A Further Exploration of the True Definition of Truth

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:17 pm
@ACB,
ACB;80536 wrote:

It is not a question of knowledge, but one of ontology. Let me ask you this: if you had perfect knowledge of everything, would you know whether Kennedy 'would have won' the 1964 election? In other words, is the answer a member of the set of all facts?

Sure. Why not? It is true now that Kennedy was assassinated; true a million years ago, and true, a million years hence. But, as you just said, it is not a question of knowledge. It is a question of truth (ontology). And, the set of all facts is the set of all truths.

ACB

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 05:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;80571 wrote:
Sure. Why not? It is true now that Kennedy was assassinated; true a million years ago, and true, a million years hence. But, as you just said, it is not a question of knowledge. It is a question of truth (ontology). And, the set of all facts is the set of all truths.

Sorry, I don't understand your answer. The question is not whether he was assassinated, but whether he would otherwise have won the subsequent election. But what precisely does "would have won" mean? Would have won if what? If he had been popular at the time? (Answer: yes.) If he had been unpopular? (Answer: no.) If he had decided not to run for a second term? (Answer: no.) You can invent all kinds of contingencies that will affect the answer. So how can there be a 'right' one? If just one is true, what makes it true?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 04:45 pm
@ACB,
ACB;80601 wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand your answer. The question is not whether he was assassinated, but whether he would otherwise have won the subsequent election. But what precisely does "would have won" mean? Would have won if what? If he had been popular at the time? (Answer: yes.) If he had been unpopular? (Answer: no.) If he had decided not to run for a second term? (Answer: no.) You can invent all kinds of contingencies that will affect the answer. So how can there be a 'right' one? If just one is true, what makes it true?

If it is true that Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, then, as I said, it was true in 1269 that Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, and it is true in 2189, that, Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

To say that Kennedy would have won need not be understood as a conditional, as you are understanding it. It can be understood as referring to the unfulfilled future. Just as saying the "could: in Kennedy could have won in 1963 is the past of "can". Not a conditional, with a hanging "if". What makes a statement about the future true is, of course, what would have happened in the future.

ACB

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 06:28 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;80821 wrote:
If it is true that Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, then, as I said, it was true in 1269 that Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, and it is true in 2189, that, Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

True in 2189, yes. True in 1269? Well, I tend to side with Aristotle on this, but for the purposes of this thread I'll accept your assertion. I want to concentrate on the question of Kennedy winning the 1964 election.

Quote:
To say that Kennedy would have won need not be understood as a conditional, as you are understanding it. It can be understood as referring to the unfulfilled future. Just as saying the "could: in Kennedy could have won in 1963 is the past of "can". Not a conditional, with a hanging "if".

I'm perfectly happy with "could have won", since it allows any alternative possibility, e.g. "could have lost" or "could have failed to contest". But "would have won" is different, as it rules out "would have lost" etc.

Quote:
What makes a statement about the future true is, of course, what would have happened in the future.

But I don't understand what "would have happened in the future" means in relation to non-existent courses of events. I understand what "would happen in the future" means in relation to actual courses of events (e.g. "In 1269 Kennedy would be assassinated in the future"). But what does "Kennedy (had he survived) would have won the 1964 election" mean without an 'if'?

You refer to the "unfulfilled future". What on earth is that? And how can you show (without begging the question) that it is unique?

ValueRanger

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 12:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;80166 wrote:
Scientific method, for instance, consists of argument, but certainly not pure reason.

Reason/rationality, contains the modular, scalar, weaker set (a range of behavior), of spontaneous a-ha's.

Mathematicians often consider emotional outbursts as direct sequitur to Original Cause. It is the scientific metrics that decipher conventional effect~cause relationships, and falsity is contained by this modular, scalar truth.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:59 am
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;80954 wrote:
Reason/rationality, contains the modular, scalar, weaker set (a range of behavior), of spontaneous a-ha's.

Mathematicians often consider emotional outbursts as direct sequitur to Original Cause. It is the scientific metrics that decipher conventional effect~cause relationships, and falsity is contained by this modular, scalar truth.

:surrender::surrender:

ValueRanger

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 01:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;81063 wrote:
:surrender::surrender:

It's quite simple: any accurate truth contains its opposite in the set (see: set theory), therefore, as long as time and space persist, false will eventually become true, and true will eventually become false (see: Flux).

