Law of thinking I&II and the six elements of thinking

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Law of thinking I&II and the six elements of thinking

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:11 am
Law of thinking I&II and the six elements of thinking

It is an axiom that the principle of human's thinking must be th(sth.)=i. The meaning of thinking is the unique way for any communication between the world of spirit and the world of substance. This is an axiom too. But the law of existence of thinking is not an axiom. Axiom refers to something that can hardly be proved but no needed to be proved as almost everybody agree with it. Axiom is quite a common concept in Geometry, for example if you linked a fixed point with any other point (fixed or moving), you must draw out a line then. No ratiocination is suitable. Of course it lacks visible and convincing evidence too (keep on drawing lines crazily is not a convincing but a "mad evidence", though visible on the paper, I supposed). But the law of thinking I is an inductive conclusion. Nor can it be proved by the pure and direct deductive reasoning, but can be proved by several sensible evidences. This law suggests that thinking exist anywhere and anytime in our daily life. Different from the two axioms before, we can really find some daily example as evidence. But as a rationalist, I must emphasize that this is not a good reasoning. The conclusion of inductive reasoning can only be "probably true" but not "necessarily true", unlike the deductive reasoning. But we have no choice. In the analysis of thinking, both deduction and induction are necessary.

As I have asked before, does a common system of thinking exist? It should exist, I think. The system of thinking should be fixed, or else the finding of a common principle of the thinking is meaningless. We have already known that the process of thinking must be the same, however it seems that we cannot infer a valid conclusion about the existence of a common system of thinking.

The TFS wants to find a common system of thinking and make a simplified interception. But before this we have to prove the existence of a common system of thinking, as letting a hypothesis as a basis of a new reasoning without proving is not wise enough, unless there is no choice. As the most fundamental basis is just a hypothesis, if it is denied, the whole theory collapsed. But deductive reasoning seems to be impossible. The only method is inductive reasoning then. That's why this time we are going to discuss about the law of thinking II.

The law of thinking II suggesting that there are six fundamental elements exist in human thinking: creativity, desire, emotion, feeling, memory and logic. Therefore this is also called as hexa-taxonomy. Let's explain the reasoning of each element:

Firstly, creativity. It is the origin of all artificial concepts and ideas. All human can create some concepts and ideas, though somebody may be weak in innovation. Once you come up with something new, for example you suddenly come up with the idea to hide a frog in your teacher's drawer to make her feel scared. This is a consequence of creativity. Creativity feels like a producing machine of thinking.

Creativity is very important in the innovation of Visible Art, Music and Literature. But actually In Mathematics, Natural Science and Social Science, even daily living, creativity is necessary.

Secondly, desire. It is the fundamental force of all human action, including thinking which is the origin pf action. Everybody has got their own desire. This is not a new idea. Thomas Hobbes had the same suggestion already. It is easy to experience the effect of Desire in our daily life, from the physiological one like desire to eat to the psychological one like sexual desire. Without desire we have no force to do anything, even thinking. It can be classified as two: possessiveness and satisfaction. The former refers to a urge in occupying something instead of sharing (which must somehow offends the other's the same desire. For example two girls fall in love with a boy at the same time, and their possessiveness must offend the other's), whilst the latter means an urge in satisfying your own wish only (which doesn't offend the other's desire directly).

Possessiveness can be classified as curiosity, sovereignty and privacy. Satisfaction can be classified as physiological and psychological. Desire is necessary for everybody, though it may be the most difficult element for analysis compared to the other. Even doing mathematical exercise requires desire of curiosity about the answer of the question (though many students lack such a desire). Of course curiosity is one kind of desire, and so does Desire feels like a starter of thinking.

[Moderator edit: sexually explicit graphic removed. jgw]
Sexual Desire is a kind of phychological sacrifaction, as it doesn't tend to occupy anything without sharing, generally speaking.

Thirdly, emotion. It assists or forms all expressions. Even a rational person have emotion. It helps us explain something that can never be explained by rationality, for example your feelings about a sentences full of f-word. It seems to be less important but it is necessary for our daily expression, especially in our informal and spoken language (sometimes in formal and written language too). Without emotion we just look like robots. Emotion feels like a monitor of thinking.

patriarch

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:12 am
@patriarch,
Emotion is a colour of our life.

Fourthly, feeling. It "feels" (collect) the things to start a thinking. This is the unique way that we obtain all information from the outside. The information collected by feeling is called message. Some messages are sensible. There are five main categories: visible, auditory, tasting, olfactory and touchable. Seeing a beautiful girl is visible. Listening Hayley Westenra's music is auditory. Eating cha siu (Chinese barbecued pork) is tasting. Smelling the perfume is olfactory whilst a girl fondling her boyfriend's (maybe boyfriends' is better) buttocks.

