Intuition, Vibes, and Prediction

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Intuition, Vibes, and Prediction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Kroni

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 05:13 pm
We've all had those feelings. You see a person and just sense you shouldn't get involved with them. You know you need to slow down right before highway patrol turns the corner. But what do we chalk it up to? Is it coincidence? Is it a collection of learned behaviors and consequences that we subconsciously use to categorize events? Or is there still something left to be explained about the mind? Perhaps something that goes beyond logical reasoning?

mister kitten

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 05:39 pm
@Kroni,
It's probably something we just learn or memorize.

I finished watched a video on this right before I saw this thread.

Rebecca Saxe: How we read each other's minds | Video on TED.com

Justin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:37 am
@Kroni,
Kroni;101623 wrote:
We've all had those feelings. You see a person and just sense you shouldn't get involved with them. You know you need to slow down right before highway patrol turns the corner. But what do we chalk it up to? Is it coincidence? Is it a collection of learned behaviors and consequences that we subconsciously use to categorize events? Or is there still something left to be explained about the mind? Perhaps something that goes beyond logical reasoning?

Energy and recollection. Everyone vibrates on a unique and autonomous level and some have the ability to recognize subtle energies that cannot be measured by scientific methods. These feeling could also be inferior feelings of recognizing oneself in another and not being comfortable with it.

This is a universe of energy. Some people are more aware of that than others and some chalk it up to intuition or something else... but it's all energy.

Bhaktajan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:55 am
@Kroni,
"to recognize subtle energies"

Caroline Myss explains that we should pay attention to the lost of our energy (and/or the 'Investing' of our energy) from a chakra center. Because that cakra center is allocated to the sphere of influence that is associated the experience.

We are always sesning the vibe AND we always, just as quickly, get distracted. One must practice such sensitivity away from the daily grind.

Fido

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:41 pm
@Kroni,
The awarness of the future is the result of a cultured skill... We learn to be aware, and learn what to be aware of... I could give you an example... You might learn something by it; but it is enough to know that it is a matter of practical experience... And some are better at it than others...As an old hand told me, it is life by the braille method... You feel your way through, and some times the emotions speak better truth than does reason...There is a time to take council of your fears, and of all your emotions, and that is most of the time...

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:47 pm
@Kroni,
Kroni;101623 wrote:
You know you need to slow down right before highway patrol turns the corner. But what do we chalk it up to? Is it coincidence?

What of the hundreds of times you slow down while driving and highway patrol doesn't turn the corner?

Is "selective significance" a real term for this phenomenon, or did I just make it up?

Kroni

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:56 pm
@TickTockMan,
Perhaps that is true in many cases. One possibility I offered up is that we have subconsciously categorized events and outcomes in such a way so that we may be more inclined to expect a particular result. The majority of times I have slowed down while driving has not been in fear of causing an accident but a fear of being pulled over. Therefore when I see a police officer after I slow down I would naturally associate it with the fact that at some level I had been expecting it.
But while these things can easily enough be summarized as coincidences or learned behaviors, it is not so easy to disprove the entire notion of intuition. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has sensed when someone is looking at you from behind or with your eyes closed.

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:59 pm
@Kroni,
Kroni;101853 wrote:
Perhaps that is true in many cases. One possibility I offered up is that we have subconsciously categorized events and outcomes in such a way so that we may be more inclined to expect a particular result. The majority of times I have slowed down while driving has not been in fear of causing an accident but a fear of being pulled over. Therefore when I see a police officer after I slow down I would naturally associate it with the fact that at some level I had been expecting it.
But while these things can easily enough be summarized as coincidences or learned behaviors, it is not so easy to disprove the entire notion of intuition. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has sensed when someone is looking at you from behind or with your eyes closed.

Again though . . . how many hundreds of times has someone been looking at you without your sensing it at all?

Exebeche

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:56 pm
@Fido,
Fido;101832 wrote:
As an old hand told me, it is life by the braille method... You feel your way through, and some times the emotions speak better truth than does reason...There is a time to take council of your fears, and of all your emotions, and that is most of the time...

I find this 'braille'-idea a very brilliant way of describing it.
I have to add that much of what is seen as intuition is actually recognition by instinct.
We should distinguish that.
For example in Kroni's OP:
Kroni;101623 wrote:
You see a person and just sense you shouldn't get involved with them.

Nature has equipped us with a lot of knowledge about how to judge situations.
Many are based on perceptions that are not conscious: Body language and size of your oponent, etc.
All of that is information processed instinctively.
Intuition however acts on a more complex level.
The way i see it, it's a kind of intelligence which is opposite to analytical intelligence.
As oppose to dividing something into its pieces intuition is based on putting pieces of a puzzle together.
Intuition is often based on information you receive but also on what you don't receive.
For example you enter a restaurant and you have this feeling that something is missing, like people just don't talk. There is no conversation in this restaurant.
Classical movie situation.
You will probably not stay for too long.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:23 pm
@Kroni,
We are never finished naming such "feelings" or "intuitions." We are never finished naming in general. Adam is still in the garden, inventing himself.

"Words, words, words..." (Hamlet)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Intuition, Vibes, and Prediction
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:16:25