Just do the math.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:19 pm
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;81633 wrote:
It's quite simple: any accurate truth contains its opposite in the set (see: set theory), therefore, as long as time and space persist, false will eventually become true, and true will eventually become false (see: Flux).

Just do the math.

I can discover this by math? I haven't learned that math. (False what, and true what)?

ValueRanger

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 01:47 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;81645 wrote:
I can discover this by math? I haven't learned that math. (False what, and true what)?

Balance.

What lacks in adding up, adds down (further negates).

When people fail to add value, they take away value (see the thread on Adding Value, Value Theory, and Value-Added Theory).

Human choice is easily correlated with the math of adding value through Strong choices, over Weak. In physics, there is the addition side, Strong Force, and the subtraction side, Weak Force (compare to Dialectics). The Golden Ratio works for those who know how to work their own deficiencies, toward their proficiencies (hopefully you can draw the parallels now), and equally work this Equation with peers.

Give-and-take reality (obviously give is add, and take is subtract) is synonymous with Heraclitus (Schopenhauer, etc.) Flux, and is directly referenced in the Wikipedia entry for Flux.

The greatest philosophers in history turned to math. At what level will you?

ACB

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 08:16 am
@ValueRanger,
Kennethamy - I would be interested in any comments you may have on my post #24.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:00 am
@ACB,
ACB;80838 wrote:
True in 2189, yes. True in 1269? Well, I tend to side with Aristotle on this, but for the purposes of this thread I'll accept your assertion. I want to concentrate on the question of Kennedy winning the 1964 election.

I'm perfectly happy with "could have won", since it allows any alternative possibility, e.g. "could have lost" or "could have failed to contest". But "would have won" is different, as it rules out "would have lost" etc.

But I don't understand what "would have happened in the future" means in relation to non-existent courses of events. I understand what "would happen in the future" means in relation to actual courses of events (e.g. "In 1269 Kennedy would be assassinated in the future"). But what does "Kennedy (had he survived) would have won the 1964 election" mean without an 'if'?

You refer to the "unfulfilled future". What on earth is that? And how can you show (without begging the question) that it is unique?

You believe there can be no truths about the future because the future does not exist. But why can't there be truths about the future because the future will exist? In 1962 there would be an election in 1964. And, it might be that anyone who ran in the election would have won. Including, JFK.

ACB

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 04:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;82085 wrote:
You believe there can be no truths about the future because the future does not exist. But why can't there be truths about the future because the future will exist?

By saying "the future will exist" you have presupposed what you are trying to prove. If the future will exist, then of course it is true that the future will exist, hence there is a truth about the future. But "the future will exist" is exactly the point I am questioning. Firstly, the world could theoretically end in a moment's time. Secondly, even if we concede that it is now true that a particular future time will exist, it does not follow that it is now true that a given future event will exist. (If it were true now that A rather than B will happen, it would mean that A is predetermined.)

kennethamy;82085 wrote:
In 1962 there would be an election in 1964. And, it might be that anyone who ran in the election would have won. Including, JFK.

In 1962 there would very probably be an election in 1964. And anyone who ran in it might have won. That is my point; there were an infinite number of possible scenarios.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 05:25 pm
@ACB,
ACB;82162 wrote:
By saying "the future will exist" you have presupposed what you are trying to prove. If the future will exist, then of course it is true that the future will exist, hence there is a truth about the future. But "the future will exist" is exactly the point I am questioning. Firstly, the world could theoretically end in a moment's time. Secondly, even if we concede that it is now true that a particular future time will exist, it does not follow that it is now true that a given future event will exist. (If it were true now that A rather than B will happen, it would mean that A is predetermined.)

In 1962 there would very probably be an election in 1964. And anyone who ran in it might have won. That is my point; there were an infinite number of possible scenarios.

Surely not infinite. I imagine many fewer than that. We would have to go back and examine what would have been the real possibilities. Nixon, maybe. (I suppose you mean, "very probably" as contrasted with "certain". But those are not the only alternatives. There is also knowing. We knew that there would be an election in 1964. Our belief that there would be was adequately justified, and, if it was true, then we knew it.

