Persuasion as Proof

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Deckard

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:14 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130600 wrote:
That such an argument is valid. I admit that when we get down to the most basic examples of proof the similarity to persuasion is less visible/arguable. But this is to steer the thread, in my eyes, from the its intended focus.

For the sake of argument, let's call tautologies proofs. How far can we go from there before the line blues twixt proof and persuasion?

I think it's the difference between a tool and what that tool is used for. True a proof is usually used to persuade just as a paintbrush is usually used for painting but a paintbrush is not painting.

Is there some important difference between "proof" and "a proof"?

Reconstructo;130600 wrote:

I don't believe I did. I hope not.

No not you.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:21 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;130610 wrote:
I think it's the difference between a tool and what that tool is used for. True a proof is usually used to persuade just as a paintbrush is usually used for painting but a paintbrush is not painting.

Is there some important difference between "proof" and "a proof"?

I'm looking at the more casual use of the word "proof." Like "here's the proof." I'm looking especially at more abstract discussion, like the one we are having about this issue right now. First philosophy/metaphysics is a good example. I feel that the detour toward geometry and tautology has been a bit misleading.

---------- Post added 02-21-2010 at 04:22 AM ----------

Deckard;130610 wrote:

No not you.

Written words won't convey the musically exact tone here.

Deckard

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:29 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130614 wrote:
I'm looking at the more casual use of the word "proof." Like "here's the proof." I'm looking especially at more abstract discussion, like the one we are having about this issue right now. First philosophy/metaphysics is a good example. I feel that the detour toward geometry and tautology has been a bit misleading.

Proof as that species of evidence that is most convincing? You seem to want to approach proof only asymptotically. You want to keep it within the same function as persuasion. Another geometric analogy but more Cartesian than Euclidean this time.

f(x) = 1/x
When x = 0, f(x) = proof

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:30 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130614 wrote:

I think you'd agree that some people gain a sense of pride or certainty from an understanding of logic, but they commit the following fallacy: That just because their form of argument is sound, that means the argument itelf is or is more likely sound.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:41 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;130623 wrote:
You seem to want to approach proof only asymptotically. You want to keep it within the same function as persuasion. Another geometric analogy but more Cartesian than Euclidean this time.

f(x) = 1/x
When x = 0, f(x) = proof

In this thread, yes, I am arguing from that position. I suppose this touches the certainty theme, as well as antecedent skepticism. This also touches Protagoras and the transcendental pretense. It seems to me all positions are based on axioms that appear self-evident if they are consciously considered at all. I can't help but note the emotional element that accompanies reasoning. Especially in regards to more abstract thoughts, what we passionate believe is our concrete or total reality. The discourse may be false in the eyes of another, but it is the lingual-lens thru which we perceive the world. Our worlds seem largely made of sentences. If the self is a network of beliefs and desires, the structure of this network is presumably as important as evidence thrust upon it. The spirit or rationality as a stomach, that can only digest what is compatible with its current mental-model of reality. Enough dissonance can break off chunks of the network/self, but we generally negate/refute what threatens our currently working worldview.

---------- Post added 02-21-2010 at 04:45 AM ----------

Scottydamion;130625 wrote:
I think you'd agree that some people gain a sense of pride or certainty from an understanding of logic, but they commit the following fallacy: That just because their form of argument is sound, that means the argument itelf is or is more likely sound.

I would say that "logic" functions for some as a tattoo or a lucky rabbit's foot. I do think that aspects of our language are subject to structural analysis but I also think that these aspects are fairly obvious and intuitive and that formal logic doesn't really say much. I agree with Witt. It's a tautology calculator.

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130497 wrote:
Descartes writes that his proofs of God are not meant to persuade, since he realizes that those professors at the Sorbonne for whom he composed the proofs were already persuaded that God exists. But his purpose in composing the proofs was to put the belief in God on a firm basis.

Descartes explains this in his introduction to his Meditations.

So, there you go!

I may be persuaded that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. But, just to make sure, I may look it up in the Atlas. There you go again!

Descartes meant persuasive to them, after all, they were no doubt persuasive to him.

"I may look it up in the Atlas", now you're just thinking in black and white, and that's hard to do with things like justification and persuasion.

If someone persuades you to leave a restaraunt with them without paying and you act upon that persuasion, it does not mean you were fully or absolutely persuaded, you can have doubts and still be persuaded.

Deckard

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:59 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130632 wrote:
Our worlds seem largely made of sentences.

I will pick out this one sentence among the others in your last post. Sentence have a grammar. Language has a grammar. Syntactic structures. These structures imposes limits upon us. The limits that proof imposes feels similar to those which are imposed by the structure of language language itself

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:00 am
@Scottydamion,
Wait a minute. just saw your post D

---------- Post added 02-21-2010 at 05:03 AM ----------

Deckard;130639 wrote:
I will pick out this one sentence among the others in your last post. Sentence have a grammar. Language has a grammar. Syntactic structures. These structures imposes limits upon us. The limits that proof imposes feels similar to those which are imposed by the structure of language language itself

I would say that intuitive proofs cause this same feeling in me. Tautologies and logic for instance. But what of metaphysics? I personally feel that style and what the idea offers the "heart" is more persuasive than perhaps we want to admit. Of course, the aesthetic of philosophy demands something that poetry does not demand, a certain internal consistency. But this consistency seems more complex than traditional notions of proof. To me at least. To what degree are we seduced by "truths?"

