True Belief and Knowledge

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Emil

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;107792 wrote:
I said that I don't think that sentence has a logical subject.
Quote:
If I thought the sentence expressed a proposition I would not be making these objections.

Right. But you need to explain why it doesn't.

Quote:
I guess I should. But the belief that some contradictions are true goes against my religion (sanity).

Religion is bad, bad, bad. You should read it. Well, some of it. It is overly bloody technical. Even I have to skip certain chapters because I don't understand the symbols. I'm going to work on that!

Quote:
As I pointed out with the example of Spinoza, it does not follow from the fact that something is interesting, that Emil will read it.

Maybe given infinite time... Wink

kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:11 am
@Emil,
Emil;107794 wrote:

It may appear to have a subject grammatically speaking (this statement) but really has none.

The religion of sanity (whatever you think of other religions) is not bad....etc.

You have just given me another reason not to read it.

"If we had but world enough and time, this dalliance, ... would be no crime". At least Spinoza is quite clear that no contradictions are true.

Owen phil

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:46 am
@Emil,
Emil;105967 wrote:
I think it is implausible. I've been reading up on dialetheism. Very exciting stuff. Not to be dismissed easily.

"this statement" (or "this proposition" refers to whatever proposition expressed by the very sentence. Do you think that is a problem? It does not seem so to me.

I agree with Ken here.

'This statement' has no reference.
This statement is true, is gibberish.

"The proposition expressed by this sentence is true." has no meaning.

It is syntactic nonsense.
It is not a Well Formed Formula.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 02:49:20