ACB

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;82176 wrote:
Surely not infinite. I imagine many fewer than that. We would have to go back and examine what would have been the real possibilities. Nixon, maybe.

Virtually infinite, if you count all the possible permutations of vote numbers. If it's just a question of who would have won, then of course the number is much smaller (and smaller still if you only count the likely main candidates). But still, any of the following could realistically have happened - JFK could have won; he could have been beaten by the Republican candidate, who could have been Goldwater (the actual candidate) or Nixon; he (JFK) could have withdrawn due to ill-health or scandal; or he could have been assassinated in early 1964. All these 'events' are ontologically (not just epistemologically) void, i.e. non-existent.

kennethamy;82176 wrote:
I suppose you mean, "very probably" as contrasted with "certain". But those are not the only alternatives. There is also knowing. We knew that there would be an election in 1964. Our belief that there would be was adequately justified, and, if it was true, then we knew it.

Yes. To be precise:
(a) In 1962 it was very probable that there would be an election in 1964, we knew it was very probable, and we knew that we knew this;
(b) In 1962 we believed there would be an election in 1964, and we believed we knew this, but we did not know that we knew it;
(c) We now know that we knew it, since there was indeed an election in 1964.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:57 am
@ACB,
ACB;82219 wrote:

(b) In 1962 we believed there would be an election in 1964, and we believed we knew this, but we did not know that we knew it;
(c) We now know that we knew it, since there was indeed an election in 1964.

That is right. But, then, we do not have to know we know, in order to know. In fact, it is the converse. We have to know in order to know we know. Whether or not we know we know (certainty) we know.

ACB

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 03:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;82316 wrote:
That is right. But, then, we do not have to know we know, in order to know. In fact, it is the converse. We have to know in order to know we know. Whether or not we know we know (certainty) we know.

Yes, I agree with that.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 03:39 pm
@ACB,
ACB;80315 wrote:
The two situations are quite different. There is certainly a fact of the matter whether there is extraterrestrial life, and you might well be right if you guess there is not. We are talking here about something that is (or is not) actually the case. The answer is somewhere 'out there'. But the answer to "Would Kennedy have been re-elected?" is nowhere to be found in the universe - nowhere in the totality of spacetime. He didn't contest the 1964 election, and that is all there is to be said.

You have tried to make the question answerable by supposing a fixed election. Firstly, I would ask: "But what if there were no evidence that the election was going to be fixed?" And secondly, even if there were, I would still contend that the question is meaningless if applied specifically to Kennedy and that particular election. If, on the other hand, you were to ask: "If an election is fixed in favour of a particular candidate, will he/she win?", the question would make sense, and the answer would be: "Very probably".

Why couldn't Kennedy be a particular candidate?

ACB

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 05:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;82377 wrote:
Why couldn't Kennedy be a particular candidate?

Because he was dead. Smile

You see, I am talking about a "particular candidate" who actually runs in the election in question. Kennedy did not do so (in 1964), and that is the difference. Events will determine the result of a future fixed election, but events will not determine the result of a 1964 election fixed in favour of Kennedy, because there was no such election. The result of an actual election is (or will be) a real entity, but the result of a 1964 election featuring Kennedy is nothing. (The phrase in bold has no reference.)

kennethamy

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:54 pm
@ACB,
ACB;82395 wrote:
Because he was dead. Smile

You see, I am talking about a "particular candidate" who actually runs in the election in question. Kennedy did not do so (in 1964), and that is the difference. Events will determine the result of a future fixed election, but events will not determine the result of a 1964 election fixed in favour of Kennedy, because there was no such election. The result of an actual election is (or will be) a real entity, but the result of a 1964 election featuring Kennedy is nothing. (The phrase in bold has no reference.)

Well, I amend it to, "had Kennedy been alive, and had run in the 1964 election". Won't that do the trick?

ACB

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;82817 wrote:
Well, I amend it to, "had Kennedy been alive, and had run in the 1964 election". Won't that do the trick?

All we can say is that, had Kennedy been alive and run in the 1964 election, he could have won and he could have lost. Likewise, the election could have been fixed and it could have been fair. We cannot say "would", because there is no basis for picking out a unique course of events.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:38:17