I would love to have you opinion on page 93 of this book:
Objectivity, relativism, and truth - Google Books

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:04 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;130639 wrote:

Then our trust is in the structure of language and whatever brought that structure into existence. If it was because we view the world on this particular scale, we may be screwed, lol!

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:06 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130645 wrote:
Then our trust is in the structure of language and whatever brought that structure into existence. If it was because we view the world on this particular scale, we may be screwed, lol!

I understand the first line, but the second isn't clear to me. I would like to know exactly what you mean --out of curiosity, of course, not to nit-pick.

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:10 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130646 wrote:
I understand the first line, but the second isn't clear to me. I would like to know exactly what you mean --out of curiosity, of course, not to nit-pick.

If quantum physics is more accurate than classical physics, then random events do occur and there isn't always a cause for every effect. Cause and effect is one of the most basic intuitive ideas, if that is wrong it follows that the structure of language may be wrong and all things stemming from it, like Logic.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:15 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130647 wrote:
If quantum physics is more accurate than classical physics, then random events do occur and there isn't always a cause for every effect. Cause and effect is one of the most basic intuitive ideas, if that is wrong it follows that the structure of language may be wrong and all things stemming from it, like Logic.

I see. Kant is up your alley. Causation as projection that works at the macro level and all is well. But zoom in and humanity meets a world its mind was not evolved for. Which could lead back to other cherished assumptions.

On the bright side, we usually have our reasons for questioning a prejudice. Sometimes, perhaps, just vanity, or the "imp of the perverse."

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 07:36 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;130582 wrote:
Yeah I botched it. It was an invalid argument. Maybe I'll start a thread in philosophy 101 about this and so I did

http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/philosophy-101/7679-what-difference-between-fallacious-arguement-invalid-arguement.html

If I say that A implies B and B implies C therefore A implies C is a valid argument then what am I trying to persuade you of? A implies C? What is A? what is C?

This is an example of a proof that is not used to persuade. The point is that this is still an argument but we have no idea what A B and C are. I'm trying to isolate proof from persuasion. I don't know if succeeded.

(Yikes Zetherin edited your post. Makes me think you said something nasty.)

What invalid argument? In any case all invalid arguments are fallacious arguments, so I still don't see what you are driving at. Capital letters, in logical schemata are stand-ins for propositions. Essentially abbreviations. All you have to do is to replace te letters with the propositions they stand in for. I have given examples of two arguments whose purpose was not to persuade.

Scottydamion

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130689 wrote:
What invalid argument? In any case all invalid arguments are fallacious arguments, so I still don't see what you are driving at. Capital letters, in logical schemata are stand-ins for propositions. Essentially abbreviations. All you have to do is to replace te letters with the propositions they stand in for. I have given examples of two arguments whose purpose was not to persuade.

And I responded to those two arguments.

I'm fairly sure he knows that capital letters are stand-ins. What I think he means is you still have to decide if those propositions are true meaning the argument is not sound just because its form is considered valid...

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:16 pm
@Reconstructo,
Oh yes! Let's replace our complicate human discourse with single letters. Let's pretend that words function as numbers do. This is surely the path to truth.

Let me translate the above into Letter Language.

A. B. C.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:24 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130727 wrote:
And I responded to those two arguments.

I'm fairly sure he knows that capital letters are stand-ins. What I think he means is you still have to decide if those propositions are true meaning the argument is not sound just because its form is considered valid...

What you should say is that you hope he knows and means that capital letters are stand-ins. What you hope he means is you still have to decide if those propositions are true meaning the argument is not sound just because its form is considered valid.

Alas! Forlorn hope. See his next post. (He still no understand).

Zetherin

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:41 pm
@Reconstructo,
Deckard wrote:
(Yikes Zetherin edited your post. Makes me think you said something nasty.)

All I did was fix a broken quote.

Reconstructo wrote:
I said truth is a property of sentences, not that truths are properties of sentences, but I think you know what I mean. Are you seriously asking if the Milky Way, to me, is the property of a sentence?

Yes, because you seemed to disagree that truths exist independent of the mind. Wasn't that the point?

Quinn phil

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 01:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;130772 wrote:

Yes, because you seemed to disagree that truths exist independent of the mind. Wasn't that the point?

Truths that exist independent of the mind. Got any examples?

Zetherin

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:06 pm
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;130784 wrote:
Truths that exist independent of the mind. Got any examples?

Countless.

It is true that trees exist. It is true that my table is made of glass. It is true that the chemical composition of water is H2O. It is true that the planet Earth exists. It is true that most birds can fly. Etc, etc.

You really don't believe reality exists outside of the mind? Most reasonable scientists agree that the Earth was here billions of years before any minds were. So, I'm curious as to how you would explain truths only exist dependent on the mind.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:29 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;130786 wrote:
Countless.

It is true that trees exist. It is true that my table is made of glass. It is true that the chemical composition of water is H2O. It is true that the planet Earth exists. It is true that most birds can fly. Etc, etc.

You really don't believe reality exists outside of the mind? Most reasonable scientists agree that the Earth was here billions of years before any minds were. So, I'm curious as to how you would explain truths only exist dependent on the mind.

I suppose that your reminding Quinn that Earth existed for many years before people counts as a case of what Wittgenstein calls, "an assemblage of reminders". I suppose Quinn knew that before. Only he forgot, or, at least, forgot to connect it up with the issue. Watch though. Recontructo and a bunch or others will continue to say that the existence of objects depend on the mind, and forget this obvious point that refutes that view. They will have to be reminded again. Such bad memories.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 11:11:19