Why Hello Thar

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 11:32 pm
Hi. I'm an American high school student who is very interested in philosophy. I mean, it poses the questions that are, in my opinion, the most important in life. Anyway, right now, I'm reading The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden. I also watched a forty-minute lecture online introducing Objectivism. I think that it is a very interesting philosophy, and though I would never call myself an Objectivist due to some fundamental differences between Ayn Rand's philosophy and my own, I think it has some very good points. I also have a collection of Plato's dialogues, including The Republic. So far, I've read "Meno" and started "Ion." It's interesting.

As for my non-philosophical life, I enjoy doing lots of stuff, like video games, music, Seinfeld, and hackey sack. I especially like listening to classic rock music of all varieties. Right now, for example, I'm listening to "Karn Evil 9" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

In any event, I'm glad to be on these forums, and I'm excited to participate in the discussions!

LouSalome

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:02 am
@Farthender,
I think it's good that you're getting started with philosophy. I am not a fan of Ayn Rand's philosophy, myself, but I also recognize that it is good to read certain arguments so that you better know your own position.

Anyway, I wish you excellent luck on your philosophical endeavors and welcome you here--though I myself am rather new.

Cheers.

boagie

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:36 am
@LouSalome,
Farthender,Smile

Welcome, it is good to see some young blood coming into these dialogues, better to diversify or take an eclectic approach sometimes, all in good time. You will be a most welcome addition, settle in and make yourself at home.Smile Again WELCOME!!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:44 am
@boagie,
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.

Such a great record - and Carl Palmer is a beast of a drummer!

Welcome to the forums.

Farthender

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 10:47 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Hey, thanks for all the welcomes!

Palmer is an amazing drummer. I myself, being a pianist, direct more attention toward Keith Emerson's great keyboarding, but they're all great.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 11:11 am
@Farthender,
And, as you can guess, I'm a drummer.

ELP was a great group. Wonderful musicians all three of them.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 06:41:30