo City (Subic Bay) in the province of Zambales and Manila where I was dispatched to go home to be discharged. Just curious.

Been on a few Jeepney's too. It's been over 40 years. I am sure things have changed since then.

Again, welcome

William

i live in the city of manila Mr.Williams, in here the rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer, that is why some places here are great looking and some looks trash. philippines seems to have a good economy, but unbalance because some places have good economical status but some are not. but then this country is greatly developed compare to its former status and still developing up to now.

metro-manila seems to be a mixture of slums and huge sky-crapers
but they are happily living here, they have no discriminations, all is equal.

philippines seems a mixture of western and eastern culture

William

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:14 am
@Camerama,
Wisdom seeker, my name is william and thank you for the "Mr."; that was respectful. Might I offer "slums" in any scenario is an indication of lack of equality. Let's hope the slums disappear one day, then and only then will any begin to realize what equality truly means. Thank you for your response.

William

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:12 am
@William,
William;153553 wrote:
Wisdom seeker, my name is william and thank you for the "Mr."; that was respectful. Might I offer "slums" in any scenario is an indication of lack of equality. Let's hope the slums disappear one day, then and only then will any begin to realize what equality truly means. Thank you for your response.

William

Your Welcome..............

BrightNoon

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 03:35 pm
@Camerama,
The most intelligent person today has access to more knowledge than the most intelligent person a century ago, and so between that person and a person a century earlier, and so on. I don't think that intelligence has evolved in historical time.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:36 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;150087 wrote:
So you want my blood letting? Also my mercury cure? We all know mercury can cure everything.

I do know tribes and non western thinking can be quite outstanding, buddhist monks keeping their sanity after years of isolation in chineese prisons, how fakirs in India showed the west how they could control the autonom system, how an African tribe knew of the dog star ..etc.

..but still, I will unselfishly give you free mideval treatmen.

Imo you need to specify a bit, else you reach to broad.

It's a trade. We've gained this, lost that. If we are lucky, maybe we can synthesize all the good stuff....

---------- Post added 04-18-2010 at 05:39 PM ----------

BrightNoon;153686 wrote:
The most intelligent person today has access to more knowledge than the most intelligent person a century ago, and so between that person and a person a century earlier, and so on. I don't think that intelligence has evolved in historical time.

Great point. I would also add that we have certain inherited interpretative technologies. We have equations and the speed of computers with which to process this same staggering abundance of information. But I agree that raw intelligence has probably not evolved, or only slightly..(Of course the genetics/intelligence issue is another can of worms that should perhaps be excluded as nonessential here...)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:47:10