Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:08 am
My name is Leoben and I've not had a drink---Wink I'm here due to special circumstances. I wanted to get my intellectual jollies off and the former forum I used banned me (very long story but I definitely did not deserve it), so I found this forum through google searching. I don't like to lurk, I prefer to just jump into the pool and start swimming, so I have no idea what to expect here.

I consider myself an atheist. I don't have much tolerance for superstitious nonsense.

I consider myself a Hobbesian totalitarian. I think government should be benevolent, but I think a republic is ultimately self-defeating.

I hope people here are civil. I tried joining other forums and people tend to post one-liners and have ****y attitudes or "look at my big gigantic ego".

Anyways, hello.

Activate me please.

Justin

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:22 am
@Mephistopheles phil,
Warm welcome to you Leoben and welcome to the Philosophy Forum. Thank you for the introduction and sorry to hear you were banned from another forum. It happens sometimes.

Welcome non-the-less and hope to see you get involved in the forum. You'll rarely see too many one liners here as many of us are long winded. Smile

Mephistopheles phil

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:27 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Warm welcome to you Leoben and welcome to the Philosophy Forum. Thank you for the introduction and sorry to hear you were banned from another forum. It happens sometimes.

Welcome non-the-less and hope to see you get involved in the forum. You'll rarely see too many one liners here as many of us are long winded. Smile

Thank you Justin. I already notice people here are exceptionally gifted. I have been trying to post a thread in Logic but I can't apparently.

That's good. I'm sick of low-quality forums.

boagie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:39 am
@Mephistopheles phil,
Mephistopheles,Smile

SadI am afraid you will not do, a Hobbesian totalitarian-------I'll bet you voted for bush didn't you---------just kidding You sound like an interesting addition to our forum here. Yes, you will find the place civil, not that hostilities do not arise here but that they are delt with. I shall be looking forward to reading your views on things. Welcome Leoben!! Beam the man up Justin!!

Mephistopheles phil

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:00 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Mephistopheles,Smile

SadI am afraid you will not do, a Hobbesian totalitarian-------I'll bet you voted for bush didn't you---------just kidding You sound like an interesting addition to our forum here. Yes, you will find the place civil, not that hostilities do not arise here but that they are delt with. I shall be looking forward to reading your views on things. Welcome Leoben!! Beam the man up Justin!!

Heh I was almost convinced you were serious for half a second.

I actually am extremely liberal. When I say totalitarian in relation to Hobbes, I mean I believe in a liberal, social, benevolent society. That's obviously utopian, but I can dream can't I?

I've been importing my rants. I have a couple more I think. I hope they are satisfactory. One rant might upset the younger readers so I put a warning on it. I have extremely cynical beliefs.

boagie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:35 pm
@Mephistopheles phil,
Mephistopheles,Smile

:)You might want to limit what you import, even if it is your own from another site. This is a forum basically of mutual dialogue. If each person saw themselves as a gatherer of information for the benifit of others, the nature of this site would be directly and quickly changed. You are an interesting chap, that is your largest asset here, let it be your ideas, your reasoning that is put forth. Extremly long posts are not often seen here, and there is a reason for that. Supplying reading materials for other people is a bit like insisting your friends read the books that you like.

Mephistopheles phil

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Mephistopheles,Smile

:)You might want to limit what you import, even if it is your own from another site. This is a forum basically of mutual dialogue. If each person saw themselves as a gatherer of information for the benifit of others, the nature of this site would be directly and quickly changed. You are an interesting chap, that is your largest asset here, let it be your ideas, your reasoning that is put forth. Extremly long posts are not often seen here, and there is a reason for that. Supplying reading materials for other people is a bit like insisting your friends read the books that you like.

I understand. In any case, I have nothing left to import. I'm sorry if my many writings are cluttering the forum. I just wanted to put my writings out for people to read if they so wish.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:52 pm
@Mephistopheles phil,
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you.

Mephistopheles phil

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:44 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you.

Thanks Tom. It's good being here, I see a lot of potential in this forum.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 05:47 pm
@Mephistopheles phil,
Yeah. I've spent time on a number of other forums, and this is by far my favorite. A growing community with great admin. Justin is about the nicest guy you can imagine, and my fellow moderators are a great lot.

Hope you enjoy the forums as much as I do. Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:55:11