What would you like?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » What would you like?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:51 pm
Imagine that you were given the power to shape reality, to preside over creation itself. Imagine that your ideals became truth the very moment they were born. If you could determine what knowledge was--if you could create knowedge--what would you have it be? There are no rules: you are the rule. What would you make knowledge comprise?

Aedes

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 01:54 pm
@saiboimushi,
Knowledge is inherent in the mind. It doesn't exist alone. To change what knowledge is would mean changing the way humans think. Is that your question?

Doobah47

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 02:36 pm
@saiboimushi,
To be honest knowledge is simply belief, not justified (never absolute) and clearly untrue (perception/language = reality is a false supposition). However it is possible that subconscious mechanisms allow us to know ourselves (that is if the nucleii of atoms do not converse or perceive). So I would like subconscious mechanisms to be closer to the foreground of our minds, not stuck in the background operating subliminally and occassionally delivering a Freudian slip or memorable dream.

saiboimushi

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 04:54 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Knowledge is inherent in the mind. It doesn't exist alone. To change what knowledge is would mean changing the way humans think. Is that your question?

Aedes! It's great to hear from you.

My little game is wholly indefensible. But don't worry about changing anything. There is nothing to change, no law to violate, not even the law of noncontradiction. In playing this game, you can say, "To hell with truth and logic and common sense." Just tell me what you want knowledge to be. Tell me your desire.

saiboimushi

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 04:56 pm
@saiboimushi,
Quote:
So I would like subconscious mechanisms to be closer to the foreground of our minds, not stuck in the background operating subliminally and occassionally delivering a Freudian slip or memorable dream.

Ask, and ye shall recieve!! Ye cannot ask amiss in this devilish game.

Tell me more, my friends. Unpack your hearts with words. Confess your longings, lest ye be accounted unworthy of wisdom! Only true LOVERS may enter by the door.

Fido

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:17 pm
@saiboimushi,
saiboimushi wrote:
Imagine that you were given the power to shape reality, to preside over creation itself. Imagine that your ideals became truth the very moment they were born. If you could determine what knowledge was--if you could create knowedge--what would you have it be? There are no rules: you are the rule. What would you make knowledge comprise?

If I had the power, I would change nothing of reality. I have just about got reality figured out, and I would not want to do it twice. Nor would I want great power because I have plenty, and I have not figured myself out, though I presume virtue is easier to support when one is powerless to do otherwise. With the power I have I make knowledge wisdom because knowledge not wisdom is a waste of time and life.

Fido

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:21 pm
@saiboimushi,
saiboimushi wrote:
Ask, and ye shall recieve!! Ye cannot ask amiss in this devilish game.

Tell me more, my friends. Unpack your hearts with words. Confess your longings, lest ye be accounted unworthy of wisdom! Only true LOVERS may enter by the door.

Do you suppose foreskin was meant where foreground was said?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:56 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
To be honest knowledge is simply belief, not justified (never absolute) and clearly untrue (perception/language = reality is a false supposition).

You think it is untrue that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and that I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? I suggest you look it up, just as I did.

saiboimushi

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:07 pm
@kennethamy,
Knowledge, were it to be whatever I wanted it to be, would be the infinite self-perception of an infinite Self, an infinite Truth. And yet I have no idea what this means lol

ogden

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:24 pm
@saiboimushi,
Knowledge would be fruit on a tree in a garden, and I would eat it.Very Happy

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 06:57 pm
@saiboimushi,
I would make knowledge less extreme.

saiboimushi

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:11 pm
@ogden,
Quote:
Knowledge would be fruit on a tree in a garden, and I would eat it.Very Happy

You win the game, Ogden! Awesome response.

Quote:
Knowledge, were it to be whatever I wanted it to be, would be the infinite self-perception of an infinite Self, an infinite Truth.

And I would be that infinite Self. Mwahahahahaha!

Quatl

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
@saiboimushi,
AH! But that I could know the whole of creation, in the biblical sense!

Fido

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 01:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Doobah47 wrote:
To be honest knowledge is simply belief, not justified (never absolute) and clearly untrue (perception/language = reality is a false supposition).

You think it is untrue that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and that I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? I suggest you look it up, just as I did.

I am with thee Doobah47, until reality as a false supposition. Now, reality is reality, and reality is our concept by the same name, and our perception of reality, while always flawed and incomplete, is not all there is to reality. An idea as an abstraction is by nature incomplete, but in this sense it like a box of tools a few tools short, which is to say, no idea serves every purpose or tells the complete truth, and telling involves another level of abstraction with a greater degree of difficulty. I concieve of ideas not to tell truth, or to transmit knowledge, but to aid understanding. If we could not put the parts and pieces of reality in some relationship to each other through ideas we could not understand it in the least or manipulate it at all.

Doobah47

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Doobah47 wrote:

Although one can say that a fact is correct, in 'knowing' (know in your sense, the common concept of knowing) you fail to comprehend anything other than a piece of language, what you 'know' is the word and not Quito. In my concept of knowing, in order to know that Quito is x you must have an intuitive subconscious awareness and deep felt understanding of Quito (the place) in order to 'know' anything about Quito.

Doobah47

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:41 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
kennethamy wrote:

I am with thee Doobah47, until reality as a false supposition. .

You've misread. I didn't mean that reality is a false supposition, i meant that 'perception/language = reality' is a false supposition. the technical words of my statement might be incorrect (ie supposition/theory/formula).

What I think is that in order for any statement to be true then the language must be equal to the reality, and that is never possible.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Epistemology
  3. » What would you like?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:01:24