On trinities and self-knowledge

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » On trinities and self-knowledge

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 07:19 pm
If Go was unity, wouldn't He not be able to know Himself? I've heard this argument many times in service o defending the Trinity, but can you explain this further?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:59 pm
@Protoman2050,
Theologically, I tend to be opposed to trinitarianism, though I do find trinitarianism useful as personal meditation. Can't say that I understand this argument. Is there a particular source you have in mind?

Protoman2050

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:02 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Theologically, I tend to be opposed to trinitarianism, though I do find trinitarianism useful as personal meditation. Can't say that I understand this argument. Is there a particular source you have in mind?

I've heard it all over the place.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:05 pm
@Protoman2050,
Maybe, then, you could give a classic example of the argument, or elaborate on the argument.

Protoman2050

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:11 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Maybe, then, you could give a classic example of the argument, or elaborate on the argument.

If God were unity, then He'd be both the knower and the known. All knowledge requires the knower and the known to be seperate entities in some form or another. Therefore, God must be a multiplicity of persons.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:13 am
@Protoman2050,
Quote:
If God were unity, then He'd be both the knower and the known. All knowledge requires the knower and the known to be seperate entities in some form or another. Therefore, God must be a multiplicity of persons.

Why are we thinking of God in the terms of being a person in the first place?

Protoman2050

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:15 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Why are we thinking of God in the terms of being a person in the first place?

Because only personal entities can love, suffer, etc.

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 12:18 am
@Protoman2050,
It seems more likely to me because we can't conceptualize what is beyond us so we draw an analogy as best we can/

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:11 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Quote:
Because only personal entities can love, suffer, etc.

Does God really love, suffer, ect like humans do, or do we use this sort of language figuratively. Seems mighty dangerous to think of God a we think of a human being.

iconoclast

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:25 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
Does God really love, suffer, ect like humans do, or do we use this sort of language figuratively. Seems mighty dangerous to think of God a we think of a human being.

No, not in the way you do. Omiscience doesn't allow me to emphasize someone's good qualities in a romantic way without also seeing all the bad things about them - or indeed, seeing them as one of billions of others very much like them. I love humankind and will suffer for you if you fail to survive.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » On trinities and self-knowledge
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 01:25:30