Sense knowledge common to man and beasts.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Sense knowledge common to man and beasts.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

DoEds

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 07:11 am
Let me hear what can you say about it...
Ideas,Concepts..

prothero

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 09:31 pm
@DoEds,
Well of course sensory organs and sensory perceptions of the world are common to man and beast. The exact range of perceptions varies from species to species depending on both mental and physical properteis of the brain and sense organs.
The kicker in the question would be "knowledge". What do you mean by "knowledge" as opposed to sense perception or experience?

Then there is the sense perception theory of knowledge. Empiricism vs Rationalism, etc.

jgweed

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:51 am
@DoEds,
There seem to be areas of sense-perception common to all locomotive animals, and areas not shared by all. For example, my dog and I avoid walking into the same trees on our daily trips; yet my dog can smell and hear things I cannot, and I can see things that she cannot. One supposes, moreover, that each of us attaches different meanings to the objects that we see in common; I see a rabbit hopping around in a field, she perhaps sees "something-to-play-with-and-eat."

If there is a philosophical question to be posed, then perhaps the original poster will elaborate on the topic to make it apparent.

DoEds

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 01:26 am
@DoEds,
Our bodily senses, both external and internal, are our primary contact with the outside world. The total impressions of stimuli on the senses constitute sense knowledge. Sense knowledge is common to man and beasts. But man is beyond the limitations of the senses. By his intellectual power of abstraction, he attains a level of intellectual knowledge. While sense knowledge is material, concrete and particular, intellectual knowledge. While sense knowledge is spiritual, abstract and universal. Simple apprehension is the first act of the intellect.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » Sense knowledge common to man and beasts.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 07:35:58