How do you know whatever you KNOW you KNOW?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 07:01 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
What is it about Quito perhaps being the Captial of Equador?

I am not all that familiar with Quito, or with Ecuador, for that matter. But this I know, and know full well, Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and the fact that it is not essential to my life that I know it is irrelevant to whether or not I know it.

P.S. I also know that La Paz is the capital of Bolivia, and Ascunsion is the capital of Paraguay.

Fido

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 08:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I am not all that familiar with Quito, or with Ecuador, for that matter. But this I know, and know full well, Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and the fact that it is not essential to my life that I know it is irrelevant to whether or not I know it.

P.S. I also know that La Paz is the capital of Bolivia, and Ascunsion is the capital of Paraguay.

Cool, but if the contest is useless knowledge in one head, I could fill an airline terminal. And that, to me is the sore spot. In advance of the end of ones life no one can say what is useless or useful. Most people know what they have to know to do what they have to do, and that is fine with them. I am a slow learner, and so, a life time learner, and all I can hope is that all I think I know and have never found a use for will some day give me an insight out of all proportion to the space it is occupying for free.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 07:00 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Cool, but if the contest is useless knowledge in one head, I could fill an airline terminal. And that, to me is the sore spot. In advance of the end of ones life no one can say what is useless or useful. Most people know what they have to know to do what they have to do, and that is fine with them. I am a slow learner, and so, a life time learner, and all I can hope is that all I think I know and have never found a use for will some day give me an insight out of all proportion to the space it is occupying for free.

Well, whether the knowledge that Quito is the capital of Ecuador may not be useful in your case, but it would be very useful for a student who was taking a test on South American capitals. But, in any case, useless knowledge is, nevertheless, knowledge.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 11:58:43