Persuasion as Proof

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Quinn phil

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130423 wrote:
What a peculiar question! You are not saying that the evidence for God is anything like the evidence for the Holocaust, are you? Have you anything else to say? No complaints, though.

No, because the Jews did a much better job at persuading me than the church did.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;130434 wrote:
No, because the Jews did a much better job at persuading me than the church did.

Sorry. Don't quite get what you are saying. Do you think that the evidence for the Holocaust is, or is not, better than the evidence for God? I don't see what the Jews and Church have to do with the issue.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:10 pm
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;130419 wrote:
You have a funny way of making things sound completely absurd. Do you call yourself rational? I think your "rationality" lies more in your persuasion. All the short posts you do that are blunt and try to undermine someone's sentence. It's persuasive for your argument. See what I mean?

I can testify to this. A local wit has dubbed him the "I-don't-get-it troll."

---------- Post added 02-20-2010 at 10:12 PM ----------

Quinn;130434 wrote:

Good response. Another note: those who believe in God believe he is as real or more real than the holocaust. For believers the "proof" in God is no more metaphysic than the proof for the Holocaust.

And isn't it revealing that some hyper-emotional subject like the holocaust is brought in? Rhetoric! And rhetoric in the name of pure reason. Oh brother!

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130446 wrote:
I can testify to this. A local wit has dubbed him the "I-don't-get-it troll."

---------- Post added 02-20-2010 at 10:12 PM ----------

Good response. Another note: those who believe in God believe he is as real or more real than the holocaust. For believers the "proof" in God is no more metaphysic than the proof for the Holocaust.

And isn't it revealing that some hyper-emotional subject like the holocaust is brought in? Rhetoric! And rhetoric in the name of pure reason. Oh brother!

It's only an example that came to mind. I could have used the example that the Earth is a sphere rather than a trapezoid. Don't make such a big deal out of it. That some people think that the proof of God is greater than the proof that there was a Holocaust shows only that there are are some silly people in the world. And, of course, to think that such a fact shows anything about argument as being only persuasion is also silly.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:42 pm
@Reconstructo,
Jim looked at a book by Euclid, and found it persuasive. Then Jim picked up a book on politics, from a conservative point of view, and found it persuasive.

But John found a book on politics from a liberal point of view persuasive. Both were, at the moment, as persuaded by these political books as Jim was persuaded by Euclid.

Greg found Euclid much more persuasive than either political book. He found the notion that politics were more subjective than geometry as persuasive as Euclid.

Pyrrho

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:58 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130363 wrote:
Yes, I'm shining a light on this animal known as "proof" and trying to see whether there's really any difference between it and that less respectable animal "persuasion."

Of course I know the standard supposed differences between the two, but I wonder if "proof" is just ideal of "perfect" persuasion. Geometrical proofs are perhaps that most persuasive statements after tautologies. But do we see them as proofs only because we find them utterly persuasive? What if half of the population didn't find Euclid's "proofs" persuasive? Can someone prove to me that proof is functionally different than persuasion without persuading me?...

Many people are not persuaded by proofs like in geometry, so no, they are not "ideal" or perfect persuasion. If they were perfect persuasion, then everyone, without exception, would be persuaded by them. I have personally met people who believe contradictory things, and they do not care that they are contradictory. Perfect proof is no guarantee of being persuasive.

What is persuasive is, by definition, dependent upon who one is talking about, and what is a proof is not. Persuasion is a matter of psychology, and proof is something altogether different. Proof is persuasive to rational people, which, by the way, is merely a tautology, not an observation about the world. But proof is irrelevant to very irrational people. Yet they can be persuaded of some things.

Your last question involves two things that it may be useful to comment on. First, "prove to" is often used to mean "persuade", so your question amounts to:

[INDENT][INDENT]Can someone persuade me that proof is functionally different than persuasion without persuading me?[/INDENT][/INDENT]

The answer is obviously "no".

The other thing is that talking about the function of something is a different matter than its meaning. In this case, however, it does not matter, because they do not serve the same function, as the example of people believing contradictory things proves. A proof that does not persuade is not performing the same function as persuasion.

Quinn phil

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130450 wrote:
It's only an example that came to mind. I could have used the example that the Earth is a sphere rather than a trapezoid. Don't make such a big deal out of it. That some people think that the proof of God is greater than the proof that there was a Holocaust shows only that there are are some silly people in the world. And, of course, to think that such a fact shows anything about argument as being only persuasion is also silly.

Had I suggested anything, it's that the "proof" for God and the "proof" for the Holocaust are an equal. That's not the case for persuasion on both cases, which makes the key difference. Why? Because the Holocaust happened here on Earth. It happened just last century.

Is it easier to persuade someone of an event that happened here on Earth, last century, or that there's an all-powerful being living up in the sky, watching our every move? For some, it varies. But I am definetely more persuaded that the Holocaust was real, than that there is a god. But then again, like most of these discussions, it can boil down to a couple of things: definition, and subjectivity.

