Can we know that something doesn't exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@Night Ripper,

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 02:57 PM ----------

...there we go again...Hard or Soft ?...Smile

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:03 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;137611 wrote:

Actually, I think that's something me and kennethamy agree on. We both think that a billion gallon river of cola is possible but no person will ever be wasteful enough to make one.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:14 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;137615 wrote:
Actually, I think that's something me and kennethamy agree on. We both think that a billion gallon river of cola is possible but no person will ever be wasteful enough to make one.

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 03:16 PM ----------

Arjuna

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:21 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;137617 wrote:

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 03:16 PM ----------

Yea, so if it's possible, it's happening. If it's not happening... that tells you it's not possible. Can you detect a possibility field?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:21 pm
@hue-man,
Fil. Albuquerque wrote:

Indeed, and I am certain a snowman has never been made on Mars.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;137620 wrote:
Indeed, and I am certain a snowman has never been made on Mars.

You should be a Hard Determinist...Smile

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 03:26 PM ----------

Arjuna;137619 wrote:
Yea, so if it's possible, it's happening. If it's not happening... that tells you it's not possible. Can you detect a possibility field?

Present its all there is...

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:30 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;137599 wrote:
No, that's not what is meant. If something is physically impossible then it can't happen.

That is right. If it is true that relativity theory implies that nothing can travel faster than light, and if relativity theory is true, then it follows that nothing can travel faster than light. Relativity theory and something faster than light are incompatible. Just like something's being a snake, and being a mammal are incompatible. What is physically impossible cannot happen because it is inconsistent with physical theory. (Not, of course, because it is self-contradictory that it should happen).

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137627 wrote:
That is right. If it is true that relativity theory implies that nothing can travel faster than light, and if relativity theory is true, then it follows that nothing can travel faster than light. Relativity theory and something faster than light are incompatible. Just like something's being a snake, and being a mammal are incompatible. What is physically impossible cannot happen because it is inconsistent with physical theory. (Not, of course, because it is self-contradictory that it should happen).

Zetherin

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:45 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;137634 wrote:

You mean it wasn't logically possible in the first place?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;137637 wrote:
You mean it wasn't logically possible in the first place?

The problem here is what one grants as logically possible... without ultimate cause logically possible is a metaphor...

Zetherin

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:56 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;137639 wrote:
The problem here is what one grants as logically possible... without ultimate cause logically possible is a metaphor...

What is logically possible a metaphor for? X=?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;137640 wrote:
What is logically possible a metaphor for? X=?

Description of X IS INSUFFICIENT not wrong, wrong is the conclusion..."X" refers to X for "gravitational" proximity...metaphor fills the gap between what one can intuitively apprehend as X but that one cannot objectively define to the full...

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137627 wrote:
If it is true that relativity theory implies that nothing can travel faster than light

Which it's not. You're forgetting the distinction between does and can.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;137644 wrote:
Description of X IS INSUFFICIENT not wrong, wrong is the conclusion..."X" refers to X for "gravitational" proximity...metaphor fills the gap between what one can intuitively apprehend as X but that one cannot objectively define to the full...

A metaphor is saying X is Y. For instance, if I said this thread is a train wreck, I would be using metaphor. X (this thread) = Y (a train wreck).

You said logically possible is a metaphor. But you have yet to tell me what it is a metaphor for. X (logically possible) = Y(?)

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;137646 wrote:
Which it's not. You're forgetting the distinction between does and can.

But if relativity theory implies that nothing (does) go faster than light, then it is physically impossible for something to go faster than light. That means that something's going faster than light is inconsistent with relativity theory. A physical theory. What do you think it means?

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137651 wrote:
But if relativity theory implies that nothing (does) go faster than light, then it is physically impossible for something to go faster than light. That means that something's going faster than light is inconsistent with relativity theory. A physical theory. What do you think it means?

So you're using "physically impossible" to mean "inconsistent with relativity theory" instead of using "physically impossible" to mean "can't happen"?

Arjuna

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:34 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;137639 wrote:
metaphor for what?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;137656 wrote:
metaphor for what?

A "metaphor" for expressing the Intuition on X which is apprehended as whole but that cannot be explained to the full...

Arjuna

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;137660 wrote:
A "metaphor" for expressing the Intuition on X which is apprehended as whole but that cannot be explained to the full...
YES! You made my day!:bigsmile:

Zetherin

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;137656 wrote:
metaphor for what?

You ask the same question I did, but get a response. And all he gives me is convoluted nonsense. Isn't that weird?

---------- Post added 03-08-2010 at 04:53 PM ----------

Night Ripper;137655 wrote:
So you're using "physically impossible" to mean "inconsistent with relativity theory" instead of using "physically impossible" to mean "can't happen"?

I told you that's how it is used...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:13:15