Dangerous knowledge?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Dangerous knowledge?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:30 pm
Is any knowledge dangerous?

Not rather the hands that are lifted because of it?

Does the knowledge dictate us or do we dictate the knowledge?

Are we a knowledge unto ourselves?

Can knowledge ever even be created?

Is the only consequence of knowledge safety or danger?

Again is knowledge anything more than that which it is put towards?

Big questions each in of their own right, one leads to the next, answer one or many, if you will.

3k1yp2

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 10:45 pm
@sometime sun,
im thinking knowledge can be likely to result in dangerous circumstances due to the ways such knowledge is likely to inspire a human mind. in other words, it's kind of a semantics thing. is something dangerous because of its potential for damage (like a gun for instance?), or is a gun only dangerous to someone who chooses to use it in the wrong way? i personally go for option 2 because i believe that people are generally free to make their own choices, its kind of this thing i believe...

Fido

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:00 am
@sometime sun,
Ignorance in the guise of knowledge is not just dangerous, but deadly...

QuinticNon

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:33 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;121427 wrote:

No. Not inherently on its own.

Not rather the hands that are lifted because of it?

Hands can indeed help (assist) in spreading knowledge. They can also pass knowledge along without any assistance from verbal or written language.

Does the knowledge dictate us or do we dictate the knowledge?

It can happen both ways. But the knowledge itself, always springs from mind.

Are we a knowledge unto ourselves?

If DNA is a Code, and all Codes have Authors, then yes, we can be, "a knowledge unto ourselves". But that knowledge may not be from ourselves. It may be from another.

Can knowledge ever even be created?

Show me one that wasn't.

Is the only consequence of knowledge safety or danger?

No. Some would say Enlightenment.

Again is knowledge anything more than that which it is put towards?

Again, yes. Knowledge is everything we make it.

Again, it can be.

Big questions each in of their own right, one leads to the next, answer one or many, if you will.

You are drunk.

jgweed

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:14 am
@sometime sun,
It all depends on what you mean by "knowledge." If by knowledge, for example, one means only matters of fact, then it is hard to conceive that this kind of knowledge would be "dangerous" (to whom, one might ask).

sometime sun

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 06:30 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;121465 wrote:

You are drunk.

I drink therefore i am.

But only fridays, special occasions and deep depressions.
(so i am only therefore at those times?)

---------- Post added 01-23-2010 at 12:39 AM ----------

jgweed;121495 wrote:
It all depends on what you mean by "knowledge." If by knowledge, for example, one means only matters of fact, then it is hard to conceive that this kind of knowledge would be "dangerous" (to whom, one might ask).

Not what i mean knowledge to mean, to be, knowledge to me, surely knowledge means more that just fact, a rock does not have perseption of us, we do have a perception of the rock, it is not the rock that matters or really means anything, it is our perseption of the anything that makes it mean anything and makes it any kind breed lie, as long as it is perceived.
Not what i mean knowledge to mean, what does it mean to you given for me to know what you mean, not always as you mean but what you m ean is enough.
So give it. Knowledge means more than the fact of the matter, for not all and the important knowledges aren't made from matter even if because of them.
Some things are and are not facts, some things are and are not matter, some things are and are not physical, but some things are knowledge with out any of the previous.

So please decribe for me what knowledge is one more time for the hard of hearing such as i am.Smile

---------- Post added 01-23-2010 at 12:41 AM ----------

Fido;121459 wrote:
Ignorance in the guise of knowledge is not just dangerous, but deadly...

So ignorance is not knowledge, but still a way of existing?
Can you exist without knowledge, even if it is the knowing how not to.
Can you be ignorant from choice?
Choice being a knowledge.

Fido

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:40 pm
@sometime sun,
Ignorance is not knowledge, but moral ignorance seeks only so much knowledge as can give it power...It is not the thing in itself they desire, but its secondary effect....Think; Knowledge is good...Why??? It is because if we have moral knowledge, we know how to use all other knowledge for Good...Power is neither good nor bad, but is active, and mindless, and so, dangerous and deadly...If knowledge is good, it is because moral knowledge limits far more than in allows...

kennethamy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 12:16 am
@sometime sun,
All knowledge may be intrinsically good (good independently of its effects); but some may be extrinsically bad (bad because of its effects). So, the question of whether knowledge is good or bad (dangerous or innocuous) is ambiguous, and it depends on whether you mean intrinsically dangerous, or extrinsically dangerous. And the answers are respectively, no, and yes (some).

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Dangerous knowledge?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:46:16