Scottydamion

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:04 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;130467 wrote:
Many people are not persuaded by proofs like in geometry, so no, they are not "ideal" or perfect persuasion. If they were perfect persuasion, then everyone, without exception, would be persuaded by them. I have personally met people who believe contradictory things, and they do not care that they are contradictory. Perfect proof is no guarantee of being persuasive.

What is persuasive is, by definition, dependent upon who one is talking about, and what is a proof is not. Persuasion is a matter of psychology, and proof is something altogether different. Proof is persuasive to rational people, which, by the way, is merely a tautology, not an observation about the world. But proof is irrelevant to very irrational people. Yet they can be persuaded of some things.

Your last question involves two things that it may be useful to comment on. First, "prove to" is often used to mean "persuade", so your question amounts to:
[INDENT][INDENT]Can someone persuade me that proof is functionally different than persuasion without persuading me?
[/INDENT][/INDENT]The answer is obviously "no".

The other thing is that talking about the function of something is a different matter than its meaning. In this case, however, it does not matter, because they do not serve the same function, as the example of people believing contradictory things proves. A proof that does not persuade is not performing the same function as persuasion.

Give me an example of a proof that is not meant to persuade, even if it fails to do so.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:29 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;130467 wrote:
Persuasion is a matter of psychology, and proof is something altogether different.

To me this is an unproven or not very persuasive opinion. But I welcome your thoughts.

---------- Post added 02-20-2010 at 11:30 PM ----------

Pyrrho;130467 wrote:

What is persuasive is, by definition, dependent upon who one is talking about, and what is a proof is not.

This is perhaps the usual notion, but I find this usual notion questionable. A proof doesn't exist in a vacuum but rather as a part of human discourse.

---------- Post added 02-20-2010 at 11:34 PM ----------

Pyrrho;130467 wrote:
Proof is persuasive to rational people, which, by the way, is merely a tautology, not an observation about the world.

What you find sufficiently persuasive you call proven. Those who are not persuaded you call irrational. Others who disagree will call you irrational.

Do you believe in a neutral standpoint? Can an individual human make a claim on universal truth? Of course they often try to persuade us that they can. Except I am not exactly persuaded just now. I suspect that the difference between proof and persuasion is a useful fiction.

---------- Post added 02-20-2010 at 11:35 PM ----------

Scottydamion;130471 wrote:
Give me an example of a proof that is not meant to persuade, even if it fails to do so.

The ironic thing is, he would be offering this non-persuasive proof in an effort to persuade.

Scottydamion

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;130390 wrote:
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are saying. Otherwise I would reply. Who assumes knowledge, and who assumes proof? And what is my formulization, and what does it mean to make a logical proof of a formulization? Baffled, I am afraid.

Should persuade if you were rational. But some people do not want to be, or just cannot be, persuaded by rational argument. They may not understand it, or they may be committed to the opposite conclusion.

You assume an argument is rational and should therefore be persuasive.

1. That argument persuades me therefore it is rational
2. That argument is rational therefore it is persuasive

You take the time to call people "silly" as if you were the god of rationality. That is why this comes back to the distinction between certainty and knowledge, no matter how certain you are that your ideas are rational, do try and keep an open mind or you look the fool by calling others "silly".

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130471 wrote:

Descartes writes that his proofs of God are not meant to persuade, since he realizes that those professors at the Sorbonne for whom he composed the proofs were already persuaded that God exists. But his purpose in composing the proofs was to put the belief in God on a firm basis.

Descartes explains this in his introduction to his Meditations.

So, there you go!

I may be persuaded that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. But, just to make sure, I may look it up in the Atlas. There you go again!

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:03 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;130489 wrote:
You assume an argument is rational and should therefore be persuasive.

1. That argument persuades me therefore it is rational
2. That argument is rational therefore it is persuasive

You take the time to call people "silly" as if you were the god of rationality. That is why this comes back to the distinction between certainty and knowledge, no matter how certain you are that your ideas are rational, do try and keep an open mind or you look the fool by calling others "silly".

I agree. "Rational" is generally used as a term of praise for positions we find persuasive. The rational and the persuasive seem to be one. Just as "reason" (mysterious faculty) seems to be just an abstraction that refers to our many many reasons.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:09 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130503 wrote:
I agree. "Rational" is generally used as a term of praise for positions we find persuasive. The rational and the persuasive seem to be one. Just as "reason" (mysterious faculty) seems to be just an abstraction that refers to our many many reasons.

But of course "rational" is a term of praise. But that doesn't mean that it also cannot be truly applied to an argument, does it? "Intelligent" is also a term of praise, but isn't it true that Einstein was intelligent? And that to call him intelligent was to praise him? The same term may have a dual use. To describe, and to express an attitude toward what is described. You don't think that the one use excludes the other, do you?

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:15 pm
@Reconstructo,
Fred wrote a book that proved the existence of God. Jack wrote a book that proved that God was not provable. Fred wrote a book that what was provable or not could not be proven.
Both had their motives. One liked the idea of God and the other did not. From there, it was rationalization/rationality.
Both were right in their own minds.
Who is high enough above the rest of us to tell us the real truth? Well, I'll you.

