Belief and Reason: Which Comes First

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 09:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68838 wrote:
It seems to me that there are cultures, mostly in the East, where fanaticism is a good deal more prevalent, than in the West. It would be peculiar if this were not so, because to the stronger hold that religious fervor has in the West.

I think you meant to say, "because of the stronger hold that religious fervor has in the East."

But on that note, wouldn't you consider the rampant Jesus camps we have here in the West to be "religious fervor"? I would. 4-10 year olds round up and preached at for weeks on end, told what to think, how to act, what to believe. Not to mention, these young children (without the ability to rationalize any of this at the time being) are threatened by the horror of "Hell" and the fear they'll lose control to the "Devil". It's just as disturbing to me as those suicide bombers.

Surely we're not the only ones guilty of assimilating religious fanatics.

Disclaimer: I understand not every Westerner supports this, obviously. But, from my experience, the majority does turn a blind eye.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 10:01 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;68970 wrote:
I think you meant to say, "because of the stronger hold that religious fervor has in the East."

But on that note, wouldn't you consider the rampant Jesus camps we have here in the West to be "religious fervor"? I would. 4-10 year olds round up and preached at for weeks on end, told what to think, how to act, what to believe. Not to mention, these young children (without the ability to rationalize any of this at the time being) are threatened by the horror of "Hell" and the fear they'll lose control to the "Devil". It's just as disturbing to me as those suicide bombers.

It seems to me we're the ones that have assimilated the religious fanatics, if anyone. Seemingly, our only breaking point is murder. Scaring young children to abide by our personal desires is acceptable however.

Disclaimer: I understand not every Westerner supports this, obviously. But, from my experience, the majority does turn a blind eye.

There are pockets of fervor and insanity in the United States, certainly. But it is not like the Middle East in which there are not just pockets. Read Naipaul's, Among the Believers to see what I mean.

Zetherin

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 10:14 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;68977 wrote:
There are pockets of fervor and insanity in the United States, certainly. But it is not like the Middle East in which there are not just pockets. Read Naipaul's, Among the Believers to see what I mean.

But the Middle East is only a small part of the Eastern world.

According to this, at least: Eastern world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think we can say that all Eastern culture (cultures known within this defined Eastern world) is more accepting of religious fanatics. Obviously there are many peaceful Buddhists, Taoists, and Muslims. Perhaps this is more than just pockets in the Middle East, but it seems to me elsewhere the pockets exist just as they do in the United States. Am I completely wrong?

Granted, I've been to many Eastern countries, but I haven't spent enough time there to really be qualified in making a generalization either way.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;68978 wrote:
But the Middle East is only a small part of the Eastern world.

According to this, at least: Eastern world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think we can say that all Eastern culture (cultures known within this defined Eastern world) is more accepting of religious fanatics. Obviously there are many peaceful Buddhists, Taoists, and Muslims. Perhaps this is more than just pockets in the Middle East, but it seems to me elsewhere the pockets exist just as they do in the United States. Am I completely wrong?

Granted, I've been to many Eastern countries, but I haven't spent enough time there to really be qualified in making a generalization either way.

Fine. Confine my remark to the Middle East, then. Although there is a long record of fanaticism in the subcontinent and in Japan.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:55:37