Five sense let us receive different kinds of message from the world of substance.

However, some feeling is insensible, for example receiving a new concept. Although you may argue that the way of knowing about this concept must be through some sensible media such as written words on the book which is visible, the main point is that what the message we get is not the "image of a word" but the abstract concept behind it. What we want is an insensible concept only, therefore such a feeling is considered as insensible, quite common when we doing academic research. Feeling feels like a receiver of thinking.

Fifthly, memory. It memorises and reminds information. We need to memorise something and remind them when we need. Studying is a good example; when we are learning Chinese, we need to recite the structure of the Chinese Character, Grammar rules and the pronunciation. If we need to use the language, we recollect all these knowledge. However memory can save our experience too besides knowledge. Knowledge is the information collected from outside while experience is the information collected from your own practice. You can speak Chinese because you have the knowledge of the vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation etc, but the method of using this language is the experience. It must not be known by collecting superior information but interior practice. Memory feels like a database.

This picture, The Persistance of Memory, by Dali, shows one significant power of memory: it overcomes the variation of time.

patriarch

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:12 am
@patriarch,
Sixthly, logic. It organise the information, analyse it and make a decision. Everybody must use logical thinking in our daily life, though may be very simple. For example, why I would rather choose that girl as my girlfriend? Although love is not related to logic, choice must be related with logic. In our logical thinking, firstly we organise all the information. For example that girl looks beautiful and sexy. Then I analyse. "Beautiful and sexy" match my requirements for a girl friend. So I decide to choose her as my girl friend. Logic feels like a calculator.

Penguins is not good at logic, and it seems to be the case of human too. However, what we are certain is that logic is very important in our life. Even a stupid guy come up with a ratiocination like this, at least it is still a logical ratiocination...

To sum up, according to the law of thinking II, there are six elements of thinking: creativity, desire, emotion, feeling, memory and logic. Note the law of thinking II only means the classification of the six elements of thinking but not the nature of each element. Their natures are only the consequence of our analysis. Here is a conclusive table for their natures:

Elements
Categories
Subcategories
Creativity

Desire
Possessiveness
Curiosity
Sovereignty
Privacy
Satisfaction
Physiological
Psychological
Emotion

Feeling
Sensible
Visible
Auditory
Tasting
Olfactory
Touchable
Insensible

Memory
Knowledge

Experience

Logic
Organisation

Analysis

Decision

The most difficult topic is not the law itself but the nature of each element. We will analyse each of them deeply at the end of the essay, except a nature of these elements: the rationality, for the preparation of the TFS.

7th October, 2009
Patriarch

patriarch

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:13 pm
@patriarch,
somebody has deleted the picture!!
Ingoring great discovery is acceptable, but editing the other's essay is unacceptable!!!!

Justin

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:08 am
@patriarch,
Please accept my apologies but we indeed removed the images and we are no longer allowing images to be embedded in posts. You can add the images as attachments but do use images with watermarks and copyrights. Again, please feel free to upload the images and attach them to the post.

patriarch

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 09:04 am
@Justin,
Justin;95989 wrote:
Please accept my apologies but we indeed removed the images and we are no longer allowing images to be embedded in posts. You can add the images as attachments but do use images with watermarks and copyrights. Again, please feel free to upload the images and attach them to the post.

Such an explaination is unacceptable.
Why can't I add the images as attachments? Uploading every picture one by one waste my precious time. By the way I cannot accept any revision that intervene my own essay. Such a barbaric action should be condemned. :thats-enough:

patriarch

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:56 pm
@patriarch,
Don't pretened to be silent.

Justin

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:17 am
@patriarch,
patriarch;96249 wrote:
Such an explaination is unacceptable.
Why can't I add the images as attachments? Uploading every picture one by one waste my precious time. By the way I cannot accept any revision that intervene my own essay. Such a barbaric action should be condemned. :thats-enough:

Unacceptable? Well pardon me... By all means, condemn away at will but, you're going to have to accept. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Uploading the images makes certain they remain here and attached to your essay for the life of the forum, not just the life of the links.

patriarch;96459 wrote:
Don't pretened to be silent.

There's no pretending here. I was just ignoring your comment. It 'wastes my precious time' responding to such remarks.

Be nice and take some time to make your essay available for years to come by uploading the example pics.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Law of thinking I&II and the six elements of thinking
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.2 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:12:30