Whoever can convince us of this. To the degree that we believe an idea, this idea is our reality. It's part of our experience, our interpretation of the world.

"Objective" reality is a socially necessary concept. Also, our survival depends on prioritizing some ideas about others. But "objective" reality remains a concept created by man, however useful. Our courtrooms need it. Our engineers need it. God bless it!

But philosophy doesn't need to drop to its knees and worship it. Perhaps the ultimate quest of "Reason" is its own self-investigation.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:22 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130513 wrote:
Fred wrote a book that proved the existence of God. Jack wrote a book that proved that God was not provable. Fred wrote a book that what was provable or not could not be proven.
Both had their motives. One liked the idea of God and the other did not. From there, it was rationalization/rationality.
Both were right in their own minds.
Who is high enough above the rest of us to tell us the real truth? Well, I'll you.

Whoever can convince us of this. To the degree that we believe an idea, this idea is our reality. It's part of our experience, our interpretation of the world.

"Objective" reality is a socially necessary concept. Also, our survival depends on prioritizing some ideas about others. But "objective" reality remains a concept created by man, however useful. Our courtrooms need it. Our engineers need it. God bless it!

But philosophy doesn't need to drop to its knees and worship it. Perhaps the ultimate quest of "Reason" is its own self-investigation.

Yes indeed. And Joseph Goebels and company convinced most of the German people that they were the master race, and that Jews were untermenchen. And that was reality?

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
The idea that rationality is something different than rationalization can itself be described as a foundational rationalization. "Universal reason" may be a convenient fiction as the self may be a convenient fiction.
I'm not attacking the use of these concepts, but only scrutinizing them closely. After all, "proof" and "rationality" serve as foundations. Is the neutral-standpoint just another God-like fiction used for control? For self-congratulation? For self-esteem? Does formal logic serve, for some, the way rosary beads might for others?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:41 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;130528 wrote:
The idea that rationality is something different than rationalization can itself be described as a foundational rationalization. "Universal reason" may be a convenient fiction as the self may be a convenient fiction.
I'm not attacking the use of these concepts, but only scrutinizing them closely. After all, "proof" and "rationality" serve as foundations. Is the neutral-standpoint just another God-like fiction used for control? For self-congratulation? For self-esteem? Does formal logic serve, for some, the way rosary beads might for others?

Those who care about such vague, and probably because so vague, unanswerable questions should, if they like, undertake them. What about Joseph Goebels and company?

Deckard

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:44 pm
@Reconstructo,
I'm going to try to articulate a position that differs from my previous position on this matter.

Can we list some other things that are considered to be persuasive? Perhaps through observing other things we consider to be persuasive we can better understand how persuasion and proof is related.

Appeals to the emotions (e.g. compassion, outrage, pride) can be persuasive.
Appeals to the reputation of a source (e.g. the authoritativeness of a text, an ad hominem attack, the honesty of a witness) can be persuasive.
Appeals to logic (e.g. pointing out fallacious reasoning, the soundness of a proof?)

Consider then the following:

Emotions (sadness, anger) exist independent of persuasion exists even if it is not used to persuade someone.
Reputation (e.g. honesty) exists even if it is not used to persuade someone.
Logic (e.g. sound or fallacious reasoning, a proof) exists even if it is not used to persuade someone.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:50 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;130532 wrote:
I'm going to try to articulate a position that differs from my previous position on this matter.

Can we list some other things that are considered to be persuasive? Perhaps through observing other things we consider to be persuasive we can better understand how persuasion and proof is related.

Appeals to the emotions (e.g. compassion, outrage, pride) can be persuasive.
Appeals to the reputation of a source (e.g. the authoritativeness of a text, an ad hominem attack, the honesty of a witness) can be persuasive.
Appeals to logic (e.g. pointing out fallacious reasoning, the soundness of a proof?)

Consider then the following:

Emotions (sadness, anger) exist independent of persuasion exists even if it is not used to persuade someone.
Reputation (e.g. honesty) exists even if it is not used to persuade someone.
Logic (e.g. sound or fallacious reasoning, a proof) exists even if it is not used to persuade someone.

And don't forget guns which have been called "persuaders". And, in Europe, you can find cannon from the Middle Ages on which were, in Latin, inscribe, "The Final Argument of Kings". In logic books, such arguments are called, "argumentum baculum". They are counted as fallacious.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:55 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;130532 wrote:

But do we call that reasoning fallacious to the degree that it fails to persuade us? Not that Witt is the end-all be-all, but he defined logic as tautological. To the degree that it is tautological it can only make us aware of what we already know. Of course this too could be described as persuasion, but tautologies are so persuasive that I won't go into that.

Does the separation of persuasion and proof require the positing of a neutral standpoint? Is proof just a matter of consensus?

I agree that Euclid's proofs, for instance, are on the books even when not being considered. But as they are ingested or considered, they seem to function as persuasion functions.

Let's grant that logical tautologies and geometrical proofs are so persuasive that they can serve as foundations, even if theoretically doubt-able. I still think as one builds from there, one stumbles into the persuasion-proof spectrum. What do you think